Council Less Reid JLR CCFC (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

The council seemed to have a aligned themselves very much with Wasps and JLR.
At the recent event in Cannes. Wasps had invested in the event for the Council.
The event was to raise investment in the city. The council employees were there wearing wasps lanyards doing their interviews.
Jaguar Land Rover are heavily linked to Wasps and now it seems the council. Investing hundreds of millions into Coventry.
The council have embraced Wasps, who have in turn embraced the Council.
JLR seems to be embracing both.
There seems to be money coming into the city and I would guess ACL in the future in terms of sponsorship.

Then on the flip side we have CCFC embracing Les Reid and the observer attacking the council.
The JR attacking the council.
Threatening to move out of the City building a new stadium that 'has' to be out of the city.

It just seems to me at a very very bad moment we are fighting a lost cause and cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

We should be at the table with Wasps JLR and the Council.

It really is a crying shame

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think it's time for a big hug.

Moff

Frankly Dongo they way I feel, SISU, Wasps, The Council, and JLR, fuck them all. I want a new owner with none of these helmets involved.

RedSalmon

The event was to raise investment in the city. The council employees were there wearing wasps lanyards doing their interviews.
Jaguar Land Rover are heavily linked to Wasps and now it seems the council. Investing hundreds of millions into Coventry.
There seems to be money coming into the city and I would guess ACL in the future in terms of sponsorship.

Then on the flip side we have CCFC embracing Les Reid and the observer attacking the council.
Threatening to move out of the City building a new stadium that 'has' to be out of the city.

It just seems to me at a very very bad moment we are fighting a lost cause and cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

Well put, it seems as though CCFC, SISU and everything that goes with them are being very slowly marginalised and the Council are out manouvering them.

Moff

It's just disappointing they are not involved in these exciting times for the city

Not sure how exiting it is a company replacing the car building that they previously removed from the City leaving thousands out of work a number of years ago.
Yay well done JLR for bringing back what was here previously

torchomatic

Don't agree that CCFC have embraced Reid; he seems a lone wolf to me.

Agree though that CCC certainly have rmbraced the Londoners.

Gint11

Not sure how exiting it is a company replacing the car building that they previously removed from the City leaving thousands out of work a number of years ago.

Can't please everyone can we! It's a step forward and good for the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Ah yes the Cannes event.

That was the immortal quote from Lucas "London is too full new cities are needed and we have great hulking rugby players, who can refuse us" quality.

dongonzalos

Your right potentially 11,000 jobs is shit news for the City.

cloughie

Yes but if you aren't selling cars so they hadn't got jobs back then,

Yet this is new ownership, which is required to get CCFC back up there, rejuvenated just like JLR

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Browns Lane was a 60 year old plant, part of a failing automotive group.

The new JLR plants will be the most modern in the country, and part of a company that is growing rapidly.

Ian1779

The best the council have ever offered the football club is first go at the crumbs on the floor.

duffer

Browns Lane was a 60 year old plant, part of a failing automotive group.

The new JLR plants will be the most modern in the country, and part of a company that is growing rapidly.

As someone who worked for Jaguar, and Land Rover, and JLR combined, and Rover for that matter, I've got to say that's not a view that I'd agree with.

By the time Browns Lane was shut down, it had a quality and production record second to none. A lot of good, clever, hard-working people there were let down by poor decisions much further up the tree, and indeed outside of JLR itself ultimately.

What rescued JLR was, imho, an owner who invested properly in high-end product development, and moved away from Ford's daft gamble to dilute the brand by selling high-volume low-prestige cars based on Mondeos. What really helped though was the opening up and explosion of wealth in the emerging economies like China, and the demand for prestige brands in those places.

It would be great to have Jaguar back making cars in Coventry. There is no single brand that I am prouder of as a Coventrian. However, I can make a pretty decent case for why it should never have left.

Regardless, there isn't much that this City does brilliantly - but our automotive engineering talent hereabouts is unmatched. I absolutely salute the council for doing whatever they can to bring Jag (in a manufacturing sense) back home.

To go back to the OP though, Wasps have got sod all to do with that, or with the City. The only reason the council are right behind them, and vice versa, is that they've got to back up an awfully big gamble that they've taken.

dongonzalos

As someone who worked for Jaguar, and Land Rover, and JLR combined, and Rover for that matter, I've got to say that's not a view that I'd agree with.

By the time Browns Lane was shut down, it had a quality and production record second to none. A lot of good, clever, hard-working people there were let down by poor decisions much further up the tree, and indeed outside of JLR itself ultimately.

What rescued JLR was, imho, an owner who invested properly in high-end product development, and moved away from Ford's daft gamble to dilute the brand by selling high-volume low-prestige cars based on Mondeos. What really helped though was the opening up and explosion of wealth in the emerging economies like China, and the demand for prestige brands in those places.

It would be great to have Jaguar back making cars in Coventry. There is no single brand that I am prouder of as a Coventrian. However, I can make a pretty decent case for why it should never have left.

Regardless, there isn't much that this City does brilliantly - but our automotive engineering talent hereabouts is unmatched. I absolutely salute the council for doing whatever they can to bring Jag (in a manufacturing sense) back home.

To go back to the OP though, Wasps have got sod all to do with that, or with the City. The only reason the council are right behind them, and vice versa, is that they've got to back up an awfully big gamble that they've taken.

Wasps will be enjoying it as we should be. I never said they created it.

Grendel

You reap what you sow in this world unfortunately for us. Well us fans anyway. If we are only getting crumbs.....

Not really. Most councils bend over backwards to help their local clubs - it's only because we have spineless people like you who assume position and unquestioningly part your legs every time the council enters you room that we are where we are.

letsallsingtogether

Not really. Most councils bend over backwards to help their local clubs - it's only because we have spineless people like you who assume position and unquestioningly part your legs every time the council enters you room that we are where we are.

So as an employee of JLR do you think this is a good deal or should the council have given it to Sisu for free?

Grendel

letsallsingtogether

Given sisu what for free?

The land after all they don't want to pay for anything and if hey do they want it only on their terms.

Any way going back to the origanal question is it a good thing for JLR or not?

dongonzalos

Your right most councils do and ours are doing it with a Rugby club from 80 miles away. It must have took an extraordinary set of circumstances to motivate a council to court and bend over backwards for a team not from their own patch.

Such a shame

Last edited:

Gosford Green

As unpalatable as it might sound to some, the only way out of the SISU spiral is for the club to be part of this Wasps / JLR power base that is emerging in the city.

Lets hope that the Chinese carry on buying Range Rovers.

DaleM

We all know the history and "Bad Blood" between our owners and CCC. Perhaps if SISU fucked off and new owners came in who wanted to work with CCC then CCFC could possibly get a slice of the pie.

The Ricoh is now lost but someone new with a good business plan incorporating the football club could work with the council and identify another site to develop within the City and actually do something about it . Not bullshit and bluster which is what SISU's mouthpieces are doing continuously.

Perhaps the "battering people in court" line was a really bad idea.

CCFC are suffering because of who owns us. It really is a crying shame and I can't see it getting any better while SISU are the owners. After all the shit and court cases I can't see CCC ever wanting to work with them again. :(

Captain Dart

Having just peeked at the Coventry Observslur web site Mr Reid's latest diatribes are a couple of attacks on the Labour group in the council.. he certainly knows his enemy..

I'm no fan of Labour, but this man is completely out of touch, where are the stories about the new JLR & LTI factories.. quite important stories I'd have thought.

dongonzalos

Having just peeked at the Coventry Observslur web site Mr Reid's latest diatribes are a couple of attacks on the Labour group in the council.. he certainly knows his enemy..

I'm no fan of Labour, but this man is completely out of touch, where are the stories about the new JLR & LTI factories.. quite important stories I'd have thought.

Just noticed the same thing. The front page of the observer looks like a conservative campaign leaflet put through your door.

eastwoodsdustman

Didn't Jaguar pull the plug on Sponsorship of the ground when it was first built. It could well have helped our financial situation at the time but with hindsight, would probably have been siphoned off to the council or somewhere else either directly or indirectly.

duffer

As unpalatable as it might sound to some, the only way out of the SISU spiral is for the club to be part of this Wasps / JLR power base that is emerging in the city.

Lets hope that the Chinese carry on buying Range Rovers.

And again, and I'm really bored of saying this - what exactly does anyone think Wasps are going to give the club?

Both clubs claim (legitimately enough, looking at the books) to need access to the 24/7/365 revenues from ACL. Only one club can have them.

dongonzalos

You make it sound like the problem only began 7 years ago. It's been 20 years in the making.

Nope I am saying the current owners are getting the rewards now for their own actions over the last 7 years.

There is a really good working relationship between CCC, wasps, ACL and JLR. CCFC should be part of this but we have alienated ourselves and are not getting a slice of the pie

lewys33

Why are so many people bothered about what JLR are doing all of a sudden?

People are getting far too deep in to this. Can't we just slag Barton off and leave it at that? Everyone is an expert these days.

Grendel

Nope I am saying the current owners are getting the rewards now for their own actions over the last 7 years.

There is a really good working relationship between CCC, wasps, ACL and JLR. CCFC should be part of this but we have alienated ourselves and are not getting a slice of the pie

We were alienated a long time ago. What's this great relationship between wasps and ACL?

Land Rover sponsor wasps shirts and what else?

Users who are viewing this thread