Your Thoughts On 5 At The Back (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

532 or 5311 is the way, mark my words. Hopefully with Sheaf and O’Hare back Ayari can be carried physically. Until then it’s probably Eccles, Kelly, and AN Other.

SkyBlueMatt

Kitching/Lati have previously played LB and RB respectively so a 4-4-1-1 might let the handbrake off Milan/get some crosses in.

Square pegs etc but we def need a plan B

View attachment 31879

6 at the back!

We can achieve that without the extra defender. When we're attacking and the wing backs are pushing forward, Eccles should be able to drop back into the back four and push the RCB and LCB out into their positions.

shmmeee

Already making errors at the back and not getting much cohesion going forwards, changing the system at this point wouldn’t help. We know that it takes time for Robins teams to get to grips with it, just got to expect indifferent form while that happens.

Though Esoterica’s idea is interesting if we’re still struggling for form come January.

Oh shmmeee suggests 4231 and it’s more shit emojis than Patrick Stewart’s IMDB profile.

Classy tactical genius Esoterica suggests it and it’s and interesting idea.

I see. I see.

fernandopartridge

I could see a 4-2-3-1 working. MVE has shown enough to suggest he can defend well enough to play in a back 4. Da Silva has played well but not produced enough so I’d have no issues playing Bidwell. The fullbacks can still get forward in that formation. Kelly spent most of the league 2 season covering Grimmer while he got forward. There’s less pressure on the DMs to break lines (Hamer style) when you already have 3 AMs and a forward. They would have to do more lateral work instead but i actually think it suits Kelly and Eccles better. Wright also seems to naturally drift to that left side.

Godden or Simms
Wright, Palmer, Sakamoto
Eccles, Kelly
Da Silva, 2 mobile centre backs, MVE

Anyway, can’t see Robins changing it when a back 3 has brought us success or when it’s this early in the season. Or dropping Fadz from what is a brand new defence, so it’s all FM stuff. I think it could work though, at least as a plan B.

It was Robins' favoured system in his first spell here

BlueSkiesForever

I'm a City fan - have been for years/decades. Yeovil at home 2-6, Wimbledon at home 0-0 iat Highfield Rd with about 5,000 others. I'm not fixated about any result in any game ('87 cup final. perhaps excepted), there will always be the next game and the game after that. For me it's about the day out with mates, and following the team unerringly; positive results are a bonus, (and the events post Notts County 1-4 victory have been pretty much a constant buzz, I just think some fans need a reminder that you cannot constantly demand/expect results. There are 2 teams on the pitch for every match, with an opposition set of players/supporters wanting the same. Of course I want to smash Huddersfield 3-0, but have followed us long enough not to be demanding it.
I’m not demanding it I’m just saying I’ll be disappointed, I never once said “I demand we score 2 goals or more” I just think it’ll be a thoroughly poor showing if we draw or lose that game. As you say, there are plenty of games still to play this season but I want to see us do well, especially when there’s a good buzz about the place atm, we need to make the most of these 18,000-19,000 season ticket holders, imagine how many will think twice about it next year if we’re losing to Huddersfield at home and then drawing to so and so next week and then drawing the week after that etc etc. I think a loss or draw to Huddersfield will humble us quite a bit, some may say that’s what we need but I just don’t see how it does any good for the club and team morale.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m not demanding it I’m just saying I’ll be disappointed, I never once said “I demand we score 2 goals or more” I just think it’ll be a thoroughly poor showing if we draw or lose that game. As you say, there are plenty of games still to play this season but I want to see us do well, I think a loss or draw to Huddersfield will humble us quite a bit, some may say that’s what we need but I just don’t see how it does any good for the team morale.
Aside from yet again throwing away a 1st round League Cup game I haven’t been too disappointed so far. I can see what we’re trying to do and how it’s been made more difficult by St Gus timing his move and Sheaf’s injury.

We should be beating Huddersfield mind you.

BlueSkiesForever

Aside from yet again throwing away a 1st round League Cup game I haven’t been too disappointed so far. I can see what we’re trying to do and how it’s been made more difficult by St Gus timing his move and Sheaf’s injury.

We should be beating Huddersfield mind you.
Yeah definitely agree tbf, we have a good spirit about the way we play, we have a great set of coaches/manager and a great fanbase, I think we’re in a very good place atm, but we also do need to start putting wins on the board.
As you say, the Sheaf injury has highlighted how lacking we are in midfield, especially as we never managed to buy a Hamer-type midfielder to replace him. If we just had someone like him in midfield I think we’d be turning some of these draws into wins but it just feels very stretched atm.

Sky Blue Harry H

I’m not demanding it I’m just saying I’ll be disappointed, I never once said “I demand we score 2 goals or more” I just think it’ll be a thoroughly poor showing if we draw or lose that game. As you say, there are plenty of games still to play this season but I want to see us do well, especially when there’s a good buzz about the place atm, we need to make the most of these 18,000-19,000 season ticket holders, imagine how many will think twice about it next year if we’re losing to Huddersfield at home and then drawing to so and so next week and then drawing the week after that etc etc. I think a loss or draw to Huddersfield will humble us quite a bit, some may say that’s what we need but I just don’t see how it does any good for the club and team morale.
Agree with what @Brighton Sky Blue said above

Gint11

5 at the back with wingbacks isn’t a concern for us. Our issues is the gap and link up between midfield and the forward line and misfiring strikers

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah definitely agree tbf, we have a good spirit about the way we play, we have a great set of coaches/manager and a great fanbase, I think we’re in a very good place atm, but we also do need to start putting wins on the board.
As you say, the Sheaf injury has highlighted how lacking we are in midfield, especially as we never managed to buy a Hamer-type midfielder to replace him. If we just had someone like him in midfield I think we’d be turning some of these draws into wins but it just feels very stretched atm.
I would be very interested to know who this apparent European target was to replace Hamer, on that note.

shmmeee

As we’re suggesting mental formations, what about a return to the 4222 from L2?

Wilson
MvE Lats Binks Bidwell
Eccles Kelly
Palmer Ayari
Simms Wright

BlueSkiesForever

Wilson
MvE Lats Binks Bidwell
Eccles Kelly
Palmer Ayari
Simms Wright
Looks interesting tbf, obviously never happen but I would be up for trying it for a game, McFadz isn’t going to last forever so it’d be good trying out formations without him for when he’s not here. I’m just down for anything new at this stage, fed up of drawing 😂

Brighton Sky Blue

Wilson
MvE Lats Binks Bidwell
Eccles Kelly
Palmer Ayari
Simms Wright
Maybe we could go on the Football Manager tactics forums for those weird asymmetric formations? Tell Godden to be a ‘raumdeuter’ and Eccles a ‘segundo volante’ for good measure.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fuck it let’s go for it, bring it on Cardiff!! 🔥😂
Wilson: Sweeper Keeper (Attack)
MVE: Complete wing back (Attack)
Lati: Wide centre back (Defend)
McF: No-nonsense centre back (Defend)
Binks: Wide centre back (Defend)
JDS: Wing back (Support)
Kelly: Defensive midfielder (Defend)
Eccles: Segundo volante (support)
Ayari: Advanced playmaker (support)
Godden: Shadow striker (attack)