Best TV shows or movies you can recommend (1 Viewer)

Terry_dactyl

Just finished Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland which is a 5 part BBC doc about The Troubles.

An absolutely fascinating watch and put together so well and really shows the human side and what it was like living through that period.

Best documentary I’ve watched in a while.
It’s incredible and harrowing.

My Mum is from Northern Ireland; I was surprised just how familiar I was with it all. Clearly those long summer holidays in County Down in the 80s, and listening to the lot of them ‘debating’ had an impact.

Apparently my mum didn’t want to watch it as she knew it would be too upsetting for her.

Terry_dactyl

ajsccfc

Watched the Luther film, it managed to take the overblown nonsense of the series, double it and then send it to the North Pole. Amazing, as long as you don't question the logic of pretty much anything anyone does in it

Mcbean

Watched the Luther film, it managed to take the overblown nonsense of the series, double it and then send it to the North Pole. Amazing, as long as you don't question the logic of pretty much anything anyone does in it
Netflix ?

Flying Fokker

Alone USA. On channel 4 player.

Straw sucking fly on the wall wilderness survival. What can go wrong? Some real hill billy /hunting mentality that shines through at times.

AOM

Alone USA. On channel 4 player.

Straw sucking fly on the wall wilderness survival. What can go wrong? Some real hill billy /hunting mentality that shines through at times.

The UK version is on Channel 4 if you're interested. Been pretty good so far

AOM

Saw Cobweb at Showcase over the weekend. Enjoyed it overall, but it's one of those films where it's really tense and creepy for most of the film until what is "scary" is revealed and then it goes a bit mad.
Very similar to Barbarian which I think is the same director

Flying Fokker

The UK version is on Channel 4 if you're interested. Been pretty good so far
Yes, moved on to the US version. It’s a bit grittier. But also difficult to watch at times due to the pig-headed hunting mentality. Anything that moves is fair game…

Last edited:

AOM

Yes, moved on to the US version. It’s a bit grittier. But also difficult to watch at times due to the pig-headed hunting mentality. Anything that moves is fair game…

There was a previous series when some guy befriended a squirrel then had to kill it for food and he was genuinely heartbroken. This he quit soon afterwards..

I'm actually interested to see what would happen if there was a bear or wolf attack and if they're actually as alone as it seems. Guessing they would be done for

Otis

Yeah, loved it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just finished the Ricky Hatton documentary, really good his old man seems a leech though

eedyut

The Prisoner should absolutely be on that list...top 3. An absolute masterpiece that is still revolutionary nearly 50 odd years later. Mighty McGoohan!

eedyut

Shout for a cheeky US black comedy drama, Hacks. It's on Amazon now. Might not be for everyone but beautifully written and Jean Smart is ace!

Reactions: SBT

SBT

Shout for a cheeky US black comedy drama, Hacks. It's on Amazon now. Might not be for everyone but beautifully written and Jean Smart is ace!
First season is fantastic. Working through S2 now and it still has its moments, though not quite as good. Jean Smart is just great in everything.

eedyut

First season is fantastic. Working through S2 now and it still has its moments, though not quite as good. Jean Smart is just great in everything.
Aye, the first season is so good, I think the second just lacks that initial surprise at how ongoingly enjoyable it is factor. But it does develop the characters and themes well and wraps it up nicely...even the tertiary characters are great...but yeah, Jean Smart

Reactions: SBT

AOM

Any other Star Wars nerds out there been watching Ahsoka on Disney+? Not really interested in any of the previous animated series that are related to the story but episode 4 is some of the best Star Wars content I've seen for a while.
Really good so far. Up there with Andor

chiefdave

Not watched the latest episode but I've enjoyed it. I'm a Star Wars fan in as much as I've seen the films but definitely not enough to have watched anything animated so when people go nuts because someone from an animated series shows up its lost on me.

Enjoyed all the Star Wars series to be honest, well suited to that format.

Reactions: AOM

JAM See

Just finished Painkiller (Netflix). It's about the Oxycontin epidemic in the USA.

Fucking bleak, but glad I watched it.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just started the Daryl Dixon spin off series , was ok I’ll give it another couple of episodes

Mcbean

Just watched Barbie - mmmm not sure but some funny bits with Ken - Margot is eye Candy but the plot is shit

LastGarrison

Binged 5 out of 6 of the Channel 4 reality programme ‘Alone’ where they dropped 11 Brits in separate parts of rural Canada and they basically have to fend for themselves in amongst bears, wolves etc. and catch their own food.

Not the most ground breaking stuff but worth a watch and some interesting characters in their including one chap from Rugby.

Ian1779

Just watched Barbie - mmmm not sure but some funny bits with Ken - Margot is eye Candy but the plot is shit
I watched it the other week when it was the £3 cinema day. Thought it was relatively good fun without being serious in any way. Gosling is better than Robbie IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread