Would people be so forgiving of Pressley... (1 Viewer)

psgm1

Banned
Carsley won 3 of his 5 games (60% win ratio), yet there were a number of people saying he shouldn't be manager.

Yet it seems these SAME people are now saying that Pressley should be given a full season, yet how many games has he won in the last 5 games?

It seems incredibly hypocritical to say Carsley isn't good enough after 5 games, yet at the same time claim you cannot judge a manager unless he has had a full season!

Unquestionably had Pressley been given the job in a caretaker capacity, he would NEVER have been given the post after his first 5 games. So to claim you cannot judge him until the end of the season is utterly hypocritical and nonsense.

We have seen enough to realise he isn't up to the job!

PRESSLEY OUT

I'mARealWizard

Someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png

stupot07

Carsley did have a Leon Clarke....Pressley only had Clarke for 1 match before he got injured.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think he has a point for once, had Pressley only been appointed on a short term basis would people be willing to keep him on beyond the end of the season.

I think now he is here, he has to be given a preseason and a chance but if we start next season poorly the pressure is going to increase dramatically.

Nick

Administrator
I think once he has had a pre season and IF he gets to bring his own players in and then give him 10 - 15 games and then if there is still no sign he can go back up north and take his philosophy with him!

WillieStanley

Different circimstances with Carsley. He didn't have to contend with a 10 point deduction and we still had the play offs to play for. Carsley also openly admitted he didnt want the job!!

SkyBlueScottie

No Clarke, 10 point deduction.Safety was achieved in the 1st game after deduction, therefore there was nothing to play for. We have seen that this squad without a decent forward struggles...... I don't get your reasoning unless of course you are on a big wind up.

dongonzalos

Presseley should be allowed to build his own squad

Say sign 8-9 players.

Then if in his first three games two of which against teams who end up in the play offs he remains undefeated then he should be sacked immediately.

motherfunky

It's not about having no Clarke, he should motivate and get the team fit, and he is not doing it. We look a very poor outfit.

Paxman II

TBH I will be dismayed if he is given carte blanche to run the rule and bring in a load of players based on his judgement from what I've seen of his judgement so far and then be given 10 games or so into next season. Thorn immediately springs to mind. That's why we have this perennial problem, we appoint one good manager in 10. It will simply be too late and we will be left with a squad he has hand picked. I also seem to recall we had a period under Robins where we were free scoring from all over the pitch? It was not just Clarke or McGoldrick. Baker had 14 was it? I think a large part of our squad/team have scored goals, something which dried up dramatically when Robins left.
I don't have anything against Pressley as a person and it does indeed seem unfair to judge someone so quickly but I'm afraid from what I have seen he will not be the man to take us onwards and upwards. He comes across as an appeaser, tow the party line and all that. Listening to his appearance on the Trust evening he was pleasant but came across so naïve regarding his remit under SISU - a sign he grabbed the chance of a 'big club' opportunity regardless of what shite he was going to deal with. When he says we will work hard 24/7 etc that's great but that won't make any difference if you are not good at your job. All I'm saying is my gut reaction has been telling me he will not achieve anything here based on what he said when he got here, when ever he is asked anything and his performance so far. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

wingy

If he works on his distribution, he could be a good player for CCFC. Besides, nothing has been agreed yet.

I'm affraid I'm with you Paxman .

It seems ludicrous I know but I get entirely the same Impression,Hope he proves me wrong but i go with my gut,Ido get the feeling he was a

deterrent ,a) In the length of his appointmen and b) doubly so if he has time to assemble his own squad.

Last edited:

psgm1

Banned
Carsley was caretaker for 5 games. Would you hire anybody off such a short spell?

How many games had Pressley been in charge of city before they signed him?

Point is people claim you cannot assess a manager after a season, yet seem pretty happy to write off carsley after 5 games.

CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS...... Either you say a manager needs a season, or you can assess on MERIT.

It will be clear long before the end of a season whether or not a manager is up to the job.

He took over with a series of 5 games - 4 against relegation sides, and the football served up was atrocious. Certainly would have not been considered as a manager had he been caretaker.

But if you want to delude yourself that he can do a job - so be it

Mucca Mad Boys

How many games had Pressley been in charge of city before they signed him?

Point is people claim you cannot assess a manager after a season, yet seem pretty happy to write off carsley after 5 games.

CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS...... Either you say a manager needs a season, or you can assess on MERIT.

It will be clear long before the end of a season whether or not a manager is up to the job.

He took over with a series of 5 games - 4 against relegation sides, and the football served up was atrocious. Certainly would have not been considered as a manager had he been caretaker.

But if you want to delude yourself that he can do a job - so be it

Carsley didn't want the job. So CCFC didn't write him off, he simply didn't want the job.

LC also had Leon at his disposal.

Grendel

TBH I will be dismayed if he is given carte blanche to run the rule and bring in a load of players based on his judgement from what I've seen of his judgement so far and then be given 10 games or so into next season. Thorn immediately springs to mind. That's why we have this perennial problem, we appoint one good manager in 10. It will simply be too late and we will be left with a squad he has hand picked. I also seem to recall we had a period under Robins where we were free scoring from all over the pitch? It was not just Clarke or McGoldrick. Baker had 14 was it? I think a large part of our squad/team have scored goals, something which dried up dramatically when Robins left.
I don't have anything against Pressley as a person and it does indeed seem unfair to judge someone so quickly but I'm afraid from what I have seen he will not be the man to take us onwards and upwards. He comes across as an appeaser, tow the party line and all that. Listening to his appearance on the Trust evening he was pleasant but came across so naïve regarding his remit under SISU - a sign he grabbed the chance of a 'big club' opportunity regardless of what shite he was going to deal with. When he says we will work hard 24/7 etc that's great but that won't make any difference if you are not good at your job. All I'm saying is my gut reaction has been telling me he will not achieve anything here based on what he said when he got here, when ever he is asked anything and his performance so far. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Goals all over the pitch? If you consider mcgoldrick and Clarke as one player as one replaced the other 70% of goals were scored by 2 players baker being the other.

Defence is poor and midfield disjointed.

Squad is not that good and without the disproportionate goals we are a mid table league one team.

Nonleagueherewecome

Under Carsley we had no direction or gameplan-or philosophy, if you like. Under Pressley, we maybe have too much philosophy, not enough pragmatism, but at least we're not utterly listless and resorting to wafting it up in the air at every opportunity.

Pressley has had the 10 point deduction, players with little to play for, no opportunity to bring in players and a host of injuries. I think he deserves until Christmas at least. If anyone hear the caller Jeff on CWR after the game on Saturday, basically I agree with everything he said. And not just 'cos he's one of my best mates ;)

letsallsingtogether

Wouldn't make much difference who was manager here if we came second in the league you would all have him sacked for not winning it.
At the end of the day we are Coventry city in the third tier of English football and you expect what?
All managers that are available have been sacked for not being good enough at one club or another
so you would have who?
Carsley won 3 of his 5 games (60% win ratio), yet there were a number of people saying he shouldn't be manager.

Yet it seems these SAME people are now saying that Pressley should be given a full season, yet how many games has he won in the last 5 games?

It seems incredibly hypocritical to say Carsley isn't good enough after 5 games, yet at the same time claim you cannot judge a manager unless he has had a full season!

Unquestionably had Pressley been given the job in a caretaker capacity, he would NEVER have been given the post after his first 5 games. So to claim you cannot judge him until the end of the season is utterly hypocritical and nonsense.

We have seen enough to realise he isn't up to the job!

PRESSLEY OUT

Good idea lets sack SP. If we can get a new manger quickly then perhaps we can lose him, get another and go for some sort of record. FFS

stupot07

View attachment 1958team v MK Dons in Dec apart from Adams, Pressley could have picked this side for the last few matches,so people keep saying he is missing Clarke,if you play attacking side you can get a result.
1 match, and a team that already had momentum.

How come we averaged 2 goals per game when DMc was here under robins but then it dropped down to 1.14 goals per game when he left?

Blackburn beat Man Utd at Old Trafford in the season they got relegated - 1 match means nothing.

Oh and apart from Adams......and Elliott...

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

More to the point Pressley has another 2 years to run so sacking him is going to cost more that can't be afforded at this point in time. To be honest the off field situation is a lot more serious and determining of next season's prospect than the manager-I would gladly take Pressley still being here if SISU no longer are.

Mucca Mad Boys

View attachment 1958team v MK Dons in Dec apart from Adams, Pressley could have picked this side for the last few matches,so people keep saying he is missing Clarke,if you play attacking side you can get a result.

At least we had Elliott then! He was distinctly average, but better than Wilson, Philliskirk, Cody and Ball!

psgm1

Banned
Good idea lets sack SP. If we can get a new manger quickly then perhaps we can lose him, get another and go for some sort of record. FFS

Right because sticking with a crap manager who has successfully managed to take the team backwards in his time here is always a recipe for success!

Ridiculous

GusG

You seriously think anyone in the right mind who's a decent manager would want to come here? That's ridiculous

Covstu

Personally never seen the point in bring Pressley in given that we were about to embark in the admin process (having said that this was forced on SISU) but Carsley wasnt the man for the job and he admitted that himself. You cannot compare records here as they were very different circumstances given the deduction and administration hanging over the club and players.

Is pressley the right man going forward???? Time will tell!!

SkyBlueHomer

Right because sticking with a crap manager who has successfully managed to take the team backwards in his time here is always a recipe for success!

Ridiculous

Taking the team backwards.....? The entire club has gone backwards this season, apart from the off field antics, 10 point deduction, 5 different managers & our top scorer out injured is it any wonder we finished poorly.
What would you have done, sack him and get a 6th in before the end of the season?

letsallsingtogether

Unfortunately I think they would then the next one and the next every time we loose a game sack the manager.:thinking about:
What would you have done, sack him and get a 6th in before the end of the season?

Sick Boy

Presseley should be allowed to build his own squad

Say sign 8-9 players.

Then if in his first three games two of which against teams who end up in the play offs he remains undefeated then he should be sacked immediately.

you may have a point if he had got us relegated the previous season.

It is interesting that he doesn't receive the same backing as our mate thorny did, if thorn was in sp's shoes any criticism of him ould be shouted down.

Users who are viewing this thread