Item Would you be happy? (1 Viewer)

The Philosopher

I agree with the whole “we can only ever hope to be Norwich / West Brom” until Leicester somehow happened.

Jagmannn

Would you be happy for Mike Ashley to buy Coventry City now he has 300 million burning a hole in his pocket ?

Danceswithhorses

Would you be happy for Mike Ashley to buy Coventry City now he has 300 million burning a hole in his pocket ?
No.
He uses football clubs as vehicles to sell his trashy low quality brands eg Newcastle and Rangers.
He wouldn't have ccfc at heart, it's all about pleasing his investors and shareholders (sound familiar ?)
Fortunately, i think we're too small fry for his massive ego.

Jamesimus

Would much prefer us to continue doing well "against all the odds" and be able to claim some guilt free moral high ground when talking to other football fans about how great we are 😁

But I guess we'll never be a high achieving team without at least a bit more investment.

NortonSkyBlue

I would have been delighted if we had been taken over by a billionaire benefactor but there are so many owning clubs nowadays that we could still be where we are now. Fulham for example have a super rich owner, as do Bournemouth I believe. Are they any further along than we are?
The Newcastle scenario is a little different, the owners have access to gazillions and can spend it on anything they wish. Perversely due to Ashley’s prudence they are able to spend much more.

Si80

He's worth £2.5BN, that was the gripe with the Newcastle fans. They wanted a slice of that rather than being ran on a budget.

Londonccfcfan

Was talking to Tottrnham fan season ticket holder today...he doesnt feel the same connection as we do to our club.

There is something pure and real about supporting your club in lower leagues.

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

Let’s imagine we wake up this morning and instead of buying Newcastle, this group had made a more sensible decision and bought CCFC, would you be happy?

I look at Man City and think if I was an MCFC fan prior to all the money, Maine road days etc I actually really would not like what has happened to the club.

Can’t help but think these owners with their endless pit of cash, actually go a long way to sucking the lifeblood out of the club despite all the investment.

I know we all want to get back to the big time but I honestly would hate something like this to happen to us.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would rather us be shite and have a soul than good but with no soul and a side made of dodgy oil money

JulianDarbyFTW

At some point the money will stop - a wealthy benefactor will die, a 'regime' will lose interest, whatever it may be, and then we'll witness a team wither and die, possibly shutting down for good, unable to afford the multiple millions being spent on wages per week. There needs to be a financial reset of the game, otherwise it'll implode disasterously.

Brighton Sky Blue

At some point the money will stop - a wealthy benefactor will die, a 'regime' will lose interest, whatever it may be, and then we'll witness a team wither and die, possibly shutting down for good, unable to afford the multiple millions being spent on wages per week. There needs to be a financial reset of the game, otherwise it'll implode disasterously.

Well not enough people in this country give a toss and instead give praise to teams like Wolves for totally taking the piss. Or try to claim that Abramovich and his billions are comparable to local businessmen of the past

robbiekeane

Absolutely not. Wouldn't feel like my club anymore.

It's an interesting question though because, majority of fans wish we had a little more "investment" in the club. But what does that mean? Investing heavily in youth facilities and setup? The coaching staff? Just throwing it at player transfers and wages?

If so, how much? 5m? Seems okay. 50m? Wow big money. 500m......? Errr.....

What's an investment amount that is enough to give us a boost but not too much that you become a man city/liepzig/psg/newcastle style soul sucking plaything?

Games gone to shit

clint van damme

Purely anecdotal, but my friends who are Man City fans say they genuinely preferred it when they were shit. I imagine nostalgia is a big part of it, but cheaper tickets, a core fanbase, and (most of all) a sense of feeling closer to the club are the things they talk about missing.

The upsides of having mega-rich owners are obvious, but once your club starts catering to millions of fans overseas, hijacking the club’s PR to serve some oil tycoon, and jacking up season tickets to £1000 or more, it would quickly start to feel like someone else’s club.

Definitely an element of snobbery about that, but hey, that’s why football fans sing “Where were you when you were shit”. I’d love to see Coventry at Wembley every year, or do European away days, but I also want to set my own terms of what it means to be a Cov fan - I don’t want it to be this:

Is that the pilot episode for Ted Lasso?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
No.

There is something meaningful and solid about taking time to build things through achievement & hard work. Waving obscene amounts of money to achieve success basically takes the connection between the fans who have stuck through thick and thin away from the club over time. It becomes more about maximising return from the fans rather than involving the fans.

I want our club financially stable and challenging. But not at any cost, and certainly not by ripping the soul out of the club by focussing on more lucrative foreign fan bases.

Hope NUFC fans enjoy their ride, think they might find a lot of the fan base unable to keep up with the cost.

Just a thought but at some point SISU will want to sell up to maximise their investment .................... careful what you wish for

Great_Expectations

Absolutely not. I echo the thoughts of pretty much the majority of previous posts in the ‘No’ camp.

Ultimately for me it wouldn’t feel like my club anymore. It annoys me now when we get plastic fans turning up, moaning and not knowing players names. That on a global scale would be absolutely shit.

Being an underdog and organically growing gives much more of a sense of pride.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I'd rather have what we've had over the last few seasons than be run by that shower of a regime, i'd not want titles or european campaigns if it meant being bankrolled by them and selling the soul of the club. I can see why plenty of NUFC fans are excited but no thanks, not for CCFC i'd hope.

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

No I wouldn’t be happy personally. These people are in it for themselves which like everyone you could argue and it all sounds rosey and fluffy but they don’t give a shit about newcastle obviously and will be the first to drop it like a stone if it fails.
Wait until they try and change the stadium name or change the clubs colours. See how popular they are then?
People said the same about Chelsea and Man City and they’re still spending shit loads and nothings been changed, except their trophy cabinet

skyblue025

To be fair to the Man City owners they have pumped a lot of money into the local area as well as the club. I'm sure there are parts of the City that would welcome some regeneration. We could also buy the CBS and tell Wasps the door is that way. Every cloud .........

slowpoke

Jimmy Hill changed our colours
He did and it became Sky Blue by mistake. He went for Coventry Blue which is a known shade of blue, it’s similar to the blue on ribbon island in Foleshill but when the kit turned up it was much lighter but he stuck with it and we became the Sky Blues which we were christened by Nemo (Derrick Henderson) at the time the resident football correspondent at the Coventry Telegraph.

Covkid1968#

On a completely unrelated matter. As a last resort…I recently bought a Man City bar scarf ( no writing on it). I’ve been after a proper 70’s Sky blue one with a narrow navy and white line since my one wasn’t secured properly flapping out the window on the way to an away game. Bought it but who knew (not me) that Man City’s colours have maroon in it. So it was light blue maroon and white!!!! Pffffffff put it in the bin !!!!

Irish Sky Blue

On a completely unrelated matter. As a last resort…I recently bought a Man City bar scarf ( no writing on it). I’ve been after a proper 70’s Sky blue one with a narrow navy and white line since my one wasn’t secured properly flapping out the window on the way to an away game. Bought it but who knew (not me) that Man City’s colours have maroon in it. So it was light blue maroon and white!!!! Pffffffff put it in the bin !!!!
Proof that they are not true Sky blues!

stay_up_skyblues

Purely anecdotal, but my friends who are Man City fans say they genuinely preferred it when they were shit. I imagine nostalgia is a big part of it, but cheaper tickets, a core fanbase, and (most of all) a sense of feeling closer to the club are the things they talk about missing.

The upsides of having mega-rich owners are obvious, but once your club starts catering to millions of fans overseas, hijacking the club’s PR to serve some oil tycoon, and jacking up season tickets to £1000 or more, it would quickly start to feel like someone else’s club.

Definitely an element of snobbery about that, but hey, that’s why football fans sing “Where were you when you were shit”. I’d love to see Coventry at Wembley every year, or do European away days, but I also want to set my own terms of what it means to be a Cov fan - I don’t want it to be this:

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread