your memorys of 1976/77 PLEASE (1 Viewer)

1nfoman

does any one have any memories of the 2-2 draw back in 1976/77?

What I,m after is was there any radio commerntary
from BBC Birmingham
or updates on radio TWO

or did any commercial radio station cover the game

or even hospital radio

or better still does any RADIO recordings exist of that famous 2-2 draw

if you wanna e-mail me direct its [email protected]

Would any one have film action of the goals?

Many thanks

Astute

I was 8 / 9 then. The main way to find out was watching tv that gave the scores out as they happened with the vidi printer. The Pink then hit newsagents about an hour after the final whistle. There was always a queue for the Pink.

Otis

Seen some on Youtube. Definitely footage on there somewhere.

It would have been covered by hospital radio for sure, though I wouldn't think they ever kept any footage.

My overriding memory of the day was after the game when the three of us in our party came across two Bristol fans walking towards us menacingly and seemingly looking for a fight. Think I just said something along the lines of 'hey, we're both staying up, Sunderland are going down' and I shook their hands. After that they were fine with us and we walked along with them and chatted for a bit before sending them merrily on their way and all ended up hunky dory.

I couldn't see the scoreboard during the game, as I stood underneath it. I had no idea what was going on and found the whole thing unveiling before me quite bemusing.

skablue

The you tube footage is under the heading bristol city the glory years part 5. I was a bit young and didn't make my highfield road debut until 1979 but remember my older brother went, I have the matchday programmes from the game, might scan it and post it on the mackems forum when we're safe. Juvenile behaviour I know, but they started it!!

DazzleTommyDazzle

Went with 2 friends. We were in the West End. At the end of the game everyone tried to get on the pitch. During the surge forwards one of my friends got trapped against the crash barrier. As we walked back to the car his breathing got worse. Eventually I left them by the roadside and went to get the car. Had to take him to A&E where they found he'd got 3 cracked ribs.

Had to leave him there overnight and drive back (from Shropshire) to pick him up the next morning.

What fun...

sky_blue_up_north

Remember it well talking to Bristol fans working who needed what to stay up last 15 minutes just passing the ball around not a tackle made. At the end of the game shaking hands with bristol fans one crazy game never forget it well

oakey

Yeah I was there... A horrendous experience. Remember Bristol fans everywhere but no aggro.
We were 2 up and happy but when they pulled back to 2-2 it was very tense. Both teams sort of stopped playing in the last few minutes, presumably on orders from their benches.
There was NO tannoy announcement of Sunderland's score. Many urban myths say there were, but no-one near me heard one and the crowd was quiet at times near the end. Some fans had radios and rumours were flying... Remember Bristol fans were all over the ground too.
Then Everton 1 Sunderland 0 was flashed on the scoreboard, everyone went mental as it meant both teams were safe. Then something surreal happened and memory plays tricks. The scoreboard flashed just the word CORRECTION for, what seemed like an age, probably 30 seconds. Then 2-0 came up.
The rest is history but Sunderland went down because they couldn't manage a draw which would have made them safe. They would have done exactly the same in our shoes. 35 years is a long time to bear a grudge.

rob9872

I fell off my bike and grazed my knee

I rode to HR on my purple Falcon - made in Coventry- racing bike. I rode from Kenilworth was knackered! Locked it up outside the city supporters club to a lamp post and remember thinking god I hope it's still there when I come out! Ticket in the west end and a nice sunny evening I seem to remember. Great night and my bike was still there at the end PUSB!

skybluesam66

oakey is absoloutely correct, with the correction memory

also 2 goals from tommy hutch - and he only usually got 5 or 6 a season

EAst ender

My first night away match and the M5 on the way up was a sea of red and white.
There are varying quotes regarding the away support that night, somewhere around 15000 seems to be about right IIRC.
I do remember my dad being very happy at the end and lots of hand shakes between both sets of supporters which was rare in those days. There was an almighty roar when Jimmy Hill had the Sunderland score posted on the score board and it was all a bit surreal after that. Didn't one of your players give Wallace a bollocking for trying to score?
Imagine it happening in the Prem now? No chance.
Happy days!

Out of interest, Tommy Hutchison spent many years working for BCFC until his recent retirement. He was our Community officer and damn good at it too.

King-Dion

I was drinking in Soho, London that evening. I phoned the Daily Telegraph Sports Desk from a call box to find out the result. I didn't believe the guy when he said they were still playing! I was well pissed and couldn't understand at the time what was going on. With no instant news services in those days, I had to wait until getting a paper the next day to find out the great news. And what a story. Jimmy Hill should have got an MBE for getting that fuse pulled!

Skyblueloyal

I was in West stand during the game but cant remember much about it, but remember looking down on the west end and seeing s school friend there and spending 20 minutes trying to get him to look up. I lost my voice in doing so

Otis

I was in West stand during the game but cant remember much about it, but remember looking down on the west end and seeing s school friend there and spending 20 minutes trying to get him to look up. I lost my voice in doing so

36 years ago and you still don't know that I heard you shouting but was totally ignoring you? :eek::eek:

torchomatic

That was the first game I really remember going to. We were by the W A Blackburn sign - that's what I remember it saying anyway. I was 11 and remember it being pretty boring for the last few minutes and not really understanding why.

Stevec189

My mate and I used to go and watch on the cop it was the first season we were allowed to go on our own being 14. Somehow - probably via my Dad we had tickets in the main stand that night - right at the front. I remember it all pretty much as outlined above. At the end my mate and I jumped over the barriers and were dancing on the roof of the executive boxes below us until we were called back. We then went outside where someone had found a Bristol fan and they had us photographed together holding both scarfs. Little did I realise it was alife long commitment to last match day tensions! Of course many people have said the ability to win our last match of the season was why we won the FA cup! PUSB!!

Users who are viewing this thread