Your Portfolio (3 Viewers)

Greggs

I've been loving the current bargains in the stock market, was just interested in what others have in their portfolio's and how diversified they are.
I'm long term on all my investments and i'm very happy with my current holdings. Invested in 5 companies overall. My undervalued stock is 'Kier' in the construction industry, it's due to rocket and my average price is around 90p. I've also nice chunks in Rentokil, Apple and Greggs. My growth stock is Canopy Growth, it's taken a beating over the last year......but i'm not interested in that for another 10 years at least.

Be brave when others are fearful. We won't see bargains like this for another generation.

Walsgrave

I've been loving the current bargains in the stock market, was just interested in what others have in their portfolio's and how diversified they are.
I'm long term on all my investments and i'm very happy with my current holdings. Invested in 5 companies overall. My undervalued stock is 'Kier' in the construction industry, it's due to rocket and my average price is around 90p. I've also nice chunks in Rentokil, Apple and Greggs. My growth stock is Canopy Growth, it's taken a beating over the last year......but i'm not interested in that for another 10 years at least.

Be brave when others are fearful. We won't see bargains like this for another generation.
I've been trying to learn about stocks and shares - my parents invested quite a lot of their savings and allowed me to take over (although the money is still their of course!) so I'll always be grateful because whatever I add to the portfolio has an exponential effect (or certainly more of an exponential effect than if they were standalone).

Most of my investments are in stocks as I am a bit risk averse. I still am very risk averse during these times but a few companies I've had my eye on included Pearson (an education publisher). Their share price has fallen quite a lot since 2015 but I feel there could be a turnaround if some kind of digital transformation takes place.

It sounds a cliche but my biggest investment is simply the act of being a minimalist! Very few restaurant meals etc. Do I still enjoy life? Yes, absolutely! But there is always a savvier way to get what I want.

Rusty Trombone

Haven't got any shares but have been thinking of getting some since the recent crash, I've been keeping an eye on Barclays and M&B, could have bought both a lot lower than they are today, but I would think they have plenty increase left in them, especially longer term. The reason I haven't bought any yet is that my Mrs is ultra cautious and would always rather take 1% in the bank for a year than taking a gamble.

Greggs

I've been trying to learn about stocks and shares - my parents invested quite a lot of their savings and allowed me to take over (although the money is still their of course!) so I'll always be grateful because whatever I add to the portfolio has an exponential effect (or certainly more of an exponential effect than if they were standalone).

Most of my investments are in stocks as I am a bit risk averse. I still am very risk averse during these times but a few companies I've had my eye on included Pearson (an education publisher). Their share price has fallen quite a lot since 2015 but I feel there could be a turnaround if some kind of digital transformation takes place.

It sounds a cliche but my biggest investment is simply the act of being a minimalist! Very few restaurant meals etc. Do I still enjoy life? Yes, absolutely! But there is always a savvier way to get what I want.
That is such a strong message mate! I totally agree and am with you 100%. Having no debt is a huge factor to a happy mindset, also not being a materialistic egomaniac helps! I spend my money on football and investing in my long term future. I do feel for those caught up in the rat race with the constant comparison to 'what others have i must have' though. These bleak times must be difficult for them.

Greggs

Haven't got any shares but have been thinking of getting some since the recent crash, I've been keeping an eye on Barclays and M&B, could have bought both a lot lower than they are today, but I would think they have plenty increase left in them, especially longer term. The reason I haven't bought any yet is that my Mrs is ultra cautious and would always rather take 1% in the bank for a year than taking a gamble.

The trick is to only use your disposable cash mate! Fair enough leaving a few grand in your bank earning 1%...but like another poster pointed out, if you can cut down on the takeaways/posh meals/latest clothes then its good fun investing in a few companies that will reward you long term. Of course market volatility plays a massive part, but it always tends to recover.

LastGarrison

Would have been rude not to.

Marty

Some massive bargains about, I've gone from a fairly balanced portfolio, too, well I'm not sure how to put it...

Since the crash, I've picked up RDSB at roughly £13.50 average. BT at roughly £1.15. Now for the mistakes, LLOY at 32p, stupid decision really, I still little value in it, CCL (from a tip on here), got something like £1500 at £23ish (sitting at about £8 now).

Keeping a close eye on Centrica, Taylor Wimpey, Deutsche Post, ITV, De La Rue, Diageo, Iberdrola, Ford, Renault.

I'll continue to pick up Shell and BT as and when possible.

Only debt I have is my mortgage.

Greggs

Some massive bargains about, I've gone from a fairly balanced portfolio, too, well I'm not sure how to put it...

Since the crash, I've picked up RDSB at roughly £13.50 average. BT at roughly £1.15. Now for the mistakes, LLOY at 32p, stupid decision really, I still little value in it, CCL (from a tip on here), got something like £1500 at £23ish (sitting at about £8 now).

Keeping a close eye on Centrica, Taylor Wimpey, Deutsche Post, ITV, De La Rue, Diageo, Iberdrola, Ford, Renault.

Nice to hear from you mate, was hoping you'd pop up! I've never got involved with Oil, i eas reading a fortnight ago how they were giving barrels away
?

Greggs

I'm also hoping to build up enough of a dividend pot so i can just leave it to reinvest, well that's the plan. If Kier reintroduce their divi - im laughing! GLA

Rusty Trombone

I'm wary of the house builders, market values, and therefore profits, have been kept high by the Help to Buy scheme, and although this will probably continue I just think that property prices need a downward correction. You would have to think less people will want to take on buying a new home in the next year, so these companies will need to either reduce prices to get cash in, or hold on to a lot of stock whilst they wait for the right buyer.

clint van damme

really need to get into something like this. Got some money sitting in an ISA earning fuck all.
What's a good starting point? What sites do you use to trade etc?

Greggs

I'm wary of the house builders, market values, and therefore profits, have been kept high by the Help to Buy scheme, and although this will probably continue I just think that property prices need a downward correction. You would have to think less people will want to take on buying a new home in the next year, so these companies will need to either reduce prices to get cash in, or hold on to a lot of stock whilst they wait for the right buyer.
Infrastructure work isn't just house building. The first thing the government will do to improve the economy is pump money into infrastructure. New bike lanes, highway improvements.....HS2!!!

clint van damme

AJ Bell is a nice online broker

so you set up an account, deposit some money and away you go (after doing some suitable research)!

What would you say is a reasonable amount to get started with and am I right to say that not all shares pay dividends?

Marty

Nice to hear from you mate, was hoping you'd pop up! I've never got involved with Oil, i eas reading a fortnight ago how they were giving barrels away
?

Yeah, thats correct, trade war between Saudi Arabia & Russia IIRC. I'm sure I read they were giving it away for free at one point if you could collect. Didn't read too much about it if I'm honest as I got distracted by something else.

Grendel

You do have to have a strong mindset as most people can’t cope with losing capital - at one point I lost £100 grand at the height of this crises

Rusty Trombone

Infrastructure work isn't just house building. The first thing the government will do to improve the economy is pump money into infrastructure. New bike lanes, highway improvements.....HS2!!!
yeah, I was thinking more of the Taylor Wimpey mention that was made by Marty.

Ian1779

You do have to have a strong mindset as most people can’t cope with losing capital - at one point I lost £100 grand at the height of this crises
In all seriousness - how do you not lose your shit if you see that happening?

Rusty Trombone

Lost completely or the value reduced by that at the time? That's a big hit to take whatever your circumstances.
I have to weigh up the reasons for buying any really, as whether I lose a bit or gain a bit it won't realistically change my standard of life in any way, but I know I would be annoyed with myself if the value went down, and as mentioned my partner would lynch me. She wasn't too happy when I put £1k into the gamble that is premium bonds.

Grendel

In all seriousness - how do you not lose your shit if you see that happening?

It’s all relative and you either believe in returns or not. Ten years ago fixed bonds would get 7% interest - it’s gone for good

it is odd to see capital disintegrate but you track history and on average you get net gains of around 4% a year in a decade. Also you spread across property currency and bonds as well and ficus shareholdings that pay dividends which provides income

The last three years have been odd as it’s rollscoaster stuff but you need to plan averages and never sell at the bottom

Greggs

so you set up an account, deposit some money and away you go (after doing some suitable research)!

What would you say is a reasonable amount to get started with and am I right to say that not all shares pay dividends?
As a rule of thumb - only invest what you can afford to lose. Any amount is a good start. Maybe pop a grand an investment ISA on AJBell. Pick two companies and go 50/50. You'll pay a dealing charge of about £10 and about 1% stamp duty, so try to keep transactions to a minimum to save yourself fees.
Make sure you do your due diligence before choosing where to invest. As a little tip, try only investing in things you enjoy/understand, it helps if you know the sector and how the company performs! Example......If you spend loads on sports clothes....JD Sport is a good stock with very strong growth behind it..........I obviously demolish steak bakes....hence the investment in them - its a bit more complicated than that, but thats a simple way to choose where to invest. .
Established companies usually pay dividends, but the amount is based on how much profit they have eared that quarter.

Greggs

Yeah, thats correct, trade war between Saudi Arabia & Russia IIRC. I'm sure I read they were giving it away for free at one point if you could collect. Didn't read too much about it if I'm honest as I got distracted by something else.
tits?

Greggs

You should average down so when it recovers it's win/win

Marty

I see it as an opportunity. I'm long on 4 of my 5 for the next 20 years. The markets correct eventually

Me too, over the next 15 hoping to build up around £400k with yields off 5-10%, buy a nice villa on the med with a bit of land to grow my own food and enjoy an early retirement.

Greggs

Me too, over the next 15 hoping to build up around £400k with yields off 5-10%, buy a nice villa on the med with a bit of land to grow my own food and enjoy an early retirement.
Same here mate. Hit 55 - cash in sipp - fuck off to a house in the middle of nowhere!

skyblue1991

Is there a common website you buy your shares from?

Marty

Italy Adriatic coast cheap as chips if you get a doer upper .
Who knows where it will be when you're ready to quit .
Abruzzo region .
Coast and hills , mountains nearby

Sounds delightful, I've never been Italy. Spain and Portugal are leading the way, I've been learning Spanish for the past year too.

Marty

Is there a common website you buy your shares from?

Plenty of brokers out there, all offer different things at different prices, access to different markets etc.

Hargreaves Lansdown is meant to be very user friendly for newbies.

fernandopartridge

Kier under valued? Really? I'd suggest you look at Carillion

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread