Would you sell him for £10m (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Why wouldn't he be loaned back?
Do you believe he would get into their squads as he is?

Tbf They might want to have a proper look at him in their development squad and play some U21's games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

I would try and hold on for a bit longer.
After all we were too quick selling callum Wilson to the first buyer to come along. I believe should have gone for at least double the amount we got.
Also Imagine him in today's team wow that would have been something for sore eyes.
PUSB
Callum Wilson was already a regular starter in our team though and a key member of our squad. Not going to be quite the same with Maddison, as he has only played 16 times in total for us.

rupert_bear

The trouble you have though is a move to any premiership club let alone a big boy on a 4 year contract a player becomes a multi-millionaire how can any 18 year old turn that down, made for life and hasn't started living yet.

Specs WT-R75

The trouble you have though is a move to any premiership club let alone a big boy on a 4 year contract a player becomes a multi-millionaire how can any 18 year old turn that down, made for life and hasn't started living yet.

You say "made for life" but how many footballers end up bankrupt after they finish playing these days...

Specs WT-R75

I guess it's wishful thinking to hope for a large up-front fee, loan-back clauses etc, but despite everyone acknowledging that his development would be hampered by languishing in a top flight reserves team, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Personally, there's no better training and development program than playing matches and evolving via a game environment. If Madders does leave, I hope it's for a £5mil-ish fee, with a loan-back clause for at least 18 months. Whether it transpires that way, I don't know.

I just hope SISU don't flap and accept the first bid on the table, like you highlighted. We'd easily start a bidding war if the board are patient.

Exactly this.

1. He has a 3 yr contract.
2. We have done "okay" without him since the injury at Walsall, so if he were to go sulking for a month or two it wouldn't be the end of the world.
3. If we get promoted we can offer him improved terms in the Championship that is in both our interests.
4. If we genuinely are running break-even then we don't have to sell him. We can hold out, and we should hold out.

10m with sell-on clause and loan back... we would be crazy to turn down that sort of money.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Does anybody here not lean anything from the past? It doesn't matter if we sold Maddison for £5mill, £10mill or £20mill, we wouldn't see a penny of it eitherway and it would go straight back into SISU's pocket. Of the Wilson money, not one extra penny went towards the team and we had to put up with Nouble and Jackson.
We should keep Maddison, as we won't see a penny if he goes. Joy and Tim will have a couple more carribean cruises, but no other prick will benefit from him being sold.

Nick

Administrator
Does anybody here not lean anything from the past? It doesn't matter if we sold Maddison for £5mill, £10mill or £20mill, we wouldn't see a penny of it eitherway and it would go straight back into SISU's pocket. Of the Wilson money, not one extra penny went towards the team and we had to put up with Nouble and Jackson.
We should keep Maddison, as we won't see a penny if he goes. Joy and Tim will have a couple more carribean cruises, but no other prick will benefit from him being sold.
How much went into sisus back pocket in the past from players?

Grendel

Nouble was on £20,000 a week at Ipswich.

All the Wilson money went towards funding the club.

Stop talking bollocks,

martcov

When Wilson went we were deeper in the mire than now. We are pulling in more people and should at least be covering running costs. We are in with a chance of promotion. We have a manager who has up til now been sensible with player recruiting. We have a sensible person running the club. SISU would be brain dead if they didn't put at least a decent part into the squad. If you are judging Joy and Tim's finances on SISU's investment in CCFC, it will take an army of Maddison's before they can afford a cross channel ferry trip to Calais.

Johnnythespider

I would tell them to bog off until the summer and then come back with 10 million and a year loan back, then we could concentrate on getting promoted without any distractions.

shmmeee

Stop talking bollocks,

Thats not the problem, it was where the money was spent. It's hard to argue we became a better squad post Wilson. We have to ensure the same doesn't happen again. Of course Sisu aren't lining their pockets from transfers, but it doesn't mean it was well spent.

Grendel

I would tell them to bog off until the summer and then come back with 10 million and a year loan back, then we could concentrate on getting promoted without any distractions.

Unless of course he gets a serious injury and then his value collapses.

skybluetony176

Stop talking bollocks,

You mean went to funding the losses incurred from the SISU imposed exile to Northampton. Losses by the way we were told would be covered by SISU and it's investors.

Gazolba

I'd sell him if the proceeds would allow us to sign (not loan) someone better.

stupot07

You mean went to funding the losses incurred from the SISU imposed exile to Northampton. Losses by the way we were told would be covered by SISU and it's investors.
We lost £7m the season before whilst playing at the Ricoh, so I don't believe sixfields came into it. We've been making losses for years and selling players to help fund operating losses/costs for as long as I can remember.

skybluetony176

We lost £7m the season before whilst playing at the Ricoh, so I don't believe sixfields came into it. We've been making losses for years and selling players to help fund operating losses/costs for as long as I can remember.

We lost millions the season before because of an astronomical wage bill from the championship while playing in league one.

stupot07

We lost millions the season before because of an astronomical wage bill from the championship while playing in league one.

And we would have made big losses had we never gone to sixfields, and we'd still have sold Wilson to help fund losses

Last edited:

skybluetony176

And we would have made big losses had we never gone to sixfields, and we'd still have sold Wilson to help fund losses

I doubt that they'd have been anywhere near as big. We we're playing good football for the first half of the Sixfields season, crowds could have been comparable to what we're currently experiencing (maybe bigger, NOPM would never have been mentioned if we'd stayed at the Ricoh), our wage bill had been slashed courtesy of the bomb squad and the rental agreement had been broke so we were never going to be paying what we did previously either.

Yes we may have still made losses but this season proves that to be unlikely and even if we did it wouldn't have been anywhere near the losses incurred at Sixfields I don't know why people would try to pretend otherwise. Sixfields was a disaster for the club in everyway but especially financially.

The Clarke, Wilson and Arsenal money was swallowed up by Sixfields and IIRC SISU still had to put equity in to cover the loses. You do the maths but I recon it has to be somewhere near the previous seasons losses even without the huge wage bill, I'd say rent too but I guess we never payed any given that we were on rent strike

SkyBlueZack

How much does cat a academy status cost? I get the point about reinvestment but if we got 10 million and it all got put in the academy and infrastructure of the club I'd be just as happy

stupot07

I doubt that they'd have been anywhere near as big. We we're playing good football for the first half of the Sixfields season, crowds could have been comparable to what we're currently experiencing (maybe bigger, NOPM would never have been mentioned if we'd stayed at the Ricoh), our wage bill had been slashed courtesy of the bomb squad and the rental agreement had been broke so we were never going to be paying what we did previously either.

Yes we may have still made losses but this season proves that to be unlikely and even if we did it wouldn't have been anywhere near the losses incurred at Sixfields I don't know why people would try to pretend otherwise. Sixfields was a disaster for the club in everyway but especially financially.

The Clarke, Wilson and Arsenal money was swallowed up by Sixfields and IIRC SISU still had to put equity in to cover the loses. You do the maths but I recon it has to be somewhere near the previous seasons losses even without the huge wage bill, I'd say rent too but I guess we never payed any given that we were on rent strike

turnover was down by £2.8m to £3.75, losses up to £7.1m to £8.5m. Had we stayed at at the Ricoh we'd have still have made £5.5-6m losses had we stayed. We would have still sold Wilson. Don't forget that season before sixfields we'd sold keogh and bigi, got promotion. payments for turner and gunnarsoson, and compensation for robins leaving plus 2x big cup ties - Arsenal no Tottenham. Ticket prices were more expensive too.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/54673-commentary-on-SBS-amp-L-group-2014-accounts

i'm not trying to stick up for sisu, I'm saying they would have sold him for that price regardless of sixfields as we would have been making big losses anyway. To blame it on sixfields is a red herring

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Northampton was shit, we can all agree on that. SISU are shit, we can all agree on that. But thank fuck we are not paying £1.2m rent plus operating costs with no revenue. £100k rent worth no operating costs and some revenue means we can actually run without making a loss for the first time I can remember.

Wilson would have been sold Northampton or not because we were financially fucked. Maddison will more than likely be sold sooner rather than later but at least we're now in a position to name a price and hold our ground.

Can we not stop bickering for five minutes and actually see that we're now in a reasonably positive position, if Maddison goes we should get a really good price and if he stays we have a great young homegrown prospect on the books.

SkyBlueZack

Personally I'd like us to keep him. Of course it depends on promotion this season. I would tell all enquiries to clear off until summer as the player is settled playing and developing. We as a club have a promotion challenge and are not welcoming any offers. If come the end of season we're in the championship our position is strengthened. He gets new contract. If he then performs in the championship we're talking silly money.

Paxman II

I can assure you a Caribbean cruise is only $499 so not sure on your argument there ):

Squarks

Need to remember that now Joy's council on any kind deal will be Chris Anderson and Mogga instead of Waggot and Pressley and therefore any comparisons on past deals are a bit ridiculous.
Would they have accepted £3m, Coulibaly, McQuoid and Allsop for Wilson? Pretty sure they would have come away with a much better deal in terms of progressing the squad and so I'm sure if #JM10 does go then we'll do ok out of it.

Oz Howie

The right way for Joy to look at this is to compare the increase in Madders value over the next 2/3 years to whatever other investment return she thinks she can get. Whether that be from successfully suing the Council or even selling the club. Personally Madders is a gold mine for us and barring a catastrophic injury his value will soar into the many many millions. We need to keep him!

Gazolba

Selling sends out the wrong message......Simple.

It's a bit late for that. We've already sent out the message load and clear that we are a selling club.

Gazolba

I can assure you a Caribbean cruise is only $499 so not sure on your argument there ):

I'm sure Joy only travels first class. She wont be cruising with the common people.

Users who are viewing this thread