Yoga (1 Viewer)

Terry_dactyl

Recently had an X-ray which revealed what I’d feared for a while, I’ve got early onset arthritis in both hips. I’ve played a lot of football over the years (still playing 3 or 4 times a week) and thought this might mark the end of it.
Been to see a chiropractor* who put my fears at ease a little but I’ve decided to try and cut back on the amount I play, and try a bit of yoga to help.
I wish I’d discovered it years ago. It’s the best stretching exercises I’ve ever done. Makes me feel fantastic afterwards…which lasts a few days. I can’t recommend it enough. So here we are…

I’m also completely useless at it. I have no balance and my ‘downward dog’ is rubbish!

*a physio I play football with has warned me off seeing chiropractors. Said that they will just keep taking my money. Who knows?

Seaside-Skyblue

Fair play! Sorry to hear about the arthritis btw but I'm a big advocate for yoga, mother does it and she's in her 70s (I don't know your age!) and goes to classes where there are many people of similar ages. Seems to be doing them the world of good and keeps the body ticking over - regardless of age. I believe a lot of football clubs now hold sessions for players nowadays. Glad it's helping you too, enjoy :)

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

Fair play! Sorry to hear about the arthritis btw but I'm a big advocate for yoga, mother does it and she's in her 70s (I don't know your age!) and goes to classes where there are many people of similar ages. Seems to be doing them the world of good and keeps the body ticking over - regardless of age. I believe a lot of football clubs now hold sessions for players nowadays. Glad it's helping you too, enjoy :)

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I’m 45. I’ve only been doing it online but might start a class in the new year if I can summon the courage.
Ive only been doing it for 15-30 minute stints a few times a week. My better half does all that Joe Wicks stuff and the woman who does it online is something to do with him.
None of the ‘mystical’ stuff is always associated with it. Just stretching parts of the body I didn’t know were possible to stretch!

shmmeee

Recently had an X-ray which revealed what I’d feared for a while, I’ve got early onset arthritis in both hips. I’ve played a lot of football over the years (still playing 3 or 4 times a week) and thought this might mark the end of it.
Been to see a chiropractor* who put my fears at ease a little but I’ve decided to try and cut back on the amount I play, and try a bit of yoga to help.
I wish I’d discovered it years ago. It’s the best stretching exercises I’ve ever done. Makes me feel fantastic afterwards…which lasts a few days. I can’t recommend it enough. So here we are…

I’m also completely useless at it. I have no balance and my ‘downward dog’ is rubbish!

*a physio I play football with has warned me off seeing chiropractors. Said that they will just keep taking my money. Who knows?

Chiropractors are scam artists and can be dangerous just FYI.

I’d like to start yoga, anyone got any good places to start and is it easy enough to do it properly from a video?

clint van damme

Chiropractors are scam artists and can be dangerous just FYI.

I’d like to start yoga, anyone got any good places to start and is it easy enough to do it properly from a video?

I've got an XXL leotard for sale

Sick Boy

Boxing training? Do you have to actually fight people? Always fancied the training but don’t like getting hit in the face.
No boxing gym will make you spar with others if you don’t want to and it’s probably the best workout. I’d suggest giving sparring a go though, it’s not like a proper fight.

skybluegod

It’s on the Body Coach App. £60 for the year apparently.
Tbh I reckon there’ll be loads of free YouTube vids.

There is an app on the phone called down dog which is a fair bit cheaper and is fantastic and you can customise the type of yoga you want to focus on certain areas of your body (ie hips!) And also the type of yoga such as deep stretching etc.

Might be worth a look.

RegTheDonk

Sorry to hear about that Terry, it does take a bit to push yourself out of your comfort zone but I would encourage going to a local class. Perhaps your local surgery have a list of approved providers? I'm a good advocate for video based learning but in a live setting you can ask questions, get feedback on how you're doing and most importantly, get a professional to instruct you. It's your health at the end of the day so take that leap. Good luck mate.

Terry_dactyl

Sorry to hear about that Terry, it does take a bit to push yourself out of your comfort zone but I would encourage going to a local class. Perhaps your local surgery have a list of approved providers? I'm a good advocate for video based learning but in a live setting you can ask questions, get feedback on how you're doing and most importantly, get a professional to instruct you. It's your health at the end of the day so take that leap. Good luck mate.
Nice one Reg. You’re right of course mate. I reckon I’ll try and give it a go…there’s a place just round the corner from me I can try.

bezzer

@Terry_dactyl Chiropractors are thieving, scamming bastards. You're much better of seeing a Physio or an Osteopath.

Yoga is great for arthritis. I suffer from it and do Physio led Pilates.

However, great to hear Yoga works for you 👍

Terry_dactyl

@Terry_dactyl Chiropractors are thieving, scamming bastards. You're much better of seeing a Physio or an Osteopath.

Yoga is great for arthritis. I suffer from it and do Physio led Pilates.

However, great to hear Yoga works for you 👍
That’s really good to hear and echoes what @shmmeee was saying and the physio I know.
Pilates has also been mentioned to me. Is it more or less the same as Yoga?

Thanks for all the guidance on this folks. I really appreciate it.

shmmeee

Tai Chi is supposed to have very similar benefits to yoga if you’d rather “old grand master” than “middle aged woman drinking wine” energy to protect your fragile masculinity 😂

Users who are viewing this thread