Young City Fans (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

As a fan from the sixties to the present day I've been there through all the hooligan times of the 70's/80's and thought it had died down or it's not as bad as back then.Yet I've noticed our younger fans those aged between say 15 to 20 seem well up for some aggro on matchdays especially this season.I talked on Saturday to a group of them outside the pub as a few were too young to go inside and they were bragging about attacking some Walsall fans.Could it be they are so bored at watching crap football and starved of success that they compensate by having a punch up instead ?

pusbccfc

I've noticed a few on twitter and Facebook looking 'up for it'. I'm sure every club has their own sets like this.

torchomatic

What a load of nonsense. Are you blaming Pressley or is it SISU for football violence? FFS, there have always been wankers like that around and their always will be.

As a fan from the sixties to the present day I've been there through all the hooligan times of the 70's/80's and thought it had died down or it's not as bad as back then.Yet I've noticed our younger fans those aged between say 15 to 20 seem well up for some aggro on matchdays especially this season.I talked on Saturday to a group of them outside the pub as a few were too young to go inside and they were bragging about attacking some Walsall fans.Could it be they are so bored at watching crap football and starved of success that they compensate by having a punch up instead ?

bringbackrattles

What a load of nonsense. Are you blaming Pressley or is it SISU for football violence? FFS, there have always been wankers like that around and their always will be.
Fair comment as when I was their age I too was up for a scrap as it went with the territory back then.I did ask them though why they did it and they all said why not !

Buster

Why is it that ,when someone posts on here of his many seasons supporting the sky blues ,and comments on what he has seen develop recently,someone comes on and rubbishes it as a load of nonsense ?As a supporter of the same generation as rattles i have seen the same drift towards the old days . Only slightly , but its there. What has SISU got to do with his comments ? Has it suddenly dawned on you the reason for the shit football?

bringbackrattles

Christ Rattles ,you back tracked there and here was me sticking up for you
Sorry Buster but I remembered what I was like back in the West End days after posting the thread and it was a case of fight or flight !
But the football on offer now is the worst that I've watched for many years and I reckon that if I was twenty years younger I'd probably join them, only joking !

LB87ccfc

We have had a small element for a few years now... Rattles are you on about the very VERY young lads who where outside one premises drinking when they looked distinctively underage, and were then all lined up near tesco pre match by OB with cameras in their faces.

Oh and just for the record, it definately still goes on, the lower leagues are getting alot worse, you just don't here about it as like the 70/80s.

bringbackrattles

We have had a small element for a few years now... Rattles are you on about the very VERY young lads who where outside one premises drinking when they looked distinctively underage, and were then all lined up near tesco pre match by OB with cameras in their faces.

Oh and just for the record, it definately still goes on, the lower leagues are getting alot worse, you just don't here about it as like the 70/80s.
They hang about the Wheatsheaf before and after games but the gaffer has a go at them as they're underage etc.Your right about lower leagues as they have loads of trouble maybe because they haven't the police or stewards like bigger clubs,and poor or no CCTV.

covcity4life

broken britain

back in my day (the eighties!) my neighbour was allowed to hit me if i was being naughty.

nowadays kids swear in front of their parents as a minimum! it just aint right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LB87ccfc

They hang about the Wheatsheaf before and after games but the gaffer has a go at them as they're underage etc.Your right about lower leagues as they have loads of trouble maybe because they haven't the police or stewards like bigger clubs,and poor or no CCTV.

Yes the same ones I was on about then. Them lads have only just started hanging outside the wheatsheaf though, but were all lined up near Tesco by OB and made to speak to the camera saturday pre match when I went by.. bit over the top mind you.

Trouble still goes on in all divisions from the likes of Man City to the likes off Bury, or even lower with the likes of Chester and Chorley to name a few. Still goes on just it's not publicized.

Noggin

broken britain

back in my day (the eighties!) my neighbour was allowed to hit me if i was being naughty.

nowadays kids swear in front of their parents as a minimum! it just aint right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neighbours weren't allowed to hit naughty kids in the 80's and nore are kids now any worse than they were then.

covcity4life

neighbours weren't allowed to hit naughty kids in the 80's and nore are kids now any worse than they were then.

my parents allowed it is what i mean.

not that they did really ,more punishments like clean the garage and stuff. but they were given authority by parents is the point.

nowadays parents believe their kids can do no wrong and its led to chav britian

and yes it worse now.

Noggin

my parents allowed it is what i mean.

not that they did really ,more punishments like clean the garage and stuff. but they were given authority by parents is the point.

nowadays parents believe their kids can do no wrong and its led to chav britian

and yes it worse now.

sure but they could now exactly the same if they wanted too. It wouldn't be legal but then it wasn't legal then either.

I was an 80's kid and kids then were just as much trouble as they are now, just as disrespectful, just as self centered. There were just as many parents who thought the sun shined out of their kids ass and spoiled them and thought they could do no wrong.

It really is not worse now if anything it's probably alot better, of course anecdotes aren't evidence but I've lived in the same house my entire life and for the first half of it were broken into 3 or 4 times and the car stolen 3 times, bikes stolen from the shed twice, cars broken into and the radio stolen twice. None of these things has happened in the second half of my life. Of course alot of this is just because there are alot less kids around here then there were back then, but kids were absolutely just as bad and good as they are now. I'm not going to look up crime stats but I bet things like burglary, vandalism, joyriding, car theft, breaking into cars etc has all fallen significantly since the 80s.

Nick

Administrator

The difference today is that it is probably 10-15 of them against 1 Walsall fan.

I still remember that day they were all giving it loads to a bus and a couple of old boys got off and they shit themselves. The same as the "come on then" while walking backwards against Millwall and then running as soon as anybody looked at them.

Love how the club get the blame for it, they are just bellends.

LB87ccfc

The difference today is that it is probably 10-15 of them against 1 Walsall fan.

I still remember that day they were all giving it loads to a bus and a couple of old boys got off and they shit themselves. The same as the "come on then" while walking backwards against Millwall and then running as soon as anybody looked at them.

Make no mistake walsall have had a young contingent for a couple of years now, however the group outside the pub on saturday would not scare a poodle never mind another set of hooligans, iv had bigger shits than them.

However Nick point taken, but I have also seen the City dish it out good and proper over the years when it's been "game on" shall we say.

Nick

Administrator
Make no mistake walsall have had a young contingent for a couple of years now, however the group outside the pub on saturday would not scare a poodle never mind another set of hooligans, iv had bigger shits than them.

However Nick point taken, but I have also seen the City dish it out good and proper over the years when it's been "game on" shall we say.

No I don't doubt that, but the younger ones I have seen probably did give somebody a slap. Just it was a fair few against 1, while he wasn't looking.

The Gentleman

No I don't doubt that, but the younger ones I have seen probably did give somebody a slap. Just it was a fair few against 1, while he wasn't looking.

And you know this for a fact because that is what young Cov kids do, is it? You get it everywhere and have done for years and as long as kids have nothing better to do or entertain themselves then they are drawn to this.

It does make me laugh though how people always say those little kids like they should be big hardmen. All the so called big lads were spotty teenagers once doing this so what do you expect.

bringbackrattles

When you're young your full of hormones and easily influenced and if in a gang don't like losing face.I used to fight and both my sons have done their fair share too,but you grow out of it when you realise how futile it really is.Young blokes and women join the forces to fight and have done throughout history so no surprise we act macho growing up !

Malaka

City fans have always been up or a row. A few years ago it kicked off in Earlsdon against Leicester and it wasn't just kids. Kids are more into technology today, drugs and shagging. I know have have worked with then for 24 years. It was burglaries and TWOC ing when I first started working with them, now the kids really don't seem to care much about anything. Most of their problems are down to the 'no' word. Some have no concept about working for anything they wasn't it all and wasn't it now.
Back to the post I don't think it is a fraction of what it was in the 70s and 80s, It was grown men doing it and I bet it was a good few of you on here

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

City fans have always been up or a row. A few years ago it kicked off in Earlsdon against Leicester and it wasn't just kids. Kids are more into technology today, drugs and shagging. I know have have worked with then for 24 years. It was burglaries and TWOC ing when I first started working with them, now the kids really don't seem to care much about anything. Most of their problems are down to the 'no' word. Some have no concept about working for anything they wasn't it all and wasn't it now.
Back to the post I don't think it is a fraction of what it was in the 70s and 80s, It was grown men doing it and I bet it was a good few of you on here
I got involved in it and I reckon you're right there are a few on here who did too. We played West Ham a few seasons ago and a group of there fans were swinging punches at our fans coming out of the Ricoh at the end of the game,and they were well in their fifties !

skybluefred

I can't remember it happening before Nick but i agree with you on this.

Nick

Administrator
I got involved in it and I reckon you're right there are a few on here who did too. We played West Ham a few seasons ago and a group of there fans were swinging punches at our fans coming out of the Ricoh at the end of the game,and they were well in their fifties !

Whenever I have seen anything actually happen it has always been the older gentlemen! The younger ones seem more football factory.

The Gentleman

Whenever I have seen anything actually happen it has always been the older gentlemen! The younger ones seem more football factory.

Malaka mentioned the 'Earlsdon incident' and if you look at the ages of the Cov lads who were nicked you'll find that the large majority were young or very young.The Leicester lads were a lot older and despite outnumbering the Cov lads more than 3 to 1, they couldn't shift the younger Cov ones.

WillieStanley

The thing is, during the 90s and 00s there was a combination of violence being controlled better and there was more social mobility. Over the past four years, social mobility has been on the decline and services, including the police have had resources reduced and demands increased. There was less anger as my generation, born in the 80s had been raised as consumerists, with quite a fair bit of stuff we were consuming, including education and work being attainable. The generations younger than me are still being sold to day in day out everywhere they look, but the stuff they being sold is out of reach, including that degree, that job. This leads to frustration and anger. A gathering of a tribal nature provides a fantastic opportunity to vent that frustration and anger, especially when you support a team like Coventry in a time like this. It's no surprise that as we slip further back into the 70s and 80s socially, violence at football increases.

Of course then you will always get the idiots that are big and hard and want you to know it. They're minority though.

The Gentleman

The thing is, during the 90s and 00s there was a combination of violence being controlled better and there was more social mobility. Over the past four years, social mobility has been on the decline and services, including the police have had resources reduced and demands increased. There was less anger as my generation, born in the 80s had been raised as consumerists, with quite a fair bit of stuff we were consuming, including education and work being attainable. The generations younger than me are still being sold to day in day out everywhere they look, but the stuff they being sold is out of reach, including that degree, that job. This leads to frustration and anger. A gathering of a tribal nature provides a fantastic opportunity to vent that frustration and anger, especially when you support a team like Coventry in a time like this. It's no surprise that as we slip further back into the 70s and 80s socially, violence at football increases.

Of course then you will always get the idiots that are big and hard and want you to know it. They're minority though.

The 90's and 00's were some of Coventry's most violent and organised football times. Yes, back in the 70's and 80's it was it was open season but lots of so called firms were as active in the 90's as they were back in the so called hey day and 'firms' were a lot bigger in the 90's and 00's than they are now with a mix of young and old, whereas today it is mainly young ones as the older lads realise how daft it all is. You can point to social issues coming back to play a part but it is more a case of the seed being sown a long time ago.

Astute

The 90's and 00's were some of Coventry's most violent and organised football times. Yes, back in the 70's and 80's it was it was open season but lots of so called firms were as active in the 90's as they were back in the so called hey day and 'firms' were a lot bigger in the 90's and 00's than they are now with a mix of young and old, whereas today it is mainly young ones as the older lads realise how daft it all is. You can point to social issues coming back to play a part but it is more a case of the seed being sown a long time ago.

I was too young for the 70's. But was there for the 80's. And it had certainly calmed down by the 90's.

We had the youth them days. They would cause the trouble and then run. Then they would let each other know how brave they are. It got so bad in the 80's that we were top flight and getting gates that we get now in Division 3. It took a few bad times in football for violence to slow down. CCTV and prison sentences have helped keep it down. It got to the stage that you knew at certain away games you would struggle to get to the ground in one piece. And if we won........ The best chance of no violence after a game was if it was a draw and pissing it down with rain.

Yes it still happens. But it is more organised and is kept away from the public areas where there is CCTV. And if it has to happen this is the way it should be. Not bringing innocent people into it. Not wrecking places in the name of football. Some on here say that they don't like rugger. And this is an understatement with our predicament. But the match day experience is so much better. All fans drink together before the game. They sit together during the game and have a drink together. They have a drink after the game and enjoy the banter. Yes I was a twat at times in the 80's. But it was all about looking after each other and pride in where you came from. But if I would have watched rugger then it would have been so different. I do the occasional game now with our local club. It is a great day out. The only thing that ruins the day is the game itself :)

The 90's & 00's were very lively following the City and something seemed to happen every week. There was an organised hardcore who travelled in good numbers for big games and I don't recall seeing or hearing them come off worst very often.
It seemed quieter to some people as the days of running battles outside grounds or 'taking of ends' were over. As the police got better organised, so did the lads. Meets were staged by mobile phones, away from prying eyes where possible and travel was planned to avoid being detected.
Whilst there are young, working class men, there'll be young lads meeting at football games for disorder.

dadgad

Why is it that ,when someone posts on here of his many seasons supporting the sky blues ,and comments on what he has seen develop recently,someone comes on and rubbishes it as a load of nonsense ?As a supporter of the same generation as rattles i have seen the same drift towards the old days . Only slightly , but its there. What has SISU got to do with his comments ? Has it suddenly dawned on you the reason for the shit football?

Some people are just not ready for the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread