Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (19 Viewers)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There’s a difference between being stupid and not paying attention TBF.

Most voted with only Brexit in mind and they happily admit that. That wasn’t stupid per se but it was reckless assuming that Brexit was all that mattered.

I just think politics in the UK needs a massive overhaul from top to bottom.

I don't like almost any of them and I think a lot of the country feel the same way.

Thought about running myself but no idea how to get into it and I expect it's very clicky.

I've felt like as a nation we have been on a downward spiral for a long time now and this pandemic kind of supports that a bit.

Just don't think it's easy to say something like one party is infinitely better than another. They're all shite in my opinion.

clint van damme

I don't like almost any of them and I think a lot of the country feel the same way.

Thought about running myself but no idea how to get into it and I expect it's very clicky.

I've felt like as a nation we have been on a downward spiral for a long time now and this pandemic kind of supports that a bit.

Just don't think it's easy to say something like one party is infinitely better than another. They're all shite in my opinion.

I hated Thatcher and her cronies, especially Tebbitt.
But can you imagine any of us Tory bashers on here trying to debate politics with Tebbitt? It would be embarrassing.

But I honestly reckon there are people on here who could rinse the likes of Hancock and Raab and I'm sure a few of the right leaning posters would fancy their chance against some of the shadow cabinet appointments of recent times.

British politics is definitely poor.

shmmeee

Nah some are less shite than others. This “they’re all as bad as each other” attitude has just let the really bad ones off IMO. Look back twenty or thirty years and politicians on both sides of the aisle were just more competent and serious than the jokers we have now. Be it contrarian idiots on the right or SJWs on the left. We need to stop seeing politics as celebrity and sport and start seeing it as serious business that’s hard to do and quite boring IMO.

The likes of Johnson, Corbyn, Farage, should never be near front line politics. Each fundamentally unequipped for a serious role. Disagree all you like with Blair, Thatcher, Brown, Clarke, etc they all took the job seriously and paid it (and the electorate) the respect it deserves.

The problem right now if you ask me is that no one has the answers for the questions things like climate change and globalisation have raised. And when that happens people are always willing to listen to the nutters and morons who at least have the benefit of pretending they have the answers.

Ring Of Steel

I agree with you. The whole system is screwed and its now 100% partisanship, people gloss over anything if its their guys that did it.

Ring Of Steel

Nah some are less shite than others. This “they’re all as bad as each other” attitude has just let the really bad ones off IMO. Look back twenty or thirty years and politicians on both sides of the aisle were just more competent and serious than the jokers we have now. Be it contrarian idiots on the right or SJWs on the left. We need to stop seeing politics as celebrity and sport and start seeing it as serious business that’s hard to do and quite boring IMO.

The likes of Johnson, Corbyn, Farage, should never be near front line politics. Each fundamentally unequipped for a serious role. Disagree all you like with Blair, Thatcher, Brown, Clarke, etc they all took the job seriously and paid it (and the electorate) the respect it deserves.

The problem right now if you ask me is that no one has the answers for the questions things like climate change and globalisation have raised. And when that happens people are always willing to listen to the nutters and morons who at least have the benefit of pretending they have the answers.

People listen to the nutters because there is literally nobody else willing to even talk about it.

The chasm between politicians & leaders and 'the people' has never been bigger, therefore creating room for the cranks such as Farage to step in.

Ian1779

Labour frequently make a bad choice of leader out of the candidates we have. At least this time we have made the best choice out of a very average bunch but it isn't a career politician we have chosen. The start of his title should give a clue. He knows more about life than all the Tories put together. He has only come into politics in recent years. He didn't have to as he will have taken a drop in income to do so. And his intelligence can't be questioned.

My concerns with Starmer will be the people advising him and driving his policy - not him as a leader.

Nick

Administrator
My daugher is potentially going back to school soon anyway, no problem with that. It's sending her loopy being stuck in all day every day.

Nick

Administrator
Just on the discussions about schools, interestingly my Missus's cousin is a Headmaster in Wales and he was in a meeting with Education Wales the other week where they were discussing that the return of students wouldn't be until after the October half term so starting again in November.

Obviously this is a fluid situation so will be constantly changing but interesting that this was what they were looking at.

Fuck....That.

Cant afford the childcare costs, Boris' nanny can look after her. Dom?

chiefdave

Look back twenty or thirty years and politicians on both sides of the aisle were just more competent and serious than the jokers we have now.
You don't always notice the gradual decline in the standard of politicians but every now and then BBC Parliament have a day where they cover a historical event. When you see footage of parliament from the 80s and even early 90s the difference to now is astonishing.

Even if you didn't agree with people they could generally give a coherent argument to back up their stance and seem like actual human beings who you could actually have a conversation with.

Brighton Sky Blue

What would I give for Gordon Brown to have squeezed over the line in 2010.

Ian1779

Yeah I have Ed Miliband vibes from him but hope his background and brain gives him the common sense to avoid bad advice

It was a legitimate criticism of Labour that their Brexit policy was driven from London-esque metropolitan areas - that’s why it lost the North and a lot of Wales. Starmer has to change that perception and approach to win them back.

Astute

I think one little dig is understandable after you dedicated a fair amount of time to slagging me off
Slagging you off? Get real. You was wrong. You can't stand being wrong. So you lied. It wad all there in black and white. Shall I repost it again? Then you keep coming out with childish remarks.

I find it really hard to believe you are a teacher at times. You are nothing but a Labour version of G.

shmmeee

People listen to the nutters because there is literally nobody else willing to even talk about it.

The chasm between politicians & leaders and 'the people' has never been bigger, therefore creating room for the cranks such as Farage to step in.

Talk about what though?

Astute

There’s a difference between being stupid and not paying attention TBF.

Most voted with only Brexit in mind and they happily admit that. That wasn’t stupid per se but it was reckless assuming that Brexit was all that mattered.
Other than Brexit was close but the GE wasn't. And people seemed to trust a clown like Boris more than Corbyn.

Astute

Given the benign nature of the virus to under 45’s and our ability to be creative with risk and how we deal with it. We need some clever thinking don’t we from King Boris.
We're fucked then.

shmmeee

It was a legitimate criticism of Labour that their Brexit policy was driven from London-esque metropolitan areas - that’s why it lost the North and a lot of Wales. Starmer has to change that perception and approach to win them back.

Brexit was just a proxy for wider social differences between young metropolitan voters and older voters in towns though. It’s the same rage against modernity which the left has no simple answers for. People want a return to decent jobs and strong communities which should be the lefts bread and butter but we gave up economic justice and community for social justice and identity politics a while ago.

David O'Day

Dom now you are back and you've had your KFC can you please explain why tomorrows bank holiday means Boris has to announce his plans on a Sunday and not in front of parliament as per protocol?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

wingy

I see the airports are all developing strategies to, I assume reassure travellers.
I'm not convinced we'll be going anywhere soon though.
Internationally it's going to be problematic unless we've nailed our spread down extremely low.
Vice Versa to incomers.

chiefdave

I see the airports are all developing strategies to, I assume reassure travellers.
I'm not convinced we'll be going anywhere soon though.
Internationally it's going to be problematic unless we've nailed our spread down extremely low.
Vice Versa to incomers.
Only place I'd want to be travelling is a one way trip to a country with someone competent in charge!

fernandopartridge

Will never happen but I wish we just didn’t have political parties.

While there is no doubt the tories are atrocious, they keep winning elections.

Not all of the electorate are stupid, and they keep rejecting labour as somehow even worse that the tories.

If there were some genuine decent opposition I'm sure they would get voted for.

Is some of this down to the relative stability of the UK in the post war years? i.e. it hasn't led to many people getting involved in politics because they want change

Astute

You don't always notice the gradual decline in the standard of politicians but every now and then BBC Parliament have a day where they cover a historical event. When you see footage of parliament from the 80s and even early 90s the difference to now is astonishing.

Even if you didn't agree with people they could generally give a coherent argument to back up their stance and seem like actual human beings who you could actually have a conversation with.
I grew up with an interest in politics in the 70's and 80's. You had no choice when you had those like Thatcher in charge.

I don't say politics are in the gutter for no reason. I can't think of one who deserves respect ATM. It seems it is more important to tick all the boxes on minorities/women than those best for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread