Championship next season (1 Viewer)

aloisijohnnyaloisi

Screenshot_20210531-111026.png

So after the play off finals this weekend, this is what we're left with. To me it looks like a tough one to call next season, no real obvious favourites for promotion or relegation (with the exception of West Brom perhaps).

With Rotherham, Wycombe and Sheff Weds (-6) last season, I always felt confident we'd have enough to finish above at least them. This time around I think the three teams coming up could all be stronger.

I'm confident we'll kick on and improve next year (because that's what Robins does), but it's very important that we get this transfer window right.

Reactions: Bez

SlowerThanPlatt

We have the least miles to travel next season.

Peterborough and Hull will be competitive more so than Rotherham and Wycombe imo.

aloisijohnnyaloisi

Have you already forgotten Derby’s points dedication? Will it be this season or next?
Could be 6 or even 12!
Correct, I have forgotten about that!

Is there a chance it'd be applied this season just gone then? That'd be nice to send them down and keep Wycombe up.

Sky Blue Harry H

We have the least miles to travel next season.

Peterborough and Hull will be competitive more so than Rotherham and Wycombe imo.

Disagree - don't really rate Peterborough at all. Rotherham have had a few years yo-yoing, and suffered re: fixture congestion. Hull ought to be stronger than Wycombe, but are not much different to Rotherham imo.

procdoc

If we get our recruitment right then we will finish above all three promoted teams and possibly the likes of Luton, Millwall, Preston, Bristol City and Derby too

Sky Blue Harry H

If we get our recruitment right then we will finish above all three promoted teams and possibly the likes of Luton, Millwall, Preston, Bristol City and Derby too

I think Luton looked to have a solid 'hard to beat' team, short of a little bit of flair. PNE above Millwall, with Derby and Bristol City at the wrong end of the table - particularly if Derby get hit with a points deduction, and Rooney as manager.

Torquay Sky Blue

I think Luton looked to have a solid 'hard to beat' team, short of a little bit of flair. PNE above Millwall, with Derby and Bristol City at the wrong end of the table - particularly if Derby get hit with a points deduction, and Rooney as manager.
Don't forget Huddersfield...they're shit.
We need to be like Luton, they've learnt how to play and survive in this league. We need to be like them and better

Sky Blue Harry H

Don't forget Huddersfield...they're shit.
We need to be like Luton, they've learnt how to play and survive in this league. We need to be like them and better
Agree. We're lucky in that we have some decent footballers, but we could do with some tough nuts to supplement them. Wouldn't pay to watch Luton, but they have padded their side out with a lot of gritty sorts (their defence in particular, but a lot of their midfield too). It's the one area where we can look vulnerable if our creative players aren't on song. A handful of Ostigards would do nicely 👍😂

kg82

And this season was first with Huddersfield in about as long as that wasn’t it? Any other teams we haven’t played in the league in 50+ years?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'd love City find a striker like Ivan Toney of Brentford. 33 goals in the season just gone. That is some record! I know there are top teams looking at him and Brentford say they won't be selling him, so no chance of him coming here! But........ if there was a striker out there of the same ilk.....

fatso

Looking at those teams, it's going to be a tough ask to get near the top half, we definitely need to overhaul the squad, I feel like we need at least 5 first team players bringing in, and we have plenty of dead wood to move on.
MR needs to be a busy boy this pre season.

Hod dog

id take 16th again, keep ourselves as an established championship club again, start of last year I imagine we would all take 16th for second year in championship and maybe even the night of Rotherham away when we could of gone in bottom 3, any success we could have will be a very slow mover, just need to slowly year by year improve, first year avoid relegation, this year be a lower mid table table team, year 3 try for a mid table position, then maybe year 4 if things going well look at bigger things, but our finances need to improve a lot before we can attract the talent to compete anywhere near top half.

I think we could be better than Hull, Peterborough, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Luton, Derby, after that no idea as i think blues will be better next year and forest

ccfcricoh

Think we need an outstanding transfer window to finish anywhere above 16th.

The need to replace Mccallum, Ostigard and James before looking to "improve" at all is a fairly big ask.

Arguably we need 5/6 signings that walk into the starting 11 to challenge top half.

i'd take a similar season to last season with less reliance on loans as a good step forward, and appreciate that we will more than likely utilise full loans again anyway.

Looks like an exciting season ahead!

Legia Sky Blue

Given our finances I can't see us not heavily relying on loans, and the success or otherwise of those loans will define what kind of season we have. I certainly don't see a mass influx of permanent signings.

Gibbo

Looking at those teams, it's going to be a tough ask to get near the top half, we definitely need to overhaul the squad, I feel like we need at least 5 first team players bringing in, and we have plenty of dead wood to move on.
MR needs to be a busy boy this pre season.
We will have 5b loans as a a start

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

I fancy Bournemouth , WBA , middlesborough , reading , swansea and cardiff for play offs. Will be interesting to see who goes down. I’m cautiously optimistic we can avoid a relegation scrap this year , but won’t rule it out. The 3 relegated clubs’ success will largely depend on who they keep and their managers (two of the three are in search for one at the moment) so apart from bournemouth , imo, there is no clear automatic promotion favourite. The teams coming up from league 1 are interesting. Peterborough should be decent , but we will see if they can keep JCH , Dembele and co. Plus, blackpool have a seemingly Clever manager and Hull have established players at this level. Despite all the nonsense about “worst championship ever” and all that , there certainly won’t be a dull moment

Mucca Mad Boys

Given our finances I can't see us not heavily relying on loans, and the success or otherwise of those loans will define what kind of season we have. I certainly don't see a mass influx of permanent signings.

A club of our stature needs to make a good use of the loan market. However, I do seem to recall Boddy saying something along the lines of us needing to develop and bring in our own talent.

Perhaps I’m being optimistic, but now we’ve survived the first season, you’d hope we can get more permanent signings through the door.

Grendel

A club of our stature needs to make a good use of the loan market. However, I do seem to recall Boddy saying something along the lines of us needing to develop and bring in our own talent.

Perhaps I’m being optimistic, but now we’ve survived the first season, you’d hope we can get more permanent signings through the door.

Looking at our finances I’d say you are being very optimistic

The loan players over the last two seasons - Walsh, o hare, mccallum, Ostigard etc have been key to the club. The problem of course is the more you rely on them the more you accept a constant recycling of the first team

slowpoke

When is Boddy going to say something we don’t know.

Mucca Mad Boys

Looking at our finances I’d say you are being very optimistic

The loan players over the last two seasons - Walsh, o hare, mccallum, Ostigard etc have been key to the club. The problem of course is the more you rely on them the more you accept a constant recycling of the first team

I’m going off what Boddy has said in April. To briefly summarise, he talks about having 5 loans and the need to improve our own talent.

I don’t disagree. The loan market is instrumental for just about every Championship team, so we’ll need to pick up 2-3 starting quality loans minimum.

We’re increasing our budget this season if you take Boddy’s word at face value. Perhaps they club are expecting a boon to our finances after the RICOH return.

Source: www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-transfers-budget-boddy-20481861.amp

PUSB-We_are_going_up

1. WBA
2. Middlesborough
3. Fulham
4. Barnsley
5. Sheff Utd
6. Swansea
7. Forest
8. Reading
9. Cardiff
10. Cov
11. Blackburn
12. Bournemouth
13. Luton
14. PNE
15. Stoke
16. Millwall
17. QPR
18. Brum
19. Hull
20. Derby
21. Peterborough
22. Blackpool
23. Huddersfield
24. Bristol City

Early predictions will obviously change with signings

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

1. W
2. Middlesborough
3. Fulham
4. Barnsley
5. Sheff Utd
6. Swansea
7. Forest
8. Reading
9. Cardiff
10. Cov
11. Blackburn
12. Bournemouth
13. Luton
14. PNE
15. Stoke
16. Millwall
17. QPR
18. Brum
19. Hull
20. Derby
21. Peterborough
22. Blackpool
23. Huddersfield
24. Bristol City

Early predictions will obviously change with signings

Did you use a random generator for this?

KenilworthSkyBlue

I’m going off what Boddy has said in April. To briefly summarise, he talks about having 5 loans and the need to improve our own talent.

I don’t disagree. The loan market is instrumental for just about every Championship team, so we’ll need to pick up 2-3 starting quality loans minimum.

We’re increasing our budget this season if you take Boddy’s word at face value. Perhaps they club are expecting a boon to our finances after the RICOH return.

Source: www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-transfers-budget-boddy-20481861.amp

I have to admit, per Boddy's previous comments I do question the feasibility of reducing the number of loans in the squad given our financial situation. Certainly not without a significant influx of revenue earned from a player sale. I understand the sentiment and he's not wrong, but since Robins has returned we've brought in 5+ loans throughout the course of season year on year apart from during the L2 campaign. I certainly can't see that changing this season.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

When is Boddy going to say something we don’t know.

He told me that the Azerbaijan president, Ilham Aliyev was born on Christmas Eve, 1961, which is the same day that Wade Williams, an American actor was born in Tulsa. To be honest with you - I can't say I knew that, so hats off to Dave Boddy.

CDK

Lower mid table will be a successful year I think and building again will be the job to progress further in future season's.

Mucca Mad Boys

I have to admit, per Boddy's previous comments I do question the feasibility of reducing the number of loans in the squad given our financial situation. Certainly not without a significant influx of revenue earned from a player sale. I understand the sentiment and he's not wrong, but since Robins has returned we've brought in 5+ loans throughout the course of season year on year apart from during the L2 campaign. I certainly can't see that changing this season.

I think we’ll still sign 5-6 loanees and still reduce our reliance on the loan market.

Last season, all of our loanees, with the exception of Gykores, were important first team players. Perhaps this season, the aim is to have 2-3 good quality loans that boost the first team and the remaining loanees offering more strength in depth.

That’s how I interpreted Boddy’s words, and I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread