Blocks 2 & 3.. (2 Viewers)

ccfctommy

No, you are a representative on a fans forum so the job spec includes asking questions that effect the fans who use this forum. These issues include the substandard policing and the strange actions of the SAG.

Don't we have a supporters trust that can help out with that kind of thing? *grabs tin hat*

Brylowes

Whilst we’re not pulling the big crowds anyway it’s easy for the clubs owners to take on board the safety advice being offered up by SAG.
Should we find ourselves in a position to fill all those empty seats ‘I doubt the owners would be so quick to comply.

Calista

There are no plans to move the away supporters
I'm sure that's the case, but it would be good to know whether it's possible, and if not, exactly why not. If there are physical constraints that would be impossible to overcome, that would at least be useful to understand. But if it's just inertia, or simply that nobody has been asked to look into it, that would be a shame because IMO such a change could make a big difference to the experience at the Arena.

theferret

Why so aggressive?
It’s mad
the first post of the thread You’ve said blocks 2 and 3 aren’t being sold and blamed the sag
Where’s the info from

My reply was entirely in keeping with the tone of your post, which questioned the legitimacy of this thread. What do you mean 'should have reached out directly'? To whom?

This is just a discussion amongst ourselves about this latest intervention and previous measures. We are allowed to discuss these matters without your permission.

For clarity, a friend attempted to purchase tickets in block 2 for Saturday and was told, by the ticket office, these blocks are no longer available for sale.

You can see this for yourself as blocks 2 and 3 are unavailable for the rest of the season online.

I am assuming this is the SAG. If it isn't, then it can only be the club. Great if so, because I feel the club could be reasoned with. But it isn't is it, it'll be the SAG. It's a fair assumption.

MalcSB

Whilst we’re not pulling the big crowds anyway it’s easy for the clubs owners to take on board the safety advice being offered up by SAG.
Should we find ourselves in a position to fill all those empty seats ‘I doubt the owners would be so quick to comply.
I think that is exactly the situation. SAG, by definition, offers advice. You don't have to follow what is merely advice - and not regulation - however whilst the ground is only 70% occupied it would be difficult and foolhardy not to follow the advice. There is no compelling commercial benefit of not following advice. "Atmosphere" is subjective and hard to quantify to use a a balance in any risk:benefit analysis. Pete's non-confrontational approach seems reasonable to me at this point.

The arena is badly designed and the ability to move the away support seating area extremely limited. Would we be better to spend a couple of million on the playing squad or a concourse re-model?

M&B Stand

My reply was entirely in keeping with the tone of your post, which questioned the legitimacy of this thread. What do you mean 'should have reached out directly'? To whom?

This is just a discussion amongst ourselves about this latest intervention and previous measures. We are allowed to discuss these matters without your permission.

For clarity, a friend attempted to purchase tickets in block 2 for Saturday and was told, by the ticket office, these blocks are no longer available for sale.

You can see this for yourself as blocks 2 and 3 are unavailable for the rest of the season online.

I am assuming this is the SAG. If it isn't, then it can only be the club. Great if so, because I feel the club could be reasoned with. But it isn't is it, it'll be the SAG. It's a fair assumption.
Mate, if the Safety Advisory Group had their way we’d still be in Lockdown. Pete would probably support them

MalcSB

Googled, My emphasis in bold.

Purpose and scope of a SAG​

SAGs provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at an event. They aim to help organisers with the planning, and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies. They are non-statutory bodies and so do not have legal powers or responsibilities, and are not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. Event organisers and others involved in the running of an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety.

Calista

SAGs provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at an event. They aim to help organisers with the planning, and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies. They are non-statutory bodies and so do not have legal powers or responsibilities, and are not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. Event organisers and others involved in the running of an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety.
It sounds like the club would be held responsible in the event of a safety incident, and if they had deliberately decided to go against the advice of the SAG they could be in legal trouble. So it may be just advice, but it's advice you are pretty much obliged to follow.

Nick

Administrator

However, Cov Council has delegated it's powers.

They can literally make us play behind closed doors if they wanted.

fernandopartridge

I've said it before but the club should tell them to go whistle

fernandopartridge

It sounds like the club would be held responsible in the event of a safety incident, and if they had deliberately decided to go against the advice of the SAG they could be in legal trouble. So it may be just advice, but it's advice you are pretty much obliged to follow.
They'd have significant difficulty showing cause between two blocks in a football ground being open and any incident

Old Warwickshire lad

I'm sure that's the case, but it would be good to know whether it's possible, and if not, exactly why not. If there are physical constraints that would be impossible to overcome, that would at least be useful to understand. But if it's just inertia, or simply that nobody has been asked to look into it, that would be a shame because IMO such a change could make a big difference to the experience at the Arena.
Seems the logical thing to do. 99% of Coventry fan’s approach and leave the stadium from the south stand end. So no need for them to be that end.
The few home fans coming from that direction tend to be the ones who are not interested in arguing with away supporters.
Away coaches could be parked behind North stand,along with travelling supporters who are driving.
After game they are out of ground straight on to coaches and away.
The few idiots who want to start trouble after should be easy to turn back.

mark82

Vote for a Tory local council, its Maton and his cronies making these ridiculous decisions.

Not sure it's down to it being a Labour problem. Kirklees council is labour majority and there was only a couple of yards separating home and away fans at the weekend.

pusbccfc

Sheffield United having similar issues with their council.

However, the differences are stark. That's a dated stand that, if overcrowded, is dangerous. The Ricoh is a spacious stadium that is only 65% full each week.

My worry is, this is where we're heading.

Sky Blue Pete

I understand why now
I went right back to your Initial post and you’ve now answered the question thanks

slowpoke

The reason we are only allowed up to block 13 is because there have been incidents, they have stopped the over crowding issues and I reckon if the better behaviour continues we might slowly get those closed blocks back.
Unfortunately idiots like that chump who ran on the pitch from the other side of the ground don’t help he becomes another unwanted statistic.
And I’ve been told there was a bit of tit for tat call it banter going on between fans from block one to the away fans so that wouldn’t help either. It’s just another case of a few spoiling things for the majority.

pusbccfc

The reason we are only allowed up to block 13 is because there have been incidents, they have stopped the over crowding issues and I reckon if the better behaviour continues we might slowly get those closed blocks back.
Unfortunately idiots like that chump who ran on the pitch from the other side of the ground don’t help he becomes another unwanted statistic.
And I’ve been told there was a bit of tit for tat call it banter going on between fans from block one to the away fans so that wouldn’t help either. It’s just another case of a few spoiling things for the majority.

Closing a block because it's overcrowded is such a strange way of sorting things.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Likewise I'd sometimes go in Block X of the Sky Blue Stand (aka North / M&B) and it was a couple of stairwell widths between you and the away following. This SAG are a bunch of jumped up clowns

I had a season ticket in block X , the whole stairwell was full of police, so much so they obstructed the view of the pitch, plus when the away fans all stood up, watching the game, we all stood up so we could have a good view, guess what the police told us, ( you guessed it) we had to sit down but the away fans were allowed to stand up.

Some things never change.

Ended up moving to the main stand.

Last edited:

DazzleTommyDazzle

I had a season ticket in block X , the whole stairwell was full of police, so much so they obstructed the view of the pitch, plus when the away fans all stood up, watching the game, we all stood up so we could have a good view, guess what the the police told us, ( you guessed it) we had to sit down but the away fans were allowed to stand up.

Some things never change.

Ended up moving to the main stand.

I remember watching us play Forest at the City Ground. We were all standing behind the goal and lots of stewards came round telling us to sit.

I pointed out that the home fans in the stand to our left were all standing and no one was telling them to sit, but as you might imagine, that was not accepted as a good reason by the steward.

Grendel

see pete it's not just me saying this

if you don't want to do it then let someone else

I nominate you David

Why don't you rock up with your mate Gerry and just spell out that its open the blocks or its Warrington all over again

theferret

Oh my so ferret was wrong
Or mark was so scared at replying to my email he has a word and they changed their mind
There you go david one thing changed tick

Well I wasn't wrong because tickets were taken off sale. There were people in this thread who had attempted to buy but couldn't and this was verbally communicated at the ticket office to somebody buying in person.

If you raising this issue has resulted in a rethink, then maybe we should be thanking you. Either way, if nothing had been said about this, this thread, various tweets, your enquiry, I strongly suspect those seats would still be unavailable. So give yourself a pat on the back if you want, but I'm personally pleased they have reversed the decision.

Last edited:

Grendel

Well I wasn't wrong because tickets were taken off sale. There were people in this thread who had attempted to buy but couldn't and this was verbally communicated at the ticket office to somebody buying in person.

If you raising this issue has resulted in a rethink, then maybe we should be thanking you. Either way, if nothing had been said about this, this thread, various tweets, your enquiry, I strongly suspect those seats would still be unavailable. So give yourself a pat on the back.
Smiley Face GIF

David O'Day

However, Cov Council has delegated it's powers.

They can literally make us play behind closed doors if they wanted.
they can't without a valid reason, you can sag decisions in court and the example you state would be struck down

Grendel

spoons again grenners?

I’ve just caught up with this thread. Judging by your shambolic performance last night your accusation is rather ironic.

Users who are viewing this thread