Your Top Qualities of a football manager (2 Viewers)

ClarrieB

What do you feel are the top qualities a football manager needs to be successful against the odds?

This isn't a slanging match thread - so please try to stay on topic.

Add as many as you like.

I'll kick off

• Able to inspire a commitment to the cause

Last edited:

Marty

• Tactical ability
  • Ability to see issues and address them without problem

Nick

Administrator
  • Get the most out of your players
  • If you cant build a team to suit your style of play then create a style of play to suit the players
  • Notice opponents weakspots and exploit them
  • Notice where our opponents are hammering us and change it

Grendel

Be a strong leader
Act as an ambassador to the club both through local and national media
Be a figure that gets respect just by being in the room

Brighton Sky Blue

At big clubs, the ability to handle huge fan pressure and the media spotlight. At small clubs, the ability to maximise limited resources.

Greggs

Vision.
Innovation.
Edge.
Strategy.
Tactical Awareness.
Respect.
Leadership.
Communication.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
a good and clear communicator

able to listen

wide and detailed knowledge of the game

an understanding of the sport psychology and how it affects players , the game and himself

a willing and quick learner, able to adapt and to be flexible in approach

the ability to gather and lead the team of players but also the team of coaches

has clear thought process's and is a decision maker

a positive personality with drive

tactically aware and able to implement and convey alternatives

that will do for a start................

Grendel

the bigger this list grows the more it begins to sound like a description of me, hmmmm:whistle:

I know who it doesn't sound a description of.

covcity4life

true student of the game,thinks about football 24/7, keeps eye on worldwide games and leagues, no fear ,ability to adapt.

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
found this which pretty much covers it

Personal Attributes of Leaders

Skilled Communicator. Able to clearly explain tasks and inspire others with varying backgrounds and perspectives.

Confidence. Poise, clear thinking under pressure, conviction in the course being set, and decisiveness are characteristics that earn the respect and loyalty of others.

Fairness. Treats people fairly, makes decisions consistent with clearly expressed standards of right and wrong. When handling disputes, the leader’s resolution engenders a feeling of justice, equal treatment and evenhandedness.

Generosity. A ‘giver’ rather than ‘taker’; a giver of time, knowledge and caring.

Honesty. Truthful and openly self-critical with regard to acknowledging own errors.

Humility. Modest about his or her abilities and always respectful of others.

Mastery. Makes decisions and demonstrates a high personal commitment to acquisition of knowledge, skill mastery and thoughtful action.

Passion. Performs work and play and approaches every task with passion and enthusiasm.

Optimism. Believes that everyone has something important to contribute to the success of the organization; creates an environment that is positive, hopeful and buoyant – a place of working, playing and human interaction that employees and student-athletes enjoy and value.

Selflessness. Puts the needs, interests and wishes of others before his or her own self interest. When the leader asks someone to do something, that person knows that what is being asked is for the larger good or good of another.

Trustworthy. Builds trust and confidence by acting in team member's best interest and not revealing confidential information.

-- Donna Lopiano, Ph.D., President, Sports Management Resources

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

I don't really have any. Football management just seems so random, chaotic.

A manager with a spotless record can go to a bigger club with better resources and fall flat on his arse. A manager who has been sacked from his last two jobs can find success the third time around.

It's all about looking at the effort and tactics for me, with results secondary. Better that than to be taken in by cute soundbites, past success, local links etc.

Sutty

Most important of all - luck.

As Colonel Mustard says, managers can fluctuate between the best thing since sliced bread and a tactically inept, clueless, babbling moron. (Iain Dowie anyone?)

Clarrie...

No one on here acts like the 'grammar' police unless you make errors on the same line as calling someone else illiterate. Practice what you preach, a little consistency and balance leads to a healthier discussion. I do not consider myself 'pro-Thorn', only 'pro-Coventry', but am not as relentlessly anti-Thorn as you, Grendel, sickboy, lordsummerisle, etc. If I can speak for myself and say where I have been as regards this thread / this forum... growing immensely bored of the circular and cyclical debates where nothing is resolved. You can take this for a 'victory' if you so wish.

As regards the constituent parts of a good manager... it is fairly obvious and most have been listed. In no particular order; luck, judgement, knowledge, flexibility, support, trust, respect, confidence, etc.

Clarrie...

No one on here acts like the 'grammar' police unless you make errors on the same line as calling someone else illiterate. Practice what you preach, a little consistency and balance leads to a healthier discussion. I do not consider myself 'pro-Thorn', only 'pro-Coventry', but am not as relentlessly anti-Thorn as you, Grendel, sickboy, lordsummerisle, etc. If I can speak for myself and say where I have been as regards this thread / this forum... growing immensely bored of the circular and cyclical debates where nothing is resolved. You can take this for a 'victory' if you so wish.

As regards the constituent parts of a good manager... it is fairly obvious and most have been listed. In no particular order; luck, judgement, knowledge, flexibility, support, trust, respect, confidence, etc.

Fuck, I knew I spelt 'judgment' wrong.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
ok my turn to be pedantic...... i do not believe respect is a quality at all ..........it is the earned result of the qualities the manager is in possession of.

he can show respect but again is this a quality or the result of anothers actions/abilities etc ?

ok pedantic button is on off now

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Some posters appears to have read the thread title as 'imagine the qualities you perceive Thorn as lacking, and list them as managerial prerequisites to highlight his inadequacies'

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
hope that doesnt refer to me MMM ........... because it would be wholly inaccurate

Grendel

Some posters appears to have read the thread title as 'imagine the qualities you perceive Thorn as lacking, and list them as managerial prerequisites to highlight his inadequacies'

I can assure you that is not the case from my perspective.

ok my turn to be pedantic...... i do not believe respect is a quality at all ..........it is the earned result of the qualities the manager is in possession of.

he can show respect but again is this a quality or the result of anothers actions/abilities etc ?

ok pedantic button is on off now

No, respect is certainly earned through actions. So, I would say that - in a list of what makes a good manager - having respect from your playing staff is part of the process and would indicate that there is something about the manager, after all. I may have put the chicken before the egg. Or the egg before the chicken.

WestEndAgro

Many on here belief Thorn hasn't got any inadequacies

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
ok MMM no probs and thanks ...... just wanted to be sure :) :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread