Wow factor signings (3 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

The lack of signings got me thinking about one's we've made in the past that had a genuine wow factor. I'm not thinking of one's that turned out to have a wow, just ones that at the time seemed to be above our station. My ones were:

Gary McCalister
Robbie Keane
Kevin Gallacher
Dennis Wise

Sky Blue Harry H

Moustafa Hadji - looked quality at the World Cup - couldn't believe a major club didn't go for him and that we snapped him up.

Great getting Speedie after the Cup final glory

Robert Jarni too :pointlaugh:

SlowerThanPlatt

Moustafa Hadji - looked quality at the World Cup - couldn't believe a major club didn't go for him and that we snapped him up.

Great getting Speedie after the Cup final glory

Robert Jarni too :pointlaugh:

I read that PSG and Lyob were in for Hadji but it was always a dream of his to play in England

Otis

Cyrille Regis.

When we got him I was jumping up and down for joy in my house for days on end.

skybluedan

The lack of signings got me thinking about one's we've made in the past that had a genuine wow factor. I'm not thinking of one's that turned out to have a wow, just ones that at the time seemed to be above our station. My ones were:

Gary McCalister
Robbie Keane
Kevin Gallacher
Dennis Wise

The wow factor? Do you watch storage wars?

rupert_bear

We haven't had that many, Robbie Keane by far the biggest, then McAllister and Hadji, unfortunately when making these signings we have never built on them in fact more often than not the opposite which eventually cost us our premiership position and has left us where we are now. As good a signing and uplift at the time Robbie Keane was in hindsight we would have been better off splitting the £6million fee across the team and brought in 3 others instead, £2million each in defence, midfield and striker rolls would have made us a lot stronger overall imo.

rupert_bear

I do think Bellamy could have been a big signing and went on to prove he was a top player unfortunately his attitude here and mismanagement by Gordon Strachan took over

SkyBlue_Bear83

I seem to remember when we signed John Fleck someone proclaimed it to be the most exciting signing since Robbie Keane or something along those lines :thinking about:

torchomatic

You know, I was the opposite. It was good that we'd signed someone I'd heard of and not from Bristol Rovers, but I did think to myself he was past it. How wrong I was.

Cyrille Regis.

torchomatic

David Thomson was a star signing for me.

Greggs

Roland Nilsson was still class when we signed him..

hill83

Marlon King.

At the time if he didn't have all his baggage there would have been no way he would have signed for us.

torchomatic

I don't think I'd seen anyone give as much effort to the cause since Lloyd McGrath. I remember a mid-week game away at Rotherham where he was having a right go at everyone on the pitch, whether they were on his side or not.

Seem to remember he wrote an excellent open letter to the club and fan's when he was sold after relegation from the premiership.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I remember being hugely excited about the signing of Colin Stein.

it got even better when the following week we signed some bloke called Hutchison.....

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Even though he was only a loanee, I was thrilled when we got Stephen Warnock here for a while. He played his socks off for us!

skybluetony176

Point of order, but he stayed for the first season after we were relegated from the Premiership. So while yes, he was sold after relegation, so was Leon Best ;)

Was he really here that long after relegation from the premiership? My memory is terrible. I didn't think he stayed until end of the first championship season

ajsccfc

Hadji is the signing that blew my mind. Almost exactly a year before I remember seeing him against Norway at the World Cup and he looked like one of the best players I'd ever seen.

stupot07

Lee Hughes? We paid a lot of money for him, was a proven goal scoring in div one, and we all thought he would fire us to promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

tisza

players like lee hughes and Eastwood had a wow factor before they came here as they had such good scoring records and we hadn't had many proven goalscorers.

hotrod

For me it was Gary Mcallister and going back a long time, Ray Pointer from Burnley an England International.

RedSalmon

Terry Yorath was the first one that I had to pinch myself over, just could not believe he would come to us.

Cyrile Regis was another. Remeber at the time being suprised that he even considered us.

Gary Macallister was the most suprising one of the lot. Had just competed in the Euros, and decided to come to Coventry. I could not believ it.

Also David Speedie, a big name at the time who could have gone anywhere.

Covstu

Gary Mac and hadji were the two for me, Roland close behind. Keane was great but was a gamble when we signed him. Ironic that wolves to cov was a step up back in the day!

SlowerThanPlatt

As he is remembered by many most fondly for his time at the Sky Blues, McAllister has informally been bestowed with the honour of having a drink named after him. A 'Gary Mac' is a Blue coloured alcopop and 140ml of Vodka, which whose pale cyan tones are reminiscent of McAllister's playing strip during his spell in the Midlands.

Never heard of that before. Anyone else?

SlowerThanPlatt

Terry Yorath was the first one that I had to pinch myself over, just could not believe he would come to us.

Cyrile Regis was another. Remeber at the time being suprised that he even considered us.

Gary Macallister was the most suprising one of the lot. Had just competed in the Euros, and decided to come to Coventry. I could not believ it.

Also David Speedie, a big name at the time who could have gone anywhere.
When we signed Palmer, Macca was at last able to play a more forward role and he began to score more goals. This should have happened way before Palmer came in.

In the season before our relegation season he was our top goalscorer, highest scoring midfielder in the Premiership and player of the year then we decided to get rid of him. He went to Liverpool and effectively relegated us when Liverpool beat us 2-0 at HR, he also was class that season for Liverpool and won the UEFA Cup for them. Maybe if we kept him we would have stayed up, who knows.

SlowerThanPlatt

Cyrille Regis.

When Cyrille had quality players around him he combined to deadly effect. He could be awesome in the box with both feet and in the air. Despite that, he wasn't that much of a prolific scorer with us which says as much about the teams he played in, as it does about him.

kg82

Hadji is the signing that blew my mind. Almost exactly a year before I remember seeing him against Norway at the World Cup and he looked like one of the best players I'd ever seen.

Ah yes, that was the Eggen Chippo match!

M&B Stand

Kevin Gallacher. Remember him being kicked to fuck by Stuart Pearce at the City Ground in his early days and thinking he was a proper player.

Was totally gutted when he was sold. I should've had counselling cuz I've never really got over it.

Samo

When Cyrille had quality players around him he combined to deadly effect. He could be awesome in the box with both feet and in the air. Despite that, he wasn't that much of a prolific scorer with us which says as much about the teams he played in, as it does about him.

He wasn't prolific anywhere was he?

Users who are viewing this thread