Your best and worst away games? (1 Viewer)

rob9872

It has to be following City and please try and avoid the obvious 87 cup run for best and Villa relegation for worst. There must be some good stories out there

I've had many great days out usually involving lots of drink and laughs, particularly in the early days of the SBA coaches from Pool Meadow, but some rank higher than others.

Best: Grimsby in the championship when Jeremy Beadle was the referee. Matt Jansen was playing for City. I think drink may have been taken and I think me and my mates must have annoyed everyone around us, but I can't remember laughing so much.

Worst: almost always fun going away, often even when we get beat as the result seems to matter less, but the cup game at Northampton in the pouring rain has to rank right up there.

I will come back to you on the best, but losing to Sheffield United in the cup sticks in my mind as quite possibly the worst.

* EDIT - perhaps Man U away in the cup as the best (am I allowed two cup fixtures)? My memory isn't the best, they were the two I found in the not too distant recesses. I generally enjoy most away fixtures I go to (although this is sometimes every detail except for the 90 minutes of football) due to - all too often - a bit of a sesh!

Last edited:

torchomatic

Lots of worst. Any visit to The Dell where the pitch was level with your chest. The Sutton game obviously was a bit rubbish. Can remember a long trip to Scarborough which was also pretty rubbish. Always enjoyed going to Hillsborough.

Sky Blue M

Best I have seen 4-1 at Blackburn. For a league game it would be the 4-1 at Barnsley opening game of the season a few years ago.

Worst would be either Bristol last year or Crewe a few years ago where we lost 4-1

Ryan Parfrey

Best are Probably Man united away, Portsmouth away 3-0, and Wimbledon away 3-0 and Watford 2-2 when we was 2-0 down with little time left! Blackburn both times..

Worst are probably losing 3-0 at Reading and being 3-0 down at HT, losing 2-0 at Morecambe and probably Derby lastyear. (only 17 btw)

torchomatic

I think the first visit to Old Trafford is fantastic for most fans. I remember it was £2.50 to get in. Don't remember the result just the raincloud of "coins" from those seated in the tier above us. Bless 'em. The noise was incredible.

torchomatic

I remember going to the first game we were on Sky at Forest on a Monday night. That's when they used to have "artists" singing before matches. There were two little blokes with their jeans on back to front.

SkyblueDave89

Best beating Spurs to stay up at White Hart Lane & sitting on the train with Sunderland fans who were relegated worst last season getting beat by Bury in Cup after I brought tickets to have a meal before the game in their supporters bar

ggrady

Best- coming back from 2-0 down to 2-2 in last 30 seconds at Watford
Worst- either Bristol last season or Cardiff on boxing day 2 years ago. Lost 2-0, Bellemy scored, freezing cold and shit atmosphere put a downer on Xmas :p

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
best Blackburn away in cup because it was my lads first away game - was great to see him enjoy it so much. Followed by Man City in 1967/68 my first away game

worst - any time I went to Filbert Street

torchomatic

The worst game I remember at Filbert Street, OSB was our 5-1 defeat just before Christmas in 84. That was the one where Gould ran onto the pitch.

Colonel Mustard

Worst: probably the FA Cup quarter final loss to Sheffield United in '98.

Best: easily Tottenham away, '97. Crazy euphoria in the away end.

I knew I would be better informed after reading other people's responses. I concur that beating Villa at their place twice in one season was pretty special and Tottenham away to stay up was a different level (despite bricking it for much of the match day experience).

Grendel

The worst game I remember at Filbert Street, OSB was our 5-1 defeat just before Christmas in 84. That was the one where Gould ran onto the pitch.

Yes I remember that. I was in that big stand behind the goal. A Leicester fan next to me said whose that twat on the pitch and I said our manager and your character assesmemt is spot on. Didn't we then get stuffed at Luton 2 days later and then he was sacked?

NuneatonSkyBlue

One of the best for me West Brom away about 4 seasons ago on a tuesday night. We won 4-2 best got 2 mifsud and ward got the other 2 iirc. We went 2-0 up then they came back to 2-2 and then mifsud got that tosser paul robinson (the defender) sent off and the rest is history. Can remember all us away fans going "boing boing" for the last 15 mins of that game and the wba fans' faces were a picture.

One of the worst would possibly be the 4-1 defeat to Ipswich around the same season on a sunday iirc. We never turned up and i had to sot and watch it atportman road which is a sh*thole. The game was on sky aswell to make matters worse.

pusbccfc

Although we had some dire performances the support last year for every away game was immense! I enjoyed the 14 I went although we picked no points from any of them! The away support at Reading was incredible as was at Southampton!

Anyone on here go to the 4-2 win away at West Brom 3/4 years ago on a tuesday night!
It was about a month after the United game but many there said it was a better night!
2 nil up after 5 minutes tearing apart a team pushing for promotion!
It stayed 2 nil till about the 70th minute when the Baggies scored 2 in about 4 minutes.
Cov fans went silent after being so loud all night! So depressed!

Then with 5 mins to go Elliott Ward grabbed the ball at the halfway line and beat about 3 players and put it through to mifsud who scored.
Then Best topped it off with his 2nd!
I've never heard 800 fans be so loud! Mifsud was immense, totally ripped them to shreds and best was class also!

Charlton Away was abysmal, we were woeful! Luckily it turned out to be a great day at the final whistle!
Swansea away a few years back was dreadful, 0-0 long journey, no atmosphere woeful!

Since my first game in 96 as a 2 year old I've been to some class games!
Yet we have only won about 25% of the away days I've been!

brinner

Best away game 3-1 in the cup v Liverpool in 1998!! we were awesome that day Huckerby killed em!!

Worst away still has to be Rochdale in the cup when we lost 2-0, the result capped off a horrendous day!!

Sky Blues

A few away moments that stand out for me include Selhurst Park (everyone standing all game in the seated area to urge 'em on) and Tottenham away (truly electric atmosphere before, during and after the game) on the run where we made the great escape in '97.

One year at Portman Road (championship years I think) as the Cov support sang "Twist and Shout" heartily for about 20 minutes non-stop. You could see the players visibly rising to the support and getting a key goal at the end of it (though I'm hazy now on whether it was an equaliser or winner).

Not a lowlight, but was always fun heading to Anfield or Goodison and having some Scouse scally offer to "Mind yer car fer yer". Made me smile, though I was happy to tell 'em I arrived by train! Wonder if Tranmere would be similar?

I think I prefer watching Cov away, the atmosphere always seems to be better.

pusbccfc

Anyone remember the last minute equaliser that got ruled out at Stoke a few years back, so fecking annoying!

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Last season 2-1 loss to Palace conceding 2 in injury time is up there. As someone mentioned before, 3-0 loss to Reading being 3-0 down at HT too. As for the best... very few stand outs, 2-2 draw with QPR where Wood scored in the last 5 minutes, and Reading away in 2005 where Stern John and McSheffrey cancelled out a Les Ferdinand opener.

Sky Blues

Best: United in the cup 2007
Worst: Burnley 2005, lost 4-0, Stephen Hughes sent of after 40 minutes and it pissed it down.

This reminded me, there was a night game against the Vile at their place where it rained like someone was pouring water from buckets. Can anyone help me remember when? Hazy memory, but I suspect we lost and that it was at the end of our Premiership years. Was drenched before I got there (water slopping in your shoes, wringing shirt out kind of soaked) and was sat near the front so I never dried out. :(

Astute

This reminded me, there was a night game against the Vile at their place where it rained like someone was pouring water from buckets. Can anyone help me remember when? Hazy memory, but I suspect we lost and that it was at the end of our Premiership years. Was drenched before I got there (water slopping in your shoes, wringing shirt out kind of soaked) and was sat near the front so I never dried out. :(

Wasn't in 99. You would remember that one. Aloisi 2 and boateng 2. 1-4 at the Villa :guitar2:

worst: sheff utd fa cup, crewe 4-1

best: blackburn fa cup, united league cup, villa 4-1, spurs 2-1 to stay up and ill throw an unusual one in stockport away 1st game after relegation from premiership, great atmosphere, city support was awsome and i had hopes of a promotion season

skybluesteve76

Worst away was Sheff utd in the cup quarter final replay, think '97? Was convinced we'd win the cup again that year, absolutely devastated. Best had got to be when we first won at Villa park, and when we won 4-1 at villa park with two from Boateng and two from Aloisi! Great days. In my twentys, football and beer was my life!

skybluesteve76

Yeah I was there. Lost one nil. Staunton scored for villa I think. Terrible game. Must have been mid 90s?

LastGarrison

Man United in the Carling Cup was good, as was the two trips up to Blackburn. Also, enjoyed Torquay in the cup when I got on Match of the Day and Colchester when we won 5-1 (well the second half anyway).

Worst had to be the two times I've been to Palace. Fucking hate that place.

Johnnythespider

I remember going to the first game we were on Sky at Forest on a Monday night. That's when they used to have "artists" singing before matches. There were two little blokes with their jeans on back to front.

Could have been this pair torchy, a quality act and no mistake.
krisskross-totally.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread