Your Bad Days At A Match

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by bringbackrattles, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:29 PM.

1. bringbackrattles

bringbackrattles Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,738.01
    With Sunderland fans complaining rightly or wrongly at some of our fans behaviour on Saturday, it got me thinking about a few bad days at grounds over the years that I recall. Being ambushed away at Stoke, as they lobbed bricks and bottles at us as we made our way back to the station. Having fireworks thrown at a group of us at Birminghams ground, my mates hair got burnt ! Nearly all the Windows of our coach smashed at Leeds, the driver carried on driving regardless of us being hit by wind and rain on the way home, and stopping off at sleepy St Neots for a drink on the way to Ipswich, and having a load of crazy locals wanting to fight us, that was a dozen of us against about fifty of them. Like a scene from The League Of Gentlemen ! This is just a few crazy away days, when you thought you'd never get home in one piece. Any other incidents ?

2. usskyblue

usskyblue Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,550.57
    A Spurs fan spilled ketchup on my shirt once. The bastard was trying to rip open one of those little sachets and got all out of shape. The fucker never got banned either m8.

Unbelievable

3. Happy_Martian

Happy_Martian Active Member

Credit:
    £200.50
    Scarborough 3-0 Coventry in the 2nd leg of the old league cup. We'd won the first leg at home 2-0 so me and a couple of friends went up with high spirits for a couple of nights on the coast. You can actually see me behind the goal, my head dropping into my hands in despair as the 3rd goal trickled past Oggy's outstretched hand. Coming out of the ground, had to walk through the Scarboro crowd. I almost died...... of embarassment :D

bringbackrattles likes this.
  4. usskyblue

Credit:
    £1,550.57
    I mean, if it was a nearly empty plastic bottle of ketchup I’d understand. But a sachet... ffs.
    The clumsy six fingered tosser.

5. Malaka

Malaka Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £285.25
    Nearly got killed at our quarter final 87 at Sheffield Weds. There was easily about 30 of em of that surrounded the Sierra that I rented (400 miles on the clock) while we were in it and smashed every window and dented every panel. Bastards lost me my £50 deposit and I had to buy another ticket as my mate who I was meeting there had already gone in with mine. Fucking scary! The Willenhall massive weren't so massive that day

6. Mild-Mannered Janitor

Mild-Mannered Janitor Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams

Credit:
    £136.87
    Losing at Grimsby midweek in the cup and having coach bricked, freezing cold trip all the way back after a 3-1 loss, at least we won the return leg 3-0 after signing the salmon jumping Kevin Drinkell.

7. JimmyHillsbeard

JimmyHillsbeard Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £393.00
    In which everyone associated with scarboro seems to be called Tommy Mooney

8. westcountry_skyblue

westcountry_skyblue Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £66.53
    I was at that game,Remember Peter Atherton swearing at us while picking the ball up for a throw in.
    Mind you he was getting plenty from us!!!
    Long trip home that was!!!

9. oscillatewildly

oscillatewildly Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £268.56
    Don't get me started on Burnley away @ 2003/2004!

10. usskyblue

Credit:
    £1,550.57
    Mustard stain m8 ?

eastwoodsdustman likes this.
  11. Terry_dactyl

Terry_dactyl Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £562.00
    That would’ve been in Coleman’s time.

12. oscillatewildly

Credit:
    £268.56
    ?

13. tisza

tisza Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,020.83
    A group of 10-15 of us had the bright idea of renting a minibus for away games in 83 so we could have a bit more freedom going to away games.
    Gave up before Xmas. Every away game was some sort of trouble even though we were obvious scarfers on the lash. No idea how many minibus windows we had to replace.
    Saw plenty of nonsense late 70s and 80s.

Worst hiding was after a Chelsea away. Some F*cker squirted bleach on a new coat I'd just blown a week's wages on. I'd have been about 20 and had my own flat. My mum gave me a right bashing for blowing the cash on a coat that I then wore to football :)

14. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £3,999.12
    5-1 against the knickers stitchers. The 11.30 kick off on a Sunday, (84-85ish)

Carnage from start to finish and a shit result.

15. Magwitch

Magwitch Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,851.75
    West Ham away in league cup second leg semi. Open war fare between Cov, West Ham ICF and coppers. We did okay and that night is mentioned in one of Cass Pennants books. In those days you were arrested and put before a court immediately. I know a mean dude Cov fan put in a cell with 3 West Ham in and he hospitalised two of them in minutes.

16. oscillatewildly

Credit:
    £268.56
    So we did get a result that night then.

17. PurpleBin

PurpleBin Active Member

Credit:
    £304.96
    Was that the 5-0 when Hughes got sent off? Probably my worst ever away that. Pissed it down as well.

18. tisza

tisza Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,020.83
    Remember that one well. Game was moved after the carnage of the 1st game at Highfield Road. Don't think I've ever seen so many on the pitch fighting.

Some of theirs got in top of west stand. Kicked off when they threw beer over Julie Curtis (George's daughter). They were being thrown out when Leicester section just completely emptied onto pitch. Was kicking off for ages afterwards.
    Away game was just as mental

19. oscillatewildly

Credit:
    £268.56
    Hughes was sent off but I think we only lost 2-1?

20. clint van damme

Credit:
    £3,999.12
    It calmed down when Bobby Gould came out with a loud speaker to appeal for calm but they gave him dogs abuse so we ran at them and it all kicked off again.
    Imagine if something like that happened now?!

The fucking Mackems would have had a meltdown if they saw the stuff that was getting 'hoyed' in the away game.

21. Legia Sky Blue

Legia Sky Blue Active Member

Credit:
    £289.65
    The two I remember most were the midweek Cup Semi at West Ham in 1981. I was just turned 16, not very worldly wise & travelled by train from Rugby. They got a late winner & we left the ground thinking their fans would all be celebrating, but instead we had to run a gauntlet of flying fists and raining bottles and bricks. Got split up from my mates, but somehow made it to Euston, where it all kicked off again. God knows what would have happened if we had actually won the game!
    The second game was about 1985 at St Andrews. The train to New Street was packed with City fans but when we got off their Zulu mob was waiting & it kicked off immediately with a complete free for all. Seemed an eternity before the Police arrived on the scene, although in reality it probably wasn't that long. They then split us up and walked us to the ground with their fans the other side of a thin blue line, but still throwing bricks into our midst, and making the occasional charge . This was a time when no one wore colours, and some of our fans realised on the walk to the ground that they had actually been fighting fellow City fans in the melee at New Street, and in all the confusion.

22. oscillatewildly

Credit:
    £268.56
    Just googled match details and we lost 3-1 and Craig Hignett sent off! Could have sworn it was Stephen Hughes.

23. tisza

tisza Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,020.83
    I was about 14. That was one scary night. West Ham everywhere behind our end. Cops couldn't contain it.
    Everyone thought we going to get mullered but for some reason (not sure whether it was because it was a semi or it was West Ham) there was a large number of City I hadn't seen before there absolutely getting stuck in.
    Actually met a load of ICF a few years later when they were running the 1st raves out in Essex on some of the old airfields. Bloke called Swallow was organising them. Sure I read he owns a football club now.

24. tisza

tisza Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,020.83
    Seem to remember there being about 4 or 5 charges each time it seemed to be calming down .
    Was it 1st season of no fences and all seater? Quite a few games with fans on the pitch that 1st season and the seats getting ripped out.

25. bringbackrattles

Credit:
    £1,738.01
    West Ham have disliked us for decades. They first came to Highfield Road in the late 60's and sneaked in the covered end which later became the West End. Us kids stood at the side and saw our fans and West Ham fans steaming into each other, and the City mob forced them out. Never found out why they hated us so much ?

26. Wiseoldfool

Wiseoldfool Active Member

Credit:
    £69.88
    A West Ham fan got beat up badly by a Cov fan who was well known as a bit handy with his fists at the time The lad was in intensive care for a while,he recovered,but died a couple of years later.The lad who did it was sent down for couple of years I think.

27. rob9872

rob9872 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £4.94
    We were there I remember giving dogs abuse to the ref but dont recall any trouble. Parked at the cricket ground and so was sober and certainly didn't see anything.

Had a few scary encounters over the years but never really got involved. Had to defend ourselves a couple of times but mostly just avoided it. In fact probably had more issues with police and stewards than rival supporters.

28. PurpleBin

PurpleBin Active Member

Credit:
    £304.96
  29. the rumpo kid

the rumpo kid Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £194.03
    Charlton away this season, not one free pint on that bloody boat, gutted, game was alright though. :happy:

30. bringbackrattles

Credit:
    £1,738.01
    Yes I remember that now. I knew one of the Cov lads involved. The West Ham fan was actually a probation officer; not a hooligan just walking back to his car with friends after the match. He ended up with brain damage, and in a wheelchair. The lad I knew because of his age only got a few years for his involvement. He was remorseful later on and he died a few years ago through liver disease, but it was out of order attacking the West Ham bloke. But West Ham seemed to dislike us well before then.

31. Ashdown

Ashdown Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,193.91
    Yeah I was there.......didn't we score first, Gerry Daly ?! Is that the game a few of ours decided to go into their East Stand where the baby squad sat ?!

32. clint van damme

Credit:
    £3,999.12
    Was thinking that myself. Fences were definitely up st the time.

33. clint van damme

Credit:
    £3,999.12
    Sounds like the same game. All the 'action' was in the east stand or on the pitch.

34. Ashdown

Credit:
    £1,193.91
    Yep I did that one too and another similar Brum trip in 1983 or was that the one you meant. Never seen owt like it, the old wasteland round St Andrews was like a scene from Waterloo.

35. Ashdown

Credit:
    £1,193.91
    Went to this dross as well. Took me ages to drive up that day. Wished I hadn't bothered by half time

PurpleBin likes this.