Match Thread Coventry City - Rotherham United FC Match Thread - Tuesday 5th Mar (3 Viewers)

SeaSeeEffCee

Never thought I’d be bored watching us win 5-0, let alone twice in 8 days!

but no seriously, a good performance all round, can’t ask for much more than they’re given tonight. Simms the standout of course but Palmer was very good again too. I like Eccles at RWB, think he suits that role pretty well. Subs seemed to kill our momentum a little bit.

Otis

Kelly made quite a few errors tonight unfortunately. Gave the ball away a couple of times and was caught in possession a few times too.

Not one of his better games.

Skyblue Bangkok

Kelly just plays the simple ball back to the 3 and then we're forwards again. Can't understand the criticisms, except on pace, that's fair, he makes up for it by not making mistakes! Wright also good I thought, can't understand the criticisms, it was when he and Palmer went off that we struggled to maintain what we had going in the first half. And as for those worried we'd be embarrased... I watched on sky, have to say it didn't sound like much of an atmosphere - it's been heaving the last 10 minutes of Ipswich/Brizzle by comparison.
Probably because we were 4 nil up after 37 and the Ipswich v Bristol game was level till the 90th min.

larry_david

Kelly made quite a few errors tonight unfortunately. Gave the ball away a couple of times and was caught in possession a few times too.

Not one of his better games.
Yeah in the first 5 mins. From then on he was decent. Those saying he only plays backwards missed the first time 45 yard ping straight to the feet of Eccles who was one on one with their fullback.

But yeah, 5-0 win and a full 90 mins for the captain and veteran and we'll have a dig at him why not 🤣

Whilst I'm on one, if Tavares keeps taking chances like that he'll starting working his way to being a legitimate option.

Otis

Yeah in the first 5 mins. From then on he was decent. Those saying he only plays backwards missed the first time 45 yard ping straight to the feet of Eccles who was one on one with their fullback.

But yeah, 5-0 win and a full 90 mins for the captain and veteran and we'll have a dig at him why not 🤣

Whilst I'm on one, if Tavares keeps taking chances like that he'll starting working his way to being a legitimate option.
Agree. I have to confess, I had written Tavares off. But that was a very fine finish tonight.

Kelly was caught in possession at least twice in the second half.

Don't think he was bad, but it wasn't one of his best.

Otis

I honestly didn’t think we were worthy of 5-0 tonight, waited for errors so we could score. The biggest positive was Simms finishing.

Haji put a shift in his holding up play was great and contributed a lot.
I think we WERE worthy of a 5-0, because Rotherham were so bad.

Ccfcisparks

Agree. I have to confess, I had written Tavares off. But that was a very fine finish tonight.

Kelly was caught in possession at least twice in the second half.

Don't think he was bad, but it wasn't one of his best.
Kelly lost possession once in the entire game with a 92% pass completion according to who scored.

Torp lost the ball twice and had a pass completion of 88%.

not sure where the criticism of Kelly is coming from

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Probably because we were 4 nil up after 37 and the Ipswich v Bristol game was level till the 90th min.

On the subject of Ipswich, it’s looking more like we will be left with at least one of Leeds, Southampton (and maybe even Leicester if they keep losing) next season, and with Burnley (who pissed the league last season and will be stronger still with more money to spend and Kompany still in charge), and maybe Forest and Everton threatened with deductions and relegation, despite what people say the Championship next season could be stronger than this season…..

Just saying

theferret

Let's be honest, we cruised to that and were well worthy. Anyone trying to pick fault is trying too hard. Second half it settled into that usual pattern you often see when teams race to a big 1st half lead. We were a bit too passive but we didn't need to get out of second gear. Goal difference looking very healthy. Still think we'll fall short, but it won't be by much if we do.

Otis

On the subject of Ipswich, it’s looking more like we will be left with at least one of Leeds, Southampton (and maybe even Leicester if they keep losing) next season, and with Burnley (who pissed the league last season and will be stronger still with more money to spend and Kompany still in charge), and maybe Forest and Everton threatened with deductions and relegation, despite what people say the Championship next season could be stronger than this season…..

Just saying
We should be stronger next season. We now have building bricks in place for next season.

I think Simms and Wright will be fine. We do need a third striker though.

Torp, Sheaf and Eccles are all very good standard Championship players and I think Thomas and Kitching will be stronger next season too

With a few astute acquisitions, I think we will do very well.

stevefloyd

Kelly has just come back from injury(again) he always plays better when he has played a few games but he is limited on his passing, Eccles was the same passing back a lot too but he had a decent game

shmmeee

Kelly lost possession once in the entire game with a 92% pass completion according to who scored.

He’s just a nothing player playing above his level. So he spends the whole game playing one twos with the CBs. I’m not surprised he never loses the ball. Neither would I. Torp actually tries to move us forwards, comparing the two is ridiculous.

stevefloyd

Being posted on here Rotherham were poor but lets give ourselves some credit, we knocked the stuffing out of them just like when we had the stuffing knocked out of us against Preston, Rotherham were not great but we done our job and scored the old five 😀

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

you mean the 45 yard ping from Kitching?

Kelly did a job, but we do need a huge upgrade to be taken seriously as contenders and to stand a chance against better teams, well that and obviously Ben Sheaf back fit

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s just a nothing player playing above his level. So he spends the whole game playing one twos with the CBs. I’m not surprised he never loses the ball. Neither would I. Torp actually tries to move us forwards, comparing the two is ridiculous.
Kelly had a solid game, until Sheaf is fit he should probably start. The leadership, organisation and defensive play warrants it.

Eccles seemed to have more freedom out wide so I’d probably give MVE a rest against Watford too.

For all his faults, Kelly is generally a reliable performer even if he is unspectacular.

Mr Panda

It’s just good to be honest of a players limitations. He hasn’t done anything wrong tonight but he’ll be exposed against better teams

shmmeee

Kelly had a solid game, until Sheaf is fit he should probably start. The leadership, organisation and defensive play warrants a start.

Eccles seemed to have more freedom out wide so I’d probably give MVE a rest against Watford too.

For all his faults, Kelly is generally a reliable performer even if he is unspectacular.

Yeah but that doesn’t stop me finding him extremely frustrating. This is all a bit “Wilson kept a clean sheet against Maidstone” for me. Even today he didn’t impose himself, just had nothing to do but slow our attacks down for no reason.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

We should be stronger next season. We now have building bricks in place for next season.

I think Simms and Wright will be fine. We do need a third striker though.

Torp, Sheaf and Eccles are all very good standard Championship players and I think Thomas and Kitching will be stronger next season too

With a few astute acquisitions, I think we will do very well.

🤞🏼

baldy

I thought it was Kitching who pinged it to Eccles?

enigma

Let's be honest, we cruised to that and were well worthy. Anyone trying to pick fault is trying too hard. Second half it settled into that usual pattern you often see when teams race to a big 1st half lead. We were a bit too passive but we didn't need to get out of second gear. Goal difference looking very healthy. Still think we'll fall short, but it won't be by much if we do.
Great comment and agree 100%. I personally think if we beat wolves playoffs are gone. Lose to wolves and it is back on. It’s one or the other! The team today picked off a very weak opposition and showed superiority, if wolves give us a slight sniff then we’re going to Wembley. If they don’t then like I said we will finish strong.

fernandopartridge

you mean the 45 yard ping from Kitching?

Kelly did a job, but we do need a huge upgrade to be taken seriously as contenders and to stand a chance against better teams, well that and obviously Ben Sheaf back fit
Taken seriously by who? We literally are contenders and he's played in a 5-0 home win. He also played in the run to the play offs and the play offs themselves last season.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah but that doesn’t stop me finding him extremely frustrating. This is all a bit “Wilson kept a clean sheet against Maidstone” for me. Even today he didn’t impose himself, just had nothing to do but slow our attacks down for no reason.
For sure, Kelly is a limited player and will probably be in L1 next season.

After two wobbly performances, we just needed a steady head in the team and rotate some tired players out.

shmmeee

For sure, Kelly is a limited player and will probably be in L1 next season.

After two wobbly performances, we just needed a steady head in the team and rotate some tired players out.

Yeah he gave MvE a rest, I get why he played and it was the right game for him.

Seaside-Skyblue

Just such a frustrating midfielder. I get he’s not at the level quality wise, but just awfully safe at all times. Even 5-0 up against the worst we’ve played all season. I get people love him for the meme but come on.
By doing that though, it's saved a few legs for the next few games. I get it's not flashy and a bit boring at times but the more our team had the ball and were not running after Rotherham players the better.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Taken seriously by who? We literally are contenders and he's played in a 5-0 home win. He also played in the run to the play offs and the play offs themselves last season.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, but the point of the post is to highlight that there are players in the squad that aren’t really good enough to be in a playoff team.

3 points off playoffs with the best GD of the teams around us so the comment that we’re not serious contenders was ridiculous.

Evo1883

In Kelly's defence tonight , he made more passes into the final 3rd than torp did 6 compared to 4

shmmeee

By doing that though, it's saved a few legs for the next few games. I get it's not flashy and a bit boring at times but the more our team had the ball and were not running after Rotherham players the better.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Im not convinced it helps us keep the ball so much as bring pressure on us TBH. I feel the same about Palmer and O’Hares stupid static one twos two feet apart they started up this season. It does nothing, moves no one and just gives the opponent time to close/set up. If it broke with a ball past the press fair enough but it never does, just ends up with us going backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread