Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (34 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't tell the shitty media pricks.

This should help, also on BBC.

Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at University of Oxford, says he is encouraged by what he sees and the numbers "don't look too intimidating", although he adds the government is right to be cautious ahead of making its decision.

He tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I do think we need to keep our eye on hospitalisations, serious disease and deaths which is really what we are trying to manage.

"If we scamper down a rabbit hole every time we see a new variant we are going to spend a long time huddled away so we do need to keep a bit of balance to the discussion and keep our eyes on the serious disease we are trying to prevent."

clint van damme

This should help, also on BBC.

There was a fella on 5live this morning who said hospitalisations are going up because as pressure is easing they are admitting people who wouldn't have been admitted when things were at there peak.
I 5hink along as deaths stay low we'll be ok, to state the obvious

chiefdave

I see the governments great plan for catching kids up after missing a year of school is... less than 4 hours of tutoring.

I’m sure that’ll do it. Thanks Bozza.
Don’t forget cutting lunch breaks.
The Education Secretary has suggested that school lunch breaks could be cut by half an hour to give children more time for lessons, amid a tutor funding shortfall.

Ministers are searching for ways to help pupils catch up on time missed due to Covid-19 without spending the amount of money their advisors say is necessary for extra resources.

Brighton Sky Blue

There was a fella on 5live this morning who said hospitalisations are going up because as pressure is easing they are admitting people who wouldn't have been admitted when things were at there peak.

Is that hospitalisations for milder COVID cases or non COVID?

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah any teacher will tell you kids who don’t get a decent lunch are soooo ready to learn in the afternoon. Rainy days are basically free catchup, kids so focused.

Most schools I've been in the teachers' lunch break is half an hour already. The whole framing of this is wrong anyway, 'keep them in for longer in conditions that already don't work', then wonder why you have even fewer people wanting to do the job.

For me the single best thing they could do is commit to capping class sizes to a maximum of 24/25, ideally lower. Which would require substantial investment in school buildings that haven't seen such money since the Blair years and a bigger focus on teacher retention rather than recruitment

shmmeee

Most schools I've been in the teachers' lunch break is half an hour already. The whole framing of this is wrong anyway, 'keep them in for longer in conditions that already don't work', then wonder why you have even fewer people wanting to do the job.

For me the single best thing they could do is commit to capping class sizes to a maximum of 24/25, ideally lower. Which would require substantial investment in school buildings that haven't seen such money since the Blair years and a bigger focus on teacher retention rather than recruitment

Hark at you with lunchbreaks! Fancy! :p

Agreed about class sizes. It’s the actual difference between state and private schools. Will never forget the first year my old school was an academy and we were expanding the staff but hadn’t got the intake yet. Classes were 15-25 and we absolutely flew through the curriculum.

The “class sizes don’t matter” crowd are some of the weirdest in education. Clearly I can teach one person better than a stadium full, the rest is arguing over details.

fernandopartridge

Possibly, it'd be useful to see the average length of stay of admissions.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hark at you with lunchbreaks! Fancy! :p

Agreed about class sizes. It’s the actual difference between state and private schools. Will never forget the first year my old school was an academy and we were expanding the staff but hadn’t got the intake yet. Classes were 15-25 and we absolutely flew through the curriculum.

The “class sizes don’t matter” crowd are some of the weirdest in education. Clearly I can teach one person better than a stadium full, the rest is arguing over details.

Fewer books to mark, fewer data points and reports to write, fewer trouble makers to chuck out and more time spent actually teaching and helping people to learn. Doing the opposite but for an hour longer just pisses everyone off and will drive people out of the profession even faster

stupot07

They are doing more electives, and therefore have a different pressure on impatient beds.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

Read something similar at the weekend. Younger people being admitted, therefore less severe and turned around (out) a lot quicker. Let’s hope that continues*

*quick turnaround, not hospitalisations !

jordan210

Fully expecting teachers to be labelled lazy if they object to a shorter lunch break and / or extending the school day.

Teachers dont really have a lunch break at the moment anyway, Well not in Primary. As kids currently have to eat in class room. So they have to help supervise that.

Partner is a primary teacher. She leaves home around 7:30 and get homes after 6 (school is 10 miss price away(. She then has work to do when at home. Crazy that people think teachers can find more time.

Last edited:

Ian1779

I see the governments great plan for catching kids up after missing a year of school is... less than 4 hours of tutoring.

I’m sure that’ll do it. Thanks Bozza.
The wife was stressing yesterday about having to be in school longer. Luckily as soon as she said there was to be significant investment from the Government to implement it was a nailed on non-starter.

D

Deleted member 4439

“Levelling up”

I bet he pisses himself at the people spending their time defending this shite.

Well, I'm here right now in a departmental briefing, where everybody's (i.e. the Cabinet Office Perm Sec) saying its a great day and a great achievement, for which we should be proud.

Johnnythespider

Will school staff be paid for these extra hours or will they be expected to just get on with it as my wife does at the minute, she does hours of unpaid overtime every week already.

Ian1779

Well, I'm here right now in a departmental briefing, where everybody's (i.e. the Cabinet Office Perm Sec) saying its a great day and a great achievement, for which we should be proud.
Absolute fuckwits the lot of them.

shmmeee

We were always at war with Eurasia

Will school staff be paid for these extra hours or will they be expected to just get on with it as my wife does at the minute, she does hours of unpaid overtime every week already.

Do you really need to ask?

shmmeee

Such a bunch of bullshitters. Great opportunity to actually make some real changes. Higher wages, better jobs at home, level up the country. And all these cunts ever do is the bare minimum, some statistical fuckery, and a bunch of PR. Absolute chancers.

Evo1883

“Levelling up”

I bet he pisses himself at the people spending their time defending this shite.

50 quid ?
Way too generous

giphy.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

Teachers dont really have a lunch break at the moment anyway, Well not in Primary. As kids currently have to eat in class room. So they have to help supervise that.

Partner is a primary teacher. She leaves home around 7:30 and get homes after 6 (school is 10 miss price away(. She then has work to do when at home. Crazy that people think teachers can find more time.

Williamson wants us to spend longer at school and have more work to take home in the evenings. He is almost universally despised by anyone who works in a school and the twat Kevan Collins who is leading the calls for it can piss off with his master

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Don't know if anyone has been following what was going on in the US, but back to the lab leak conspiracy/theory.

Emails have been leaked to Dr. Fauci which show a doctor in Wuhan thanking him for dismissing the lab leak theory (ok innocent enough on its own maybe). But that same guy gave 600 thousand dollars to the lab, then 'investigated' it for the WHO, and finally acted as a Facebook 'fact checker' for said theory.

1622650920146.png

Brighton Sky Blue

Covid now comprising just 1% of hospital admissions in Wales, which is also racing ahead in first jabs at 85% compared to the UK average of 75.

derbyskyblue

Just to change tack a little here, Mrs DSB tells me who firm is not going to renew the rent agreement on their quite sizable offices and conference rooms etc.
Apparently home working has been such a success the c e o is looking to save some serious overheads to the tune of some hundreds of thousand of pounds.
Anyone else who's firm is looking at this ?
Makes me think their is going to be quite a lot of redundant office space soon....

D

Deleted member 4439

Just to change tack a little here, Mrs DSB tells me who firm is not going to renew the rent agreement on their quite sizable offices and conference rooms etc.
Apparently home working has been such a success the c e o is looking to save some serious overheads to the tune of some hundreds of thousand of pounds.
Makes me think their is going to be quite a lot of redundant office space soon....

Too many vested interest not to think that eventually the pendulum won't swing back. The driver will be how much it plays into recruitment.

Sick Boy

Majority of clients in the UK I work with are all going full on remote working - it’s going to end up being very common.
I reckon there’s going to end up being a lot more hiring of overseas workers are well on freelance contracts long term as well.

Users who are viewing this thread