Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

The Phoenix Would they ever mess with our badge? (1 Viewer)

Joined
May 5, 2023
Messages
82
Reaction score
242
Hey everyone,

I've written a piece on this over on The Phoenix but I also wanted to open this up here and get some thoughts from fellow fans.

Newcastle have today unveiled a redesigned club badge. It must be said that it is a very gentle redesign, but it does seem to be a modern trend of the last 20 years or so that clubs strip back their club badge.

How would you react if we followed this trend?

There's been a lot of talk about the use of Cov rather than Sky Blues and the elephant design appearing more and more rather than the full badge in recent months.

In an opinion piece on ThePhoenix.news, I've taken a look at this and I also spoke to Martyn Routledge who quite literally wrote the book on football club badges. He pointed to Liverpool as an example. I must admit, when I think of the Liverpool badge, I think of the full crest (below on the left) but actually while they still use that, it now tends to be the simpler design on the right that appears on shirts. What if we kept the full badge but rolled out the elephant for kits? I'm just asking the question here, I am fully in the camp of leave the badge alone. Obviously, previous owners tried this in 2005 and a new design was flat-out rejected by fans.
Liverpool Crest and Liver Bird Showcase.webp

You can read my full opinion piece here but I'd love to hear what you all think about this.

Cheers

Richard

Founder, The Phoenix
 
We must always keep the current badge as our official badge. Wouldn't object to the old 60s badge being on our kits though but not the rubbish version we've done recently of just taking away the eagle, phoenix and scroll from the modern badge. Looks rubbish imo.
 
I could possibly vote for a simpler version for the kit if it were done well.
Keep the original on the stadium, etc.
 
Mess with the badge and not buy the merch and they soon change it back. Personally i wouldn’t buy any merch (or wear) any top with just COV on it and the paint run design is awful. Also just the elephant is terrible with no context just make us all out to be over weight lard arses.
 
They need supporter approvals, don't they?

Our crest is instantly recognisable, it would be a strange choice to try and change it.

The elephant we've been seeing serves a different purpose, I think. I have no opinion on it, really, but don't expect its use for anything other than snappy merchandising.
 
They already basically did what Newcastle did when we launched the subtle redesign in the late 00s. Reduced colours and fiddly line work.

Our badge is regularly pretty high on best badge lists, I would hate it if they messed with it.

I'm totally fine with mixing up icons for branding and even have alternate badges for some kits but I'd want the main badge to stay largely the same. I think it's really striking.

1790875917511.webp
1790875964664.webp
 
Last edited:
Yes, that was a shocker and a PR nightmare for the club. And it was bloody awful!
The fact they just announced it one day (though I did remember there was a job advert for some sort of graphic artist a few moths before which was probably a clue) meant they knew it would be unpopular, and yet they still went and did it anyway. No idea why, because if they had just gone through with it it would have been a commercial as well as PR disaster.

And the fact that the design was so, so bad just added an insult to the injury. They could have at least provided options, or even got fans to submit designs, which would have been slightly less of a disaster, but not much.
 
pri GIF
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom