Would you change your job for more money? (1 Viewer)

1ccfc

I’m just trying to put myself in Marlon’s position, and to be honest if someone offered me more money for the same job then it would be hard to refuse. I’m guessing that we are nowhere near the reported £15k mark and only offered a 2 year deal as apposed to Birmingham’s 3 year deal.

We are all thinking from the heart as Coventry fans, but if you were to consider it from the head then maybe you can’t blame him, even if he did verbally agree (which we don’t know if he did).

Signing Marlon was always going to be a risk, but maybe we should have given him a 2 year deal at the start or moved sooner to re-sign him!

covladzak

If he goes thanks and goodbye... If he stays good... I don't have the power to sway it either way, so I don't really worry about it..

brinner

is a no brainer really, pay rise, better chance of promotion and a couple of gallavants in to europe whilst doing the same job.

what annoys me is the fact he rang thorn and said what he said then a few days later he is going against his word.

im fucked off with the club tho more than anything, made themselves look a bunch of clueless clowns totally pissed the fans off with this fiasco and what little faith i had in them is now completely up in smoke! new board of directors same old bullshit.

pusbccfc

I would change my job for money, but this is him going from around 9-10,000 to 15,000 a week! i wouldn't changed at that sort of money

Firstly imo :

1. If there could ever be any loyalty above money then this should have been the case (what we did for him where he had came from = some degree of loyalty)
  2. Everyone that says " oh and you wouldnt do the same for more money" yes I would and my old boss would probably call me a wanker for it so i'll be caling him a wanker also when I see him at Birmingham away

hackneyfox

I would change my job for money, but this is him going from around 9-10,000 to 15,000 a week! i wouldn't changed at that sort of money

Really, he'll earn 1 million with you or 2.25 million with them, when you're at the end of your career and have absolutely no future employment chances and a family you'd be daft not to make the move.

Did he really phone Thorn and say he'd sign, I don't think he did, that's just an opinion but his agent wouldn't have told him to do it.

pusbccfc

Really, he'll earn 1 million with you or 2.25 million with them, when you're at the end of your career and have absolutely no future employment chances and a family you'd be daft not to make the move.

Did he really phone Thorn and say he'd sign, I don't think he did, that's just an opinion but his agent wouldn't have told him to do it.
hes earning a million pound! most people dont earn that in there lifetime.

ajsccfc

yeah but with that sort of money i wouldnt

I think it's a lot easier to say that for us as such figures seem astronomical (I'd be alright with just a month of his wages after all), but if you're footballer who's accustomed to earning more it'd be a different story.

CovLis86

Im trying to keep quiet about all this, because i hate admitting that i feel torn apart by Coventry City FC yet again.

I think this is only a disgrace if Marlon phoned Andy and said he will definitely be signing the terms agreed. I don't see why AT would make that phonecall up, so if it is the case i think Marlon is a disgrace, days after he says he couldnt play for anyone else he jumps ship, but not only that, to our local rivals.

IF he goes (99% sure), Big Ben is going to destroy him.

gouldberg

This reminds me of a post I did in another thread recently:

The Telegraph have done some really shoddy bits of reporting on CCFC in recent times. I'm not sure why they see the need to create a full page story on the club every single day. If there's no real news, don't try to publish anything. Just keep it quiet, give the paper space to an up and coming sport that could get some interest and move on.

With regards to agents, I think we all have to come to terms with the fact that football is now a business. Money talks and no matter who you are, if you are advised by someone with knowledge of the area you work in that you could earn more or get a better deal, you will stop to consider it before committing yourself to something that may in the long run not be as lucrative. Would you rather collect bins in one street for £5 an hour and be classed as a loyal binman, or would you jump ship to another section, maybe in another city, that offers £8 an hour. Think rationally here, footballers are doing a job, and a pay rise is a pay rise, we all would take it!

I also have to say that I think CCFC in particular have in recent times shown there is no room for loyalty in the game now. Look at how we treated Marcus Hall, and what about Leon McKenzie. Hall wanted to stay, and at a time when we had no real left-back we still hoofed him at. With McKenzie, we offered him a 6 month deal worth a certain amount, he said he wanted a 1 year deal on half the money (so he would earn exactly the same amount) and we showed him the door too! Who cares where they are now, whilst they were at the club, in their later days we treated them like dirt. If we show that sort of respect to the players, why should they jump whenever we tell them to? It's a 2 way street, and our club has in the past let players down, so the players are well within their right to step back and analyse the situation before showing loyalty that they may not get back.

Why should King show loyalty when to be fair, we have never shown it back to other Coventry players. Seems to be a lot like the Westwood and Gunnar....and come to think of it Fox deals, where we left it far too late to give them the contracts. Almost shows that we only want to offer deals when we have to, as opposed to when the player deserves it.

I don't think anyone would sit back and carry on in a job where they earn less when an opportunity to earn more arises, regardless of what you are currently on. The only case I can think of is a pair of NBA players called Mike Miller and Mike Bibby who went to the Miami Heat on much less than they could earn purely because the team they were joining are the best in the League. To put it simply, they moved to win every week, plus gain revenue in endorsements. Kings chances of that are higher at Birmingham than here at Coventry.

I'm afraid we ourselves are one of the prime example of showing no loyalty in football (McKenzie and Hall, see my above quoted post) so why should somebody show it back, regardless of their history. I'm a bit annoyed King is off to someone else, but it's not King I hold the grudge with, it's that board coming into it again I'm afraid.

I’m just trying to put myself in Marlon’s position, and to be honest if someone offered me more money for the same job then it would be hard to refuse. I’m guessing that we are nowhere near the reported £15k mark and only offered a 2 year deal as apposed to Birmingham’s 3 year deal.

We are all thinking from the heart as Coventry fans, but if you were to consider it from the head then maybe you can’t blame him, even if he did verbally agree (which we don’t know if he did).

Signing Marlon was always going to be a risk, but maybe we should have given him a 2 year deal at the start or moved sooner to re-sign him!

According to L Brody on twitter, Marlon was offered a 3 year deal!

skybluesteve76

You are really showing yourself up now with your lack of knowledge. Please go away you dirty little rodent. You can't possibly comment when you don't care about the subject.
Admin please remove this imposter :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Moving from a 30k p/y job to a 40-45k p/y job is different to the normal person as that extra money will make a huge difference to that persons lifestyle and influence a persons life hugely
Moving from 10 p/w to 15k p/w is not so much difference as at 10k p/w you can still afford everything you want. That extra 5k p/w will not make a huge difference to a persons quality of life.
So any move for more money from a footballer is really more greed than anything else

I think that's what pusbccfc was trying to get across

hackneyfox

He won't earn again in his life, he needs as nuch as he can get now or he'll be doing time for nicking cars again.

Marty

Moving from a 30k p/y job to a 40-45k p/y job is different to the normal person as that extra money will make a huge difference to that persons lifestyle and influence a persons life hugely
Moving from 10 p/w to 15k p/w is not so much difference as at 10k p/w you can still afford everything you want. That extra 5k p/w will not make a huge difference to a persons quality of life.
So any move for more money from a footballer is really more greed than anything else

I think that's what pusbccfc was trying to get across

I completely agree with that and said pritty much the same in another thread. If I was King i would move to the blues but it would be purely down to footballing reasons. Once you retire from football and all you have to show for it is a nice house and a flash car, to me it would seem like a waste of a career, I would want trophies and medals coming out of my ears if I was good enough to be a pro, to me thats what football is all about, leaving a a good mark on the game.

hackneyfox

You are really showing yourself up now with your lack of knowledge. Please go away you dirty little rodent. You can't possibly comment when you don't care about the subject.

Explain my lack of knowledge.

And as for the last statement that is just ridiculous, you are hysterical over this so perhaps I can actually post while still engaging brain.

The idea that you have to care about a subject to be able to comment on it may well say a lot about you.

Coventry La La La

Hes not an impostor hes called HackneyFox for a reason and isn't pretending to be a Coventry fan if you have had enough of him just go onto his profile and add him to you're ignore list simples.

hackneyfox

So many people making statements based on their hopes rather than reality.

If you won the lottery next week would you only take 1 million of it?
Or 1.5 million if you offered him 3 years, and that seems like a big IF as your board don't seem very trustworthy.

Paxman II

IF the story is correct for once then yes £15k compared to £10k is a large difference for a 31 year old.
Whether Brum (who are set to lose their top players) are a better bet for promotion than us under Alex McLeish is however debatable.

What CCFC must do in the light of this and if true, is publish what they did offer him so the comparison can be made.

Frankly if they did their homework they would have offered him a deal and contract that paid much better on his performances and therefore been a closer reflection to what Brum are offering. Bonuses based on goals scored, wins etc. Only then can we accuse King of disloyalty when we can see the facts of City's offer. If the facts show something close to Brums then we can all draw our conclusions.

As I said before on another post the player himself has to have faith in his ability to do well and get picked up later in the transfer market with a release clause. If he ends up at Brum on a 3 year deal it will suggest he is moving for the cash alone and he has failed to see where his loyalty should be to CCFC and I must add his family as they will have to relive a lot of the abuse again that he had so quelled over the last 9 months at City.

But you know we are perhaps getting too carried away with Kings 'value'. Yes he ended the season well and had seemingly got his act together. (Under Thorn's system I might add - nothing like what Mc.Leish will play) but there are several strikers still available every bit as good as King in my opinion and when we consider he got sent off twice when we needed him for silly offences on the pitch that cost us dearly and all the stigma his arrival caused the club then his going may be a blessing in disguise.

craigus12

50% wage increase, and there's people who are still berating him (if) he goes to the blues? the only reason why everyone is pissed off is cause it was announced he was gonna sign, hand to heart - did any of you think he'd sign before all of this fiasco?

don't blame him for furthering his career, he aint got long left.

CovLis86

I completely agree with that and said pritty much the same in another thread. If I was King i would move to the blues but it would be purely down to footballing reasons. Once you retire from football and all you have to show for it is a nice house and a flash car, to me it would seem like a waste of a career, I would want trophies and medals coming out of my ears if I was good enough to be a pro, to me thats what football is all about, leaving a a good mark on the game.

You dont seriously believe that IF Marlon goes to Brum, hes doing it to leave a good mark on the game and win trophies...surely not? It would ALL be for money. If he wanted to leave a good mark on the game, he would show loyalty, bang in 20 goals next year and be known as a legend of the club if he took us to playoffs. Instead he will be a bit part Brum player. Glittering career...

hackneyfox

Hes not an impostor hes called HackneyFox for a reason and isn't pretending to be a Coventry fan if you have had enough of him just go onto his profile and add him to you're ignore list simples.

yeah god forbid that I may puncture the skyblue bubble that some of you live in.
Most people welcome debate, it's meant to be healthy, the majority of my posts aren't wind ups.

Marty

You dont seriously believe that IF Marlon goes to Brum, hes doing it to leave a good mark on the game and win trophies...surely not? It would ALL be for money. If he wanted to leave a good mark on the game, he would show loyalty, bang in 20 goals next year and be known as a legend of the club if he took us to playoffs. Instead he will be a bit part Brum player. Glittering career...

No, i'm saying if i was king, i would move for footballing reasons, King will move because he can earn an extra few quid, but it seems that I would be in football for the wrong reasons, it's all about earning as much in as little time for footballers now.

CovLis86

No, i'm saying if i was king, i would move for footballing reasons, King will move because he can earn an extra few quid, but it seems that I would be in football for the wrong reasons, it's all about earning as much in as little time for footballers now.

I agree with that. Id always ;like to think if i was the worlds best football player, I would still prefer to play for Coventry on as much as they could offer me compared to a premiership team. But...easy said when it will never happen.

Nick

Administrator

I have to agree.

A footballer has a short career rather than the average person who will work until they are 50 / 60. Yes they can become coaches but what is wrong with him doubling his money?

If I was playing for City and I got offered a few grand more when I was already earning big bucks I wouldn't move. If I was at a team I didn't support and got offered to double my wages to go to another team I didn't support. Of course I would, it is common sense!

skybluesteve76

yeah god forbid that I may puncture the skyblue bubble that some of you live in.
Most people welcome debate, it's meant to be healthy, the majority of my posts aren't wind ups.

Sorry my mistake. I'll just go and join a Leicester forum! I don't understand why your posting on a site that you couldn't care less about?? I thought this was for CCFC fans?? Why would you be bothering your arse with us?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Wait, an extra five thousands pounds a week won't make much difference to someone?
My point was in his career and on 10k p/w King could still afford all the luxuries in life and have loads of £££ left over, so any move motivated by money is purely greed.

Users who are viewing this thread