Worst season ever? (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Surely this is the most dispiriting season we have ever endured as CCFC fans at least in living memory - I've heard the 1920s were a bleak time for the club but I doubt many remember that decade (I certainly don't).

Can it get worse next season? I fear with if SISU are still hear with Pressley and a squad of youth team players next season will be worse...

ajsccfc

Winning the league would have also meant us finishing lower than last season. Stunning logic.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Disagree that last season was worse than this, there is some decent football in the Championship and as bad as last season was we were still competing with clubs of stature - taking 4 points off Leeds for example and drawing against Cardiff. This season we have had the double done against us by those footballing behemoths of Carlisle, Shrewbury and Crawley. For fans who remember us beating Chelsea, Liverpool and United, this season really is the pits in my opinion.

6 Generations

Disagree that last season was worse than this, there is some decent football in the Championship and as bad as last season was we were still competing with clubs of stature - taking 4 points off Leeds for example and drawing against Cardiff. This season we have had the double done against us by those footballing behemoths of Carlisle, Shrewbury and Crawley. For fans who remember us beating Chelsea, Liverpool and United, this season really is the pits in my opinion.

I thought that we beat Crawley 3-1 at home?

WillieStanley

It seems we have come full circle. At the beginning of the season, fans and players had trouble coming to terms with the names and level of the teams we were playing against. Apparently we're doing the same now. We are in the league we're in and we have the players we have. We have a decent league 1 squad. We have had an average league 1 season. Just because we have a badge on our shirt that has some decent history behind it does not mean that we have a right to expect teams to roll over and let us pound them. We don't have the players or prestige of the past. We need to treat the league we are in with the respect we deserve. The sooner we do that, the sooner we will get behind our team and the sooner we'll be able to progress.

This elitist attitude has its part to play in our down fall and generates that bitter atmosphere at the Ricoh.

ccfc92

I agree! I couldn't wait for last season to end. This season has had more highs (on field) than lows. Just starting to want the season to end now as its obvious the players can't be arsed so whats the point!

agreed. and we've had amazing away form, the JPT run, and away days at emirates and WHL. been a fun season :) loved Yeovil away, great weather, just a shame we drew.

WillieStanley

agreed. and we've had amazing away form, the JPT run, and away days at emirates and WHL. been a fun season :) loved Yeovil away, great weather, just a shame we drew.

Plus JPT PNE at home was probably the most fun I've had at the Ricoh... ever!!

ccfc92

I quite enjoyed MK Dons away too. Cant see us taking that following on 'just another away game' again anytime soon. Atmosphere was surreal for a City game!

unfortunately i missed it due to work :( but it looked amazing :) and a great match

SkyBlue_Bear83

It seems we have come full circle. At the beginning of the season, fans and players had trouble coming to terms with the names and level of the teams we were playing against. Apparently we're doing the same now. We are in the league we're in and we have the players we have. We have a decent league 1 squad. We have had an average league 1 season. Just because we have a badge on our shirt that has some decent history behind it does not mean that we have a right to expect teams to roll over and let us pound them. We don't have the players or prestige of the past. We need to treat the league we are in with the respect we deserve. The sooner we do that, the sooner we will get behind our team and the sooner we'll be able to progress.

This elitist attitude has its part to play in our down fall and generates that bitter atmosphere at the Ricoh.
How is it elitist to expect to do well against teams who have a playing budget a 1/4 of ours? Obviously there will be blips and we will lose games we should on paper win but on reflection we should expect to win the majority of games against weaker sides than us.

Fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton wouldn't accept teams like Wigan, Norwich and Reading all doing the double over them in one season.

Should we just accept these teams doing the double over us shall we? It's not elitism, it's an ambition to get out of the league. If we have an ambition to get out of this league these are the teams that more often than not we should be picking up points from, obviously there will be disappointing results along the way but the disappointing results have been far too often this season.

Maybe we should just accept and embrace being a mediocre league 1 team. :thinking about:

coundonskyblue

16th in Division 3 should never be described as good.

Have to remember if the season ended today with us in 16th, we have only ever finshed lower than that three times in history (1928 20th in Div 3, 1958 19th in Div 3, 1959 2nd in Div 4).

Bugsy

I quite enjoyed MK Dons away too. Cant see us taking that following on 'just another away game' again anytime soon. Atmosphere was surreal for a City game!

That game was immense, loved the whole day, plus beatin brum in the league cup was special 2 me :)

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Absolutely pathetic attitude that makes me furious.

The fact remains, whether you like it or not, we should be able to do well at this level.

1. We are one of the ten largest cities in this country and are the only club in the city - does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
2. We were in the top division for 34 of the past 45 years - does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
3. We have won the FA Cup in the past 30 years - apart from Portsmouth, does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
4. We used to average a crowd of around 20,000 until our present owners started their quest to destroy our club - apart from Sheffield United and possibly Portsmouth, does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
5. Ask any fans of other clubs in this division, who are the biggest clubs in this League and they will say us, Sheffield United and possibly Portsmouth.

We should be competing with similar sized clubs - Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Birmingham, Wolves etc. The only reason these clubs are now light years ahead of us is that we have been horrendously mismanaged by our owners over the past 15 years or so, in particular the past 5 years.

If we have this small club mentality, we will be at this level or lower for decades.

SkyBlue_Bear83

How optimistic we all were at that point :(

Could have been the most exciting season for years if we had kept Mcgoldrick and Robins :(

That's what hurts the most about our end to the season, torturing ourselves about what could have been.

ccfcway

last season was sh1t
this season is sh1t
next season will be sh1t
not finished in the top 6 in any league since before i was born
fans were arguing about a ticket allocation for a JPT final we didnt get to, despite the actual final having an attendance that we normally take to MK Dons
Callum Wilson (no offence to him) is our "star striker" and up front on his own
We are in administartion , put there by our owners who "are debt free" and guarantee to fund us for the next 3 years
Tim Fisher
David Bell
"Its ACL's fault"
Lets appeal the points deduction / lets withdraw that appeal
ARVO
Debenture
We could go into liquidation
CCFC Holdings
Escrow Account
3rd transfer embargo in 3 years
"Text a sub"
Cody McDonald
"Best boardroom in my time in football"
etc etc

In the words of a classic BBC kids show

"Why dont you turn off and do something less boring instead"

The sooner we reach rock bottom the better.

(Should anyone be interested, I am available for kids parties, birthday, weddings and various events)

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

The fact remains, whether you like it or not, we should be able to do well at this level.

1. We are one of the ten largest cities in this country and are the only club in the city - does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
2. We were in the top division for 34 of the past 45 years - does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
3. We have won the FA Cup in the past 30 years - apart from Portsmouth, does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
4. We used to average a crowd of around 20,000 until our present owners started their quest to destroy our club - apart from Sheffield United and possibly Portsmouth, does that apply to any other clubs in League One?
5. Ask any fans of other clubs in this division, who are the biggest clubs in this League and they will say us, Sheffield United and possibly Portsmouth.

We should be competing with similar sized clubs - Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Birmingham, Wolves etc. The only reason these clubs are now light years ahead of us is that we have been horrendously mismanaged by our owners over the past 15 years or so, in particular the past 5 years.

If we have this small club mentality, we will be at this level or lower for decades.
No your wrong, we should except getting 0 points from 6 games against Crewe, Carlisle and Shrewsbury. To think otherwise is an elitist attitude.

WillieStanley

We are where we are. That's that. All those factors are great but the fact remains, we are in L1 with a L1 squad. Not a squad that maintained 34 years in the top flight, not a squad that won an FA cup and not a current fan base that reflects that. Yes, we should be competing at a higher level and teams of a similar size are above us, but they've all been where we are and all had to swallow their pride in order to return to where they should be. The badge at on the shirt deserves better but it hasn't got it. To claim that we should be at the top of the league quite simply because we're Coventry City is completely disrespectful to the other teams in the league and ignores everything that has been happening to us over the last 20 years.

Aim for better and you'll achieve it. Expect better and you'll fail.

"Knowing is not enough, we must do. Willing is not enough, we must apply"

ajsccfc

There's a very obvious grey area between WE SHOULD STILL BE PREMIER LEAGUE NOT PLAYING TINPOT CLUBS and being happy to lose at Crawley.

WillieStanley

To clarify my position

I'm not happy at all.

Havent been for years

:wave:

I feel I must also clarify, perhapd more so than you CCFCWAY ;)

I am not happy that we are where we are doing what we're doing. Far from it. Life, however, is about accepting where you are and working to over come it, not about saying "this isn't right" and offering not much else to get out of it.

torchomatic

You're living in the past, that's the problem. We are where we are with the squad we have.

I don't think it's anything to do with a "small club mentality" but all to do with investment and finance. If we have massive investment, could buy great players then we'd do better. At the moment we don't have a great squad so we can't. That's not being defeatist or having a small club mentality, it's being realistic.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We are where we are. That's that. All those factors are great but the fact remains, we are in L1 with a L1 squad. Not a squad that maintained 34 years in the top flight, not a squad that won an FA cup and not a current fan base that reflects that. Yes, we should be competing at a higher level and teams of a similar size are above us, but they've all been where we are and all had to swallow their pride in order to return to where they should be. The badge at on the shirt deserves better but it hasn't got it. To claim that we should be at the top of the league quite simply because we're Coventry City is completely disrespectful to the other teams in the league and ignores everything that has been happening to us over the last 20 years.

Aim for better and you'll achieve it. Expect better and you'll fail.

"Knowing is not enough, we must do. Willing is not enough, we must apply"
No we should expect to be top of the league because we are Coventry City.

We should expect to be challenging for the play offs and top 2 because we have one of the highest wage budgets in the league. Which we haven't so therefore I am not happy

Not elitism, common sense.

WillieStanley

No we should expect to be top of the league because we are Coventry City.

We should expect to be challenging for the play offs and top 2 because we have one of the highest wage budgets in the league. Which we haven't so therefore I am not happy

Not elitism, common sense.

Expecting, as I said, is not enough!! Having a high wage budget is not enough either. We have so many issues we need to resolve before hand. One being consistancy of manager but even that issue is the peak of the tip of the ice berg.

I actually enjoyed last season MUCH MORE than this one, despite relegation. Yes, we went down, but the football was much much better. When i saw us lose, which wasnt often, as we lost like 5 games at home, it didnt matter to me, cus at everyhome game (bar Donnie and Milwall) was a good match. This season, we either win or its an awful game. Its not been the worst ever. Its been the worst i've seen in my time as a CCFC supporter, but im sure the older Sky Blues can tell you there have been worse than this. We just gotta regroup, re-arm and re-load and get going from the off next season. We can have the best season in a long time next year if the fans get behind the lads on that patch no matter what

SkyBlue_Bear83

Expecting, as I said, is not enough!! Having a high wage budget is not enough either. We have so many issues we need to resolve before hand. One being consistancy of manager but even that issue is the peak of the tip of the ice berg.

Yea well obviously a lot of hard work has to go into meeting expectations, I haven't said otherwise. If the players and staff expect to win just because they believe they are better players without doing the proper work and preparation then that is unacceptable. It is perfectly fine for fans to have expectation though and as a fan I would expect the players to have a better attitude than that.

Expecting a team with one of the highest wage budgets in the league to be competing at the top of the league is not an elitist attitude or an unrealistic expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread