You're in Robins shoes, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

ccfclinney

Haynes is decent player I would keep him for back up.. Reid simply has to go, Beavon another one also if anyone will come in.. we could defiantly do with another striker .. I wouldn’t sell Willis no way he’s one of our best players you don’t sell you’re best Players’s if you can help it..

ceetee

It's all a bit hypothetical isn't it.
You can only sell players that some other club wants to buy.
i know that's obvious but it still seems to pass some people by

Adge

I’ve been very critical in the past about Willis last season and earlier this season and felt that it was more than justified. The last 2 months he has been a tower of strength alongside McDonald or Davies and long may it continue. 2 months out of 4 seasons though is not enough and if it meant us having too sacrifice him to get others in to help us over the line then so be it.

SlowerThanPlatt

I’ve been very critical in the past about Willis last season and earlier this season and felt that it was more than justified. The last 2 months he has been a tower of strength alongside McDonald or Davies and long may it continue. 2 months out of 4 seasons though is not enough and if it meant us having too sacrifice him to get others in to help us over the line then so be it.

Are you really suggesting he’s only played well for 2 months and never before? Even by your standards, that’s ridiculous

Adge

Are you really suggesting he’s only played well for 2 months and never before? Even by your standards, that’s ridiculous
That’s exactly what I am saying! He’s been “consistently good” in the last 2 months. He’s never had a spell as good as this in his Ccfc career before.

steve82

It's all a bit hypothetical isn't it.
You can only sell players that some other club wants to buy.
i know that's obvious but it still seems to pass some people by

That was the point of the thread really, it's totally hypothetical to see what we'd all do if a bid came in. A few have read it for what it is, some have missed the idea of the scenario but had a fair input to the bigger picture and what ideally would happen.

I should of wrote it a bit clearer perhaps on my first post so it's my small error.

I'll make it clearer...

steve82

The scenario was your MR, it's this morning (29th), you received a bid for Jordan Willis from Blackburn, a good fair bid too that reflects his current form.

Would you...
A) accept to wheel and deal with the targets you'd already identified and set out should a scenario like this happen and cash come available to strengthen to hope to see the squad over the line
Or
B) reject bid and go as you are as he's vital to the club moving forwards, we're good enough, and hope there's no more injuries in the attacking areas and hope a target becomes available in the next 3 days with the small amount of budget you got left.

The side aspect was you drew Wigan away in the cup so no additional pay day as such and James Maddison is staying st Norwich this window.

What would you do as manager with 1st time promotion key in most fans thoughts and your start of season target.

Nick

Administrator
It depends on what targets there are and their availability.

For example we had agreed a price for Craig Davies but they then changed their mind. Are many of our targets actually available?

steve82

That’s exactly what I am saying! He’s been “consistently good” in the last 2 months. He’s never had a spell as good as this in his Ccfc career before.

I would have to agree he's playing the best football of his career consistently currently in the last 2 months, while before having a good season playing in a settled side.

Consistency has always been his issue and doing it for 90 minutes, which he's done in his last 8/9 games.

Tho before this season he's had good games, excellent games and his fair share of bad games as anyone will in the sides we've had.

Played over 150 CCFC games now and looking his best ever with out a doubt.

steve82

It depends on what targets there are and their availability.

For example we had agreed a price for Craig Davies but they then changed their mind. Are many of our targets actually available?

You'd like to think he's a list short list of players he'd pay for if money came in from Maddison or a player sale and also a list of players that could become available for a free if a deal could be agreed between you and the now free agent.

I doubt we'd be going down the route of signing a player who's not kicked a ball all season and without a club that's for sure. Would take too long to get them up to speed. Only exception could be Baker for that scenario.

Captain Dart

If we get a big draw in the FA cup this evening then surely funds for a marquee sighing are assured?
Even a home draw against one of the lesser teams left in the draw will be a big crowd, pretty much nailed on 25,000+.
What is more there should be no need to sell unless it is what the player really wants & keeping him will only unsettle him.

ceetee

That was the point of the thread really, it's totally hypothetical to see what we'd all do if a bid came in. A few have read it for what it is, some have missed the idea of the scenario but had a fair input to the bigger picture and what ideally would happen.

I should of wrote it a bit clearer perhaps on my first post so it's my small error.

I'll make it clearer...
Actually I wasn't responding to your OP so much as people who produce a list of players they don't rate and suggest the club should sell them

Alkhen

surely getting shot of Turnbull has taken pressure off wages wise?

Id be happy if not inspired if we managed to get through the window without change but if MR can get shot of Reid or Bevon to free up some wages id go for a centre forward. As well as Max and McN have done we could do with some proper back up

Grendel

If we get a big draw in the FA cup this evening then surely funds for a marquee sighing are assured?
Even a home draw against one of the lesser teams left in the draw will be a big crowd, pretty much nailed on 25,000+.
What is more there should be no need to sell unless it is what the player really wants & keeping him will only unsettle him.

A 25,000 crowd here would equate to around 11,500 compared to a typical match in League Two so its hardly anything and if it’s Wigan or Rochdale / Millwall the gate would be much much lower.

Mucca Mad Boys

It's all hypothetical... not real and currently no bids or concrete interest but as you say his value has gone up and is the one out of the whole squad to fetch a good sum or likely interest.

It's all if buts and maybes to see if anyone would cash in our riches to strengthen the rest of the squad with 3 days of the window to upgrade from shopping in exchange and mart to having a pick from the show room.

The who scenario of the thread was a hypothetical one

The scenario was your MR, it's this morning (29th), you received a bid for Jordan Willis from Blackburn, a good fair bid too that reflects his current form.

Would you...
A) accept to wheel and deal with the targets you'd already identified and set out should a scenario like this happen and cash come available to strengthen to hope to see the squad over the line
Or
B) reject bid and go as you are as he's vital to the club moving forwards, we're good enough, and hope there's no more injuries in the attacking areas and hope a target becomes available in the next 3 days with the small amount of budget you got left.

The side aspect was you drew Wigan away in the cup so no additional pay day as such and James Maddison is staying st Norwich this window.

What would you do as manager with 1st time promotion key in most fans thoughts and your start of season target.

B all day long.

Look, this hypothetical scenario you pose is totally flawed. It’s a much worthwhile question asking whether or not we should sell Stevenson for some imaginary striker or whatever.

Here are some things for you to think about:
- it’s now the 29th Jan, assuming we receive bids for Willis, the likelihood is the deal won’t be completed until the last minute. We’ll end up with cold feet because we couldn’t act without a deal going through.
- carrying on to this point, if we were in a position to act on deadline day, prices for any targets would likely be inflated and because it’d be so late in the window. The possibility is we’d end up losing our best CB and no replacement.

- January isn’t the time to be making massive changes to our squad, generally, a couple of signings to supplement what you have. If we sold Willis, we’d still need another CB for cover at least.

- bigger picture now, Willis can play at L1 standard, if we want to get to L1, and stay there, you keep players who are good enough for that division. Which means not wasting money on a decent L2 standard striker. As we seen with Davies - who’s at Oldham, who are in a relegation dogfight - L1 players aren’t going to drop to L2.

I’d have no qualms if you were asking this in the summer because there’d be plenty of time to do deals. We don’t have time as a luxury in this window. In short, it’d be naive at best, damn right stupid at worst to sell Willis at this point in the season.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

A 25,000 crowd here would equate to around 11,500 compared to a typical match in League Two so its hardly anything and if it’s Wigan or Rochdale / Millwall the gate would be much much lower.
Ahh yes I was forgetting the way the fee is split, still there is a chance it would be the live match on telly & that's worth about £250,000.
The other issue concerning a home game is the good will it will generate with local support.

steve82

B all day long.

Look, this hypothetical scenario you pose is totally flawed. It’s a much worthwhile question asking whether or not we should sell Stevenson for some imaginary striker or whatever.

Here are some things for you to think about:
- it’s now the 29th Jan, assuming we receive bids for Willis, the likelihood is the deal won’t be completed until the last minute. We’ll end up with cold feet because we couldn’t act without a deal going through.
- carrying on to this point, if we were in a position to act on deadline day, prices for any targets would likely be inflated and because it’d be so late in the window. The possibility is we’d end up losing our best CB and no replacement.

- January isn’t the time to be making massive changes to our squad, generally, a couple of signings to supplement what you have. If we sold Willis, we’d still need another CB for cover at least.

- bigger picture now, Willis can play at L1 standard, if we want to get to L1, and stay there, you keep players who are good enough for that division. Which means not wasting money on a decent L2 standard striker. As we seen with Davies - who’s at Oldham, who are in a relegation dogfight - L1 players aren’t going to drop to L2.

I’d have no qualms if you were asking this in the summer because there’d be plenty of time to do deals. We don’t have time as a luxury in this window. In short, it’d be naive at best, damn right stupid at worst to sell Willis at this point in the season.

Thanks for your constructive response and good points raised. A good post.

The reason I suggested Willis as I believe he'd be the one with the highest value and the one to attract the main interest out the side as opposed to Ben Stevenson who's likely value has dropped to what it was 12 months ago.

Your correct tho January is a bad time and MR has said this as many others have and historically said and like you say prices would be inflated, tho as would that of Willis too.... so all balances out that way.

I'd imagine a deal could of been done for any incoming transfers in time before the window closes tho as each day closes and hours tick by its getting to tighter now so I'd currently be more reluctant to do any business now at this stage unless we're "down the road" with any enquiries ourself.

It was a topic I did raise in the summer too so it's not the first time I've suggested this type of scenario as he was then into the last year of his contract before he extended it earlier this season.

Personally I'd like to see the match day 18 remain here till the summer as opposed to unnecessary sales but at the same time I'd liked to of beef up the attacking options to see us over the line so I'd not of been opposed to doing a deal if we'd already had targets lined up having made initial tentative enquiries already.

But as I say as each hour ticks by things get too tight for comfort to wheel and deal.

Id right now be hoping for a plum cup tie if I was MR looking to do business in this window in all seriousness.

Users who are viewing this thread