Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (35 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Even if they open relatively soon I’m not sending my son in.
Same here. My wife is shielding so no way are mine going back before September at the least. The schools simply aren’t set up for social distancing even before you go down the route of kids not always following clear instructions.

Astute

Even if they open relatively soon I’m not sending my son in.
My youngest lad is supposed to start back on Monday and my little girl is supposed to start back a week later. Face masks provided for all children. But everyone has also been given the choice on if they send their children back to school. My wife is keeping our children at home. Two reasons. They are safer at home and leave the school places for the parents going back to work. They are limiting class sizes.

My little boy has been complaining about having to do school work Monday to Friday at home. Wife told him last week if he plays up again he will be going back to school. He now gets up at about 6am and gets on with his school work without being asked :D

Astute

Just spoken to wife on the phone (yes even at this time in the morning). Not sure if France is opening back up a bit on Monday now. Macron announced last week it would only happen if new cases were below 3,000. They were over 3,600 yesterday. So everyone now awaits a new announcement later today.

shmmeee

Fucking hell, you may all hate Boris but you couldn’t pay me any sum of money to be in his position right now with all this going on and with the decisions he’s going to have to make....

I don’t hate Boris. I just think he’s entirely unsuitable for the job of Prime Minister. Especially during a crisis. And I don’t want people to die or lose their livelihood unnecessarily.

This is why you don’t elect clowns to run the country. This is the job he’s always wanted, I won’t feel sorry for him. He should have the good grace to realise it’s beyond him and let someone competent take charge. He won’t though, because he’s an arrogant muppet.

Terry Gibson's perm

I don’t hate Boris. I just think he’s entirely unsuitable for the job of Prime Minister. Especially during a crisis. And I don’t want people to die or lose their livelihood unnecessarily.

This is why you don’t elect clowns to run the country. This is the job he’s always wanted, I won’t feel sorry for him. He should have the good grace to realise it’s beyond him and let someone competent take charge. He won’t though, because he’s an arrogant muppet.

He is a man who managed to make a whole election about one policy and has a very limited skill set, this has shown him up for the fat, lazy useless cretin that he is. But he will keep reminding us that it nearly killed him

NorthernWisdom

Problem is, the people immediately behind him are just as incompetent, not as amusing, and less empathetic socially!

Brighton Sky Blue

Fucking hell, you may all hate Boris but you couldn’t pay me any sum of money to be in his position right now with all this going on and with the decisions he’s going to have to make....

His incompetence and that of his colleagues has taken us to number one in the continental death toll despite being an island nation and second only to the Yanks globally. His party cut everything for fun for a decade and then all of a sudden we have a disease arrive that has exposed all of the flaws with that approach.

Just stop voting for these idiots. It’s not hard.

djr8369

I don't hate Johnson, I hate very, few people. He'd probably be a good laugh and he can be quite charming. However, it is a matter of fact that he has been sacked from almost every job he has ever had for either lying or incompetence. He is openly lazy, not detail orientated, clearly more interested in women and being in power for the sake of it rather than any ambition to do the job. If you were a satirist it would be difficult to write a least suitable character to be PM.

He made some analogies to the war and repeated some slogans and is now in a position he is incredibly poorly suited for. He is a very hard person to respect but I almost feel sorry for him that he is in the job now as I guarantee he will be loathing it.

djr8369

His incompetence and that of his colleagues has taken us to number one in the continental death toll despite being an island nation and second only to the Yanks globally. His party cut everything for fun for a decade and then all of a sudden we have a disease arrive that has exposed all of the flaws with that approach.

And we had the luxury of watching the virus take hold in other countries first and didn't react.

clint van damme

He hasn't got the ability to do what needs doing and he hasn't got the people around him to help facilitate that either.
I said weeks ago was there a case for bringing in some Tory old heads.

One thing I would say, I know people are worried about the economy and financial worries can lead to mental health issues but I've been flat broke before with not a penny in my pocket and came back from it. No one ever came back from the morgue. Minimising the death toll should be priority.

clint van damme

Yes
Read that .
She has a point.
Look who we've had as our last 4 leaders ,then look at the quality of Germany's leader.
I bet they wish they weren't going to get a new one next year .
You look around the world and the qualities of female leadership seemingly stand up well .

Although May herself was absolutely useless, both as Foreign Secretary and PM.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Yes
Read that .
She has a point.
Look who we've had as our last 4 leaders ,then look at the quality of Germany's leader.
You look around the world and the qualities of female leadership seemingly stand up well .

I would say though that her policy on immigration made a big impact on the Brexit vote.

Also, how can their death toll be such a high percentage lower than literally anywhere else? I don't believe it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

And vote for who instead?

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes
Read that .
She has a point.

Angela Merkel has a scientific background in fairness-if it’s alright by Astute that I mention that of course

djr8369

Raises some good points. The knock on effects could be huge, both politically and economically. As May points out there is a risk nationalism and isolationism could rise further and have long term damaging effects globally. Think on what the likes of Orban, Trump and Bolsonaro could do if they successfully harness that sentiment further. Economically, countries who have a grip on this and have system in place or being built to facilitate near full opening of the economy could see growth accelerate while countries like us will muddle through, economically damaged for the foreseeable future, and with a further reduced global influence.

shmmeee

Problem is, the people immediately behind him are just as incompetent, not as amusing, and less empathetic socially!

That is the problem. I’d like to have seen a cross party group set up, maybe bringing in expertise from the Lords and ex PMs.

And vote for who instead?

Anyone but the Tories really. Hopefully Labour won’t be such a shitshow next election. But even the Tories without a massive majority and unlimited good Will would be a start.

Brighton Sky Blue

Which is?

Take your pick, most of the other parties try that but the blue one focuses a lot more on getting power than doing anything good with it. Their record for the last decade has been appalling but they get a bumper majority. Complain and you’re told you’re sneering and condescending

Ian1779

Which is?
Labour are in a state - primarily because of the factions within the party. I hope they may have turned a corner in 2017, but they fucked it by getting the biggest issue in the country horrifically wrong and handing the Tories a huge majority. Now the people in charge of Labour make me feel like it 2010-15 all over again. I know I am biased in my own way but we may now have a leader that ‘appears’ to be more appealing but that’s useless if the policy behind is vapid and offers no real choice to the electorate.

I think there needs to be a huge overhaul - mandatory reselection for all candidates in all parties in every election (even the leaders) - got to get rid of these shitty career politicians on all sides
The voting system is shit - we need a new way (although the 2 main parties will never have it)

King of the Lesbians

How is there so many positive tests??? I am struggling to understand
Is that not just down to mostly people with symptoms going to get tested?
I don't have symptoms so have little interest in getting tested.
So if there were 10 of me and say 4 had symptoms, 4 of me went and got tested, 2 of me showed positive for covid but the other 2 of me just had flu that would show as 50% positive tests whereas if all 10 of me went it would only be 20%. Is it not just as simple as that?
Can I just add I don't have a degree in anything relevant.

Brighton Sky Blue

Labour are in a state - primarily because of the factions within the party. I hope they may have turned a corner in 2017, but they fucked it by getting the biggest issue in the country horrifically wrong and handing the Tories a huge majority. Now the people in charge of Labour make me feel like it 2010-15 all over again. I know I am biased in my own way but we may now have a leader that ‘appears’ to be more appealing but that’s useless if the policy behind is vapid and offers no real choice to the electorate.

I think there needs to be a huge overhaul - mandatory reselection for all candidates in all parties in every election (even the leaders) - got to get rid of these shitty career politicians on all sides
The voting system is shit - we need a new way (although the 2 main parties will never have it)

Will never happen but I wish we just didn’t have political parties.

Users who are viewing this thread