Your Portfolio (2 Viewers)

ccfc1234

Just a few names I would advise are worth a look at given their fall and because of their core business operation should see them rise significantly again (when the bull market starts again). Please Google their share price over the past year and separately decide if you feel we are entering the bottom of the bear market, which I think is a few months away.

1. Inmode (Future of non invasive cosmetic surgery. Vertically integrated company which means they control the whole operation from factory to end user)

2. Dash (Doordash has largest market share of all last mile delivery companies. That model was boosted by the pandemic but is hear to stay)

3. TDOC (Largest online Dr/medical provider)

4. Air b and b

Honourable mentions to Cazoo and Boohoo who have fallen about 80% from their heights but I would say have less rock solid business models.

After looking at them yourself, if anyone would like to discuss my rationale in more detail, happy to do so.

Brighton Sky Blue

Same here. Been on it for a while. Doing round ups plus a one off deposit each month. It’s gone from 13% down to -2% as the funds I’m in are very low so I’m putting more in to get value. Started using eToro 6 months ago too. That’s easy to use and you don’t have to invest big money in one lump.

Can recommend both but would suggest Moneybox first. Simple way to introduce yourself to investing and won’t notice the small round ups going out of your account.

Mine is down quite a lot at the moment but I’m not too concerned over the long term prospects.

CJ_covblaze

Mine is down quite a lot at the moment but I’m not too concerned over the long term prospects.
That’s got to be the golden rule. Need to leave the cash in for a longer period.

stay_up_skyblues

I’ve had my high risk stocks isa for three months now. It’s consistently down 1-3%. It was a test run with a few hundred so I haven’t added anything to it but once we move at the end of month I am putting what I was saving each month toward the house deposit away for the kids. Thinking it will be best put into a traditional savings account for now rather than the isa based on this performance.

Last edited:

dutchman

Some advisors suggest it's best to stockpile cash at times like this even though it's rapidly losing its value due to inflation.

The idea is it can be used to take advantage of any unexpected buying opportunites which present themselves.

But everyone's situation is different and what may be good advice for one person might be poor advice for another.

For example I would be taxed to death if my my bank account balance excedeed a certain figure.

Oddly enough it is currently just one Pound below that figure.

robbiekeane

What’s everyone’s strategy? I am sitting on cash just sat in brokerage account but not really sure what to do with it…do people think a crash is coming?

Vangard VTWAX is the ETF I usually dollar cost average into for long term investment but not done for a while. It’s 15% down on a 12 month average

Might just stick all in bonds

dutchman

What’s everyone’s strategy? I am sitting on cash just sat in brokerage account
Sounds very sensible to me even though it's frustrating.
Vangard VTWAX is the ETF I usually dollar cost average into for long term investment but not done for a while. It’s 15% down on a 12 month average
Not as bad as many.
Never, ever go all-in on any one thing even if you think it's bulletproof, they're forever inventing more deadly bullets.

Last edited:

Greggs

What’s everyone’s strategy? I am sitting on cash just sat in brokerage account but not really sure what to do with it…do people think a crash is coming?

Signs of a bear market coming to an end. The one month chart for Apple is beautiful. Get your money in low risk high performing companies like Microsoft and Apple. Apple had 87 Billion revenue in the last 3 months, and that's in a 'recession'.

clint van damme

Signs of a bear market coming to an end. The one month chart for Apple is beautiful. Get your money in low risk high performing companies like Microsoft and Apple. Apple had 87 Billion revenue in the last 3 months, and that's in a 'recession'.

Had to be honest with myself, I'm too lazy to put in the research you and others do so I put some money in a managed fund instead, doing far better than my ISA already.
Think they're the way to go for me.

My crypto starting to rally as well, did wonder if that was a sign of the bear market ending.
Thought the increase in interest rates might hurt crypto but not at the moment.

CCFCSteve

It’s been a positive end to the week but there’s still a lot of noise that the bear markets not over yet.

By all accounts the markets appear happier as they think the Fed are going to have to stop raising rates sooner than/not as much as expected…but that’s because of recession which will have its own impact on markets in the coming months. It’s also assuming inflation will get back under control..a big assumption still in the short to medium term ! If it doesn’t rates will continue to have to rise

It’s a weird time and very hard to know what’s best to do

Last edited:

Greggs

It’s been a positive end to the week but there’s still a lot of noise that the bear markets not over yet.

By accounts the markets are happier as they think the Fed are going to have to stop raising rates sooner than/not as much as expected…but that’s because of recession which will have its own impact on markets in the coming months. It’s also assuming inflation will get back under control..a big assumption still in the short term !

It’s a weird time and very hard to know what’s best to do
Do you not think that a 'recession' is already priced in? It's already been a very dark 18-24 months for the broad market, barring a few that have survived the correction pretty well, hopefully we've seen the 'bottom'. Fingers crossed the world can behave for a few years now, election in November in the USA too, Biden not been the best for the markets has he?

Greggs

Had to be honest with myself, I'm too lazy to put in the research you and others do so I put some money in a managed fund instead, doing far better than my ISA already.
Think they're the way to go for me.

My crypto starting to rally as well, did wonder if that was a sign of the bear market ending.
Thought the increase in interest rates might hurt crypto but not at the moment.
Fair play to you mate. If you're an advocate of crypto then the last few months have certainly been a buying opportunity. Good luck

Greggs

Sounds very sensible to me even though it's frustrating.

Not as bad as many.

Never, ever go all-in on any one thing even if you think it's bulletproof, they're forever inventing more deadly bullets.
That last quote hurts me mate, im 70% in on my biggest holding. The other 30% spread between cash and 2 other stocks.

CCFCSteve

Do you not think that a 'recession' is already priced in? It's already been a very dark 18-24 months for the broad market, barring a few that have survived the correction pretty well, hopefully we've seen the 'bottom'. Fingers crossed the world can behave for a few years now, election in November in the USA too, Biden not been the best for the markets has he?

I think the worry in the US in particular has been going into recession with inflation high (so can’t print more money), raising rates but inflation still not coming down as expected. As I mentioned the relief is the assumption that rates won’t rise as much as the markets originally thought but there’s nothing tangible to say that they won’t (as inflation hasn’t suddenly dropped although may have peaked)

I’ve given up trying to second guess stuff…this week Fed increased rates by 0.75%, GDP said they were in recession, inflation still very high and yet markets rallied hard 🤷‍♂️

Greggs

I think the worry in the US in particular has been going into recession with inflation high (so can’t print more money), raising rates but inflation still not coming down as expected. As I mentioned the relief is the assumption that rates won’t rise as much as the markets originally thought but there’s nothing tangible to say that they won’t (as inflation hasn’t suddenly dropped although may have peaked)

I’ve given up trying to second guess stuff…this week Fed increased rates by 0.75%, GDP said they were in recession, inflation still very high and yet markets rallied hard 🤷‍♂️
Very insightful, thanks. Let's just hope it's not the market being manipulated too much.

robbiekeane

It doesn’t surprise me that they can’t just wave the magic interest rages wand to solve this current inflation. The current inflation madness is not solely caused by the money supply and the velocity of money (yes it’s part of it) - there are external shocks at play in the post covid demand rebound and a supply chain not set up to react, AND then the crazy energy and oil price increases because of the Ukraine war.

This isn’t a case of getting the old quantity theory of money out and hiking rates

dutchman

That last quote hurts me mate, im 70% in on my biggest holding. The other 30% spread between cash and 2 other stocks.
I am too but that's because of my unusual tax position.
I would seldom recommend it to someone else.

'Mumsy' is into modern art and vintage cars but she's an experienced art-historian so the risk/reward ratio is extremely low for her. I've noticed a certain website is trying to lure ordinary investors into that sector but I would stay well clear unless you are an authority on the subject.

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

It doesn’t surprise me that they can’t just wave the magic interest rages wand to solve this current inflation. The current inflation madness is not solely caused by the money supply and the velocity of money (yes it’s part of it) - there are external shocks at play in the post covid demand rebound and a supply chain not set up to react, AND then the crazy energy and oil price increases because of the Ukraine war.

This isn’t a case of getting the old quantity theory of money out and hiking rates

Agreed. Very unusual times. I think the central banks are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. They definitely need some outside luck regarding inflation.

Edit - US inflation is a bit different to ours. They sent out $2t of Covid cheques which drove up prices in addition to impact of war, energy, supply issues etc. ours is more energy related

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

So where do we go now?

Gold static at best.
Crypto is shakey as ever.
Global markets are already gone to shit and still heading south...

My sipp funds have all tanked....

...best saving rate I can find is just over 4%.....

I'm seriously considering another go at spread betting on tradefair....

robbiekeane

So where do we go now?

Gold static at best.

Dollar cost average into your choice of funds and just forget about it

JAM See

So where do we go now?

Gold static at best.

Dollar cost average into your choice of funds and just forget about it
Agree with @robbiekeane , if you've got 12 months or so of cash, then just wait it out.

If you desperately need to access some of your portfolio, then liquidate as little as possible...and wait it out.

skyblu3sk

Currently watching a few copy portfolios on E-toro (couple of hundred in each to see what % come through) but every market seems to be static or tanked. Crypto is probably struggling due to lack of disposable income as I thought it may have rallied by now. My suggestion is anyone with a fixed term mortgage is to try and nail that down as returns are likely to be better than the market right now especially over a long term.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Markets are still tanking.....

I've got some cash sitting in my Sipp & will be sticking another bundle in there shortly as my 22/23 company pension contribution.....

So would you lot spread it across the funds within the SIPP right now, or would you hold the cash & wait for the bottom?

Where is the bottom?

robbiekeane

Markets are still tanking.....

I've got some cash sitting in my Sipp & will be sticking another bundle in there shortly as my 22/23 company pension contribution.....

So would you lot spread it across the funds within the SIPP right now, or would you hold the cash & wait for the bottom?

Where is the bottom?
There’s not really an easy answer to this mate because cash is guaranteed to lose value in real terms, and then it’s obviously a dodgy time for stock markets. Personally I’d split it into monthly payments (not sure what your time frame is) and just bang that same amount monthly into a total market fund and forget about it.

It of course depends on your risk tolerance and circumstances though. How long til you plan to retire? Generally the closer to retirement age the more conservative you should make your portfolio (usually more heavily weighted toward bonds etc low risk low return)

skyblu3sk

I have been using trust net to compare pension portfolios recently looking for the best returns over longer lengths of time hoping that as the markets recover they will be well placed to bounce back. Before this latest crisis they were averaging 8% over the last year and a half. Crashed back now again though.

Users who are viewing this thread