Zinedine Kilbane.. (1 Viewer)

wal3590

How bad was Kilbane last night, thought he brought absolutely nothing to the team, just let the game pass him by... Wood should be skipper imo

LJC_CCFC

How bad was Kilbane last night, thought he brought absolutely nothing to the team, just let the game pass him by... Wood should be skipper imo

My thoughts exactly should only be left back cover for Hussey or defensive mid cover for Thomas/Jennings

Nick

Administrator
He was out of the game for most of it I think. Didn't really do much in the first half.

I don't think he made any mistakes but towards the end when Hussey was going forward he couldn't support him.

He did put a nice ball in towards the end though :)

Reynolds_121

His two lunges into sliding tackles when there was no player anywhere near him was hilarious. Based on the last 3 games, he's utter garbage.

Bertola

wow. I thought Kilbane had a decent, solid game last night. Looked good on the ball, won a few tackles, covered Hussey on the rare occasions he got forward. I'm glad we've got him

Black6Osprey

He didn't do anything wrong but he's not exactly an impact player. I think 2 games in 3 days for an old boy may be asking a bit much. Is it enough though to have a key midfield position filled by someone who just does okay as he didn't do much at Yeovil either? I think his name and pedigree are going in front of what he actually does on the pitch. I hope I'm wrong and he either improves or Thorn has the guts to drop him.

LJC_CCFC

Were you both at the game or you just both clueless about football? I thought Kilbane did absolutely fine!

Don't get me wrong he is a steady player and he would do a good job sitting just in front of the defence where his lack of pace isn't so evident, but as thorn has decided too play him left of the diamond he becomes vunerable. Having to cover Hussey and provide some creativity means he is often out of position and struggles to track back. His selection only adds to a severe lack of pace in the team, hence when united broke away for their goal the Pacy Nick Blackman was able to evade being tracked by the three on the left side of the defence wood, Hussey and killer

ashbyjan

Kilbane is a gifted footballer with loads of experience, he talked to the players around him and did the simple things well without having a dramatic impact on the game. My main worry about Kilbane is his age/fitness - is he up to 2 hard games a week like we will be facing this season? Is he just that one season too old? Have we got another Arjan De Zeeuw? The jury is out for me but certainly he didn't inspire last night.

skyblueman

I thought he did OK last night

Way way too early to judge any of the team really - we need a dozen competitive matches under our belts before we can draw any sensible conclusions on anyone

wal3590

Sorry but anyone who think he had a half decent game either got him mixed up with Barton or has never played a game of football in his life. He ambles around the pitch, and is 5-10 yards off the pace. He left Hussey very exposed as he was sitting so narrow. If he is going to play he needs to play LB imo.

stupot07

What a patient, supportive lot.

Problem is too many posters in here have bigged him and his 110 international caps up, and when his age is mentioned the response is "look at what Dennis Wise did".

He played average last night, no better no worse. If he continues to play like that though it will be difficult to justify his place in the side when Thomas is fit.

shy_tall_knight

Brown was poor - at fault for the goal etc.. his mistakes were visible, Kilbane's contribution was negligible. I can sometimes be guilty of underestimating the role that certain players play but he was off the pace in the first half and offered nothing down the left hand side. He got better in the second half as did most of the team but he looked very slow.

Yorkshire SB

Sorry but anyone who think he had a half decent game either got him mixed up with Barton or has never played a game of football in his life. He ambles around the pitch, and is 5-10 yards off the pace. He left Hussey very exposed as he was sitting so narrow. If he is going to play he needs to play LB imo.

Spot on. His movement is non-existent, there were many occasions where Hussey would come forward with the ball and he would just stand there inside of him showing for the ball when he should've made the run outside, where the space was. I add not many 35 year olds have the stamina to play more than 20-25 games a season and I think we need to realistic about our expectations with Kilbane, played on two games in four days is asking quite a lot.

Mo Konjic

I'm pretty sure the cross came in from the left! So you would be referring to a lack of tracking back for the goal by reece brown and adam barton, not Kilbane and Hussey!?

Mucca Mad Boys

Imo, I do not think Kilbane will start when Thomas is 100% but whilst he isn't Kilbane should start as his experience is useful and showed it when Hussey got forward, Kilbane slotted in until he got back into position.

I'm pretty sure the cross came in from the left! So you would be referring to a lack of tracking back for the goal by reece brown and adam barton, not Kilbane and Hussey!?

It came from the right, Brown let him past...

Hincha

Quinn (i think) crossed from the left, but Blackman was the quickest to get to the backpost ahead of Kilbane and Hussey (i hope thats what he means)

Mo Konjic

Seems a bit harsh that you should point the blame to Kilbane, a 35-year-old playing on the left, for not getting back in the 86th minute to stop a striker from scoring inside the box!
Looking for excuses, get off his back he brings a wealth of experience to this young team, he is a cool head on the ball, he will slowly improve Chris Hussey as a player and he is captain for a reason..

LJC_CCFC

Seems a bit harsh that you should point the blame to Kilbane, a 35-year-old playing on the left, for not getting back in the 86th minute to stop a striker from scoring inside the box!
Looking for excuses, get off his back he brings a wealth of experience to this young team, he is a cool head on the ball, he will slowly improve Chris Hussey as a player and he is captain for a reason..

I'll refer you to my previous point

Don't get me wrong he is a steady player and he would do a good job sitting just in front of the defence where his lack of pace isn't so evident, but as thorn has decided too play him left of the diamond he becomes vunerable. Having to cover Hussey and provide some creativity means he is often out of position and struggles to track back. His selection only adds to a severe lack of pace in the team, hence when united broke away for their goal the Pacy Nick Blackman was able to evade being tracked by the three on the left side of the defence wood, Hussey and killer

Covstu

he didnt set the world alight last night and left Hussey exposed quite a few times but he didnt have a terrible game (in conjunction with the rest of the teams performance). Doesnt need this level of critism anyway!

Astute

The idea of having Kilbane is having his experience to help the other defenders out. Reads the game well. When our midfield are working as a unit things will get easier. Jennings has experience in midfield. The two together will help the rest of the team. A lot of the time the best players don't do anything special to do their job. Keep it simple. They leave it to the flair players to get the praise.

I have seen a couple of people on here say Jennings is average at best. The knowledgable fans saw what he does. Short pass and move. Keep the ball. Wait for a gap. No need for a 30 yard pass. Look average but play simple. That is all that is needed. Leave the flair for AM or strikers.

Last edited:

Paxman II

No not good enough on current showings to be in the starting 11 for me. He was brought in as the experienced leader and I see little of that tbh.

thechase

No not good enough on current showings to be in the starting 11 for me. He was brought in as the experienced leader and I see little of that tbh.

He is constantly advising and talking to the other players about covering gaps etc. He does simple passes well and can still cross a ball as demonstrated at the end of the game last night. I put all this criticism down to Bell being injured and needing someone to slag off, shame for Kilbane its him who is the new 'chosen one'. If anybody should be criticised its Brown who is appalling.

shmmeee

Who would you play in his place? I don't see any other midfielders pulling up trees.

Paxman II

Shimee it's a case of how many defesive minded midfielders you need? If jennings is the answer to that department then one pit bull is enough. We need to win games and go for it with a sense of abandonment....this is league 1 remember where the skill factor on show is poor generally. Put teams under pressure. McSheffrey would give a more attacking option and of course we have injuries otherwise I feel Killer would not be in the starting 11.

oakey

Could Kilbane replace Sammy as the scapegoat midfielder ... watch this space...
:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread