Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Stoke City Match Thread - Saturday 1st Apr (1 Viewer)

stay_up_skyblues

5 of the 8 teams above us don’t have a striker on course for 20 this season (would need 17 at this stage). It’s a fallacy.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a ‘nice to have’ but if we signed 3 players (thinking 2 strikers and an AM) that all scored 10 goals then there’s a better return straight away. It’s not that simple but we desperately need goals throughout the team. If Vik had spent 3-4 months injured this season we’d be nowhere, and we need to mitigate against that kind of scenario.

The original point I was answering was a suggestion Godden and Tavares could step up to cover Vik. I also said you’d replace him with two forwards…

blunted

He had already been sold by Richardson. The signing was about to be done.

If you got pushed out at work then got asked to do one more shift would you do it?

What people need to remember is the only reason we managed to sign him was a bad leg break. When recovered he couldn't get into the side. Why would he want to risk another injury for a chairman who lied then pushed him out of the club?

And he would have been a free agent if he didn't sign the new contract. He would have got a massive signing on fee as well as his choice of club. We would have got nothing. It was at the time clubs were getting to grips with what the Bosman ruling meant. Before the Bosman ruling a player out of contract was still tied to the club that held the last contract.
Lot of after the event information or fake news going on here. When Dublin signed his contract, every one told Richardson he was mad for paying that amount of money. Jim Twyneham was a mate and he told me the club were unhappy with the way Dublin refused to play while they were trying to sort out his future. Whilst I would not put any trust in Richardson, it amazes me how after the event everyone suddenly knows what went on. Hence, the revisionist statement. Dublin was a great player for us and he had every right to leave and sign for the club of his choice. To refuse to play when matters were under discussion was unnecessary. As someone who has withdrawn his labour when instructed to do so by my union, fine. I never unilaterally withdrew my labour as it would have hurt my mates. That is what Dublin did. Possibly selfish. Footballers selfish? There's a surprise.

blunted

Different experience to usual for me again tomorrow as I’m hosting a couple of tables for work as part of “Legends Day”. I’ve even forced my partner to come, albeit I doubt she’ll watch the game.

I have warned I’ll be the ultimate professional until 3, then it’s a different story!

Great to see it’s a good crowd tomorrow, atmosphere should be great and you’d expect players to be really really up for it.

2-0 Gyokeres x2.
Get her to watch Ted Lasso. Cunning plan to get your wife into football

Grendel

Lot of after the event information or fake news going on here. When Dublin signed his contract, every one told Richardson he was mad for paying that amount of money. Jim Twyneham was a mate and he told me the club were unhappy with the way Dublin refused to play while they were trying to sort out his future. Whilst I would not put any trust in Richardson, it amazes me how after the event everyone suddenly knows what went on. Hence, the revisionist statement. Dublin was a great player for us and he had every right to leave and sign for the club of his choice. To refuse to play when matters were under discussion was unnecessary. As someone who has withdrawn his labour when instructed to do so by my union, fine. I never unilaterally withdrew my labour as it would have hurt my mates. That is what Dublin did. Possibly selfish. Footballers selfish? There's a surprise.

Jim Twyneham is hardly the most reliable source of information

blunted

Tbf apart from set pieces where we 100% need to sort it out and get more goals from the likes of Fadz, Doyle McNally, our midfield have scored more goals than last season havent they not?

Cant be arsed to see if im right but im pretty sure Allen, Hamer, Sheaf and Palmer have scored or assisted more than last year at this point, definitely feels like it
I agree our set pieces are dreadful and totally predictable. Hamer doing an inswinger on a dodgy goalie I get, the
corner to the back post centre back ok, but where is the invention and the unexpected pass. Last I can think of a different tactic is pass and goal by Shippers last season

blunted

Jim Twyneham is hardly the most reliable source of information
Course not, he only worked for the club for years before his unfortunate death and was very careful with his disclosures. I would take his word 100% and never doubt his integrity over speculation that is repeated from that brilliant source of information, namely, social media. If someone can tell me where all this accurate information about Dublin originated, I will be happy to revise my opinion. I certainly don't remember it coming from the club, Dublin, his agent or the press at the time. Remember any parties, particularly Dublin are going to relate the events with a certain amount of recall bias. Since you have a habit of trawling back through events to support your argument, feel free to provide evidence to support your claim and I will be happy to accept that I was wrong and you are right. It is called debate. I only have memory of the events and hearsay from a friend, but insider knowledge trumps speculation unless proved otherwise.

Grendel

Course not, he only worked for the club for years before his unfortunate death and was very careful with his disclosures. I would take his word 100% and never doubt his integrity over speculation that is repeated from that brilliant source of information, namely, social media. If someone can tell me where all this accurate information about Dublin originated, I will be happy to revise my opinion. I certainly don't remember it coming from the club, Dublin, his agent or the press at the time. Remember any parties, particularly Dublin are going to relate the events with a certain amount of recall bias. Since you have a habit of trawling back through events to support your argument, feel free to provide evidence to support your claim and I will be happy to accept that I was wrong and you are right. It is called debate. I only have memory of the events and hearsay from a friend, but insider knowledge trumps speculation unless proved otherwise.
Whet did he actually do? He I know did what he did with the club and posted on here regularly. He supplied us at Browns lane with some stuff and wasn’t from my recollection that discreet with his insider knowledge

Evo1883

Had a look at Birmingham final home game and they've sold pretty well too already 😂

Sky Blue Harry H

Good effort considering their season is practically over
Probably helped by being in recent decent form. Lynch mob for Alex O'Neill a few weeks ago. Don't like the bloke myself, although not on the Nathan Jones scale.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sounds very much like 'trying to sell him' to me. And thus supporting Dublin's side of the story.

Thing is about after an event, there's this thing called history. After something happens information can come to light that changes how it looks. Amazing how after the event everyone suddenly knew how terrible Hitler was.

I was at that Luton game and I felt very let down. But let's not forget that, had Dublin done what BR wanted, he wouldn't have been playing anyway. And from the sounds of it it's not like he could have played to show his loyalty and that he was staying because one way or another he was going anyway, whether he liked it or not.

mmttww

Has there been a big advertising push in the local gyms?

mr t dancing GIF

SkyBlueSam01

Think its easy to misunderstand how much each era of players means to each generation of fan.

I was lucky enough to see the tail end of the legendary era with Robbie Keane and McCallister etc, but goals from players like Reda and Biamou meant the world to me at the time amd despite wantimg better in the future I really appreciate players like this being recognised for what they mean to people.

skyblue025

Decent shout as with a decent transfer kitty and assuming they don’t go up he’s one we might realistically get.
I don't get the love in with Adebayo. He's had 1 decent season in his career, is a year older than Vik, is not progressing in his career. Other than he tore Clark-Salter to shreds with the aid of a dodgy ref he's a journeyman lump of a striker.

Astute

3 points off the play offs with 8 to play, let’s not pretend 20k is special
Correct if that was the whole story.

But how many of the other clubs have played at 4 grounds in the last 20 years and have spent periods playing away from where they are based? How many Championship clubs have ended up in Division 4 in recent years and can pull in a crowd like this?

Could make a list of what our fanbase has had to endure. But here we are. As usual one of the lowest budgets. But our support is amazing. A mate of mine is a Palace supporter. He loves going to our games for the atmosphere. The noise we make is on a par with the better Prem support. Without our support we wouldn't be in contention this season.

Astute

We’d need a 20-25 goal a season striker in the second tier to progress, alongside improving the other areas. That’s what he gives us.
What we need is more goals from other players in the side. Losing Gyokeres would provide the funds to strengthen several positions. Of course we need goals but we need to stop relying on just one player.

Astute

But it was all correct. What you have put is misinformation.

How many games did he refuse to play other than the one a couple of days before his transfer was completed?

Mcbean

Right lads - let’s get the thread back - this is a big game for the team stick or twist - win and we propel ourselves into the mix - first assumption - we are well capable of winning so let’s not have the naysayers - yes they have had a break but they will be up for it - Sheaf back is massive even if he has signed a contract - Vik buzzing from his first goal but Stoke will try and isolate him with 2-3 players so it’s time for a goal from Walker or Godden as those 2-3 will be busy accompanying Vik

skybluejelly

It’s over 5 years since any sky blues player scored a hatrick , hopefully todays the day , a good win at home just to keep the momentum up please

mmttww

Don’t care where the goal comes from but please May the first goal be ours. That will maintain the atmosphere and excitement in the home end. Hamer likes a nice goal against these🙏
Oggy was banging on about it a month or two ago; when we score first this season we're pretty untouchable. Points we've won when scoring first was nuts. Here's hoping!

Users who are viewing this thread