Worst ever decision by a referee? (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Very much so. Well known amongst football people those games has dodgy written all over them. Just heard the ref for the Italy match the one who sent of totti has just come out of jail for drug trafficking thus proving he likes a bung. Also heard jack Warner personally picked the ref for the South Korea v Spain match later on in the 2002 WC and we all know his past from the last year. He is corrupt as the rest of them.

Honestly I don't know where it stops. Very worrying.

If you haven't seen them or can't remember them then well worth a look on YouTube.

Likes a bung or a bong? Probably both :)

rupert_bear

FA Cup at Sheffield Wednesday, midweek due to Saturday's fixture being post poned due to snow. I think we took the lead through Terry Gibson then Wednesday equalised. Dave Bennett got taken out when clean through but got nothing.

Then the real piss poor decision, from all things a South Yorkshire, deep in injury time with a replay beckoning back at Highfield Road.

Wednesday corner to the near post, their forward rises and heads it wide for goal kick. But as it goes wide of the post it hits the back of a defenders arm which was outstretched through jumping in front of the attacker.

No hesitation whistle and pointed straight to the spot. Wednesday score and are through. Coventry make official complaint to FA who I think just threw it straight in the bin.

I am pissed off even now.
I remember that cup-tie, can't think of the referees name but he was one of the top ones at the time and believe it or not from Yorkshire, he was dropped from the list though at the end of the season I think and was in line to be cu final referee so he did pay a penalty. Later that night we were in a chippy when a mob of Wednesday fans attacked us bit of melee and one of ours had a waste bin held out for protection old bill nicked him, no Wednesday fans got nicked. The bloke, no previous, married couple of kids case got taken to Crown Court got 12 months, lost his job, home the lot. bad night !

clint van damme

Probably more down to the lineman than the ref but ian taylor scored at Highfield Road for villa after been put in on goal by merson.

merson was about 20 yards offside when he received the ball.

Worst refereeing displays that spring to mind was rennie when we beat villa 4-1 at villa park. Without his help villa could have conceded 8 that day.

Ellery against derby when we lost 4-0 at pride park. The one where Strachan went mental because of something Ellery said to him.

D

Deleted member 4439

Very much so. Well known amongst football people those games has dodgy written all over them. Just heard the ref for the Italy match the one who sent of totti has just come out of jail for drug trafficking thus proving he likes a bung. Also heard jack Warner personally picked the ref for the South Korea v Spain match later on in the 2002 WC and we all know his past from the last year. He is corrupt as the rest of them.

Honestly I don't know where it stops. Very worrying.

If you haven't seen them or can't remember them then well worth a look on YouTube.

It was an assault, in every sense of the word : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDqW3Nk1Y0

SeasideShrimper

The ref we had on Saturday. Worst decision? Agreeing with the linesman in awarding Peterborough a last minute penalty, even after he saw the linesman signal for a throw, a corner a goal kick and a substitution in quick succession.

M&B Stand

Hartson goal for us at West Ham the year we went down, given offside because the linesman didn't notice they had a man on the line.

mechaishida

Perfectly good Crystal Palace goal (at Highfield Road) from a free kick, hit the back stanchion and rebounded out, ref thought it hit the bar (in fairness so did I until I saw the replay on TV).

Clive Allen it was, and his protestation was priceless:

"Awwww, noooo...it hit the stanchion!"

westofrayne

Perfectly good Crystal Palace goal (at Highfield Road) from a free kick, hit the back stanchion and rebounded out, ref thought it hit the bar (in fairness so did I until I saw the replay on TV).

I was in the Sky Blues (M&B) stand that day near the Kop we clear saw it had gone in, imagine if it was today Ksy would be all over it

ms639

I know it's not a single decision and I cannot remember who we were playing so if anyone can help.... but I remember a few years ago at the ricoh there was the worst refereeing display I have ever seen and a fan ran onto the pitch trying to get to the referee, I remember howling as he did his standard referee backwards run towards the tunnel, can anyone help?

Johnnythespider

It has to be those yellow shirts surely, I mean, what were they thinking.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skybluepm2

We have had our fair share of rubbish this season, decisions which have ultimately cost us a number of points, none more so than at Bramall Lane.

The thing that i cannot stand is the way that no matter how costly their error, the FA and FL continue to wrap them in cotton wool and have the audacity to sanction fines and bans against any manager who dare open their mouth to voice even the slightest of criticisms.

A tad off topic but I just saw the word referee and the red mid descended!!

RegTheDonk

Not us, but FA Cup Final 88. Ref blows early when Peter Beardsley is pulled back, even though he goes on to score. To try and make up for it, gives Liverpool a penalty in the 2nd half - despite it's fairly blatent that the defender got the ball rather than the man. Bessant saves the pen and Wimbledon win. Dunno if 1-0 was the fair outcome, but the ref was shocking.

skybluesam66

Don't think it can happen now they changed the design of the stancheon due to that.
mark hughes did something similar for southampton v leeds, except the advertising boards were the culprit that time - volleyed a rocket into the net - hit the advertising boards, and came back out - at full speed didnt look a goal, but when they slowed it down on tv was clear
he was the only one to really challenge the decision

Also nobody as mentioned the frank lampard v germany in the world cup

fernandopartridge

Remember game at Norwich maybe 20-25 years ago. IIRC we were loosing 1 - 0 when we score after a scramble. Ref disallows goal & explains he had already blown for a penalty when the ball has hit the net. After much protests things settle down & ball is placed on the pen spot - can't remember who took it- & ball is promptly dispatched into bottom
left corner. Hurrah 1 - 1. But wait this dick-heads not finished yet. So he disallows the pen for encroachment (unbelievable Jeff ) well you can guess where the next attempt went can't you. Result 1 - 0

It was a 1-1 draw wasn't it, Mick Quinn got the equaliser (and missed the penalty)

skyblue94

Remember the home game v Burnley first season we were relegated from the PL. Burnley got a dubious free kick on the edge of the area and then the referee, Mr Fraser Stretton decides to move the ball forward 10 yards because of City players complaining to him about the decision. Only problem was he failed to remember that you cant move the ball forward into the penalty box, so Burnley have a FK about 8 yards out, all City players on the goal line and cant remember who it was for Burnley but he managed to find the only gap in the entire goals. Think we lost that 2-0. Irked to this day.

skybluepm2

Remember the home game v Burnley first season we were relegated from the PL. Burnley got a dubious free kick on the edge of the area and then the referee, Mr Fraser Stretton decides to move the ball forward 10 yards because of City players complaining to him about the decision. Only problem was he failed to remember that you cant move the ball forward into the penalty box, so Burnley have a FK about 8 yards out, all City players on the goal line and cant remember who it was for Burnley but he managed to find the only gap in the entire goals. Think we lost that 2-0. Irked to this day.

If it's the same game I'm thinking of, I'm sure it was our Gk holding on to the ball for more than 6 seconds. The only time I can ever remember seeing that rule being imposed. If only it had still been around this season, we'd have had our fair share of free kicks inside the box, especially at home!

Block19

back at Highfield road when we playing leeds and the ref blew the whistle for full time but the scoreboard showed 88mins. the manager told the ref to look at the scoreboard and the match carried on. I think the manager might have been John Sillett but I might be wrong as I can't remember the year.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Johhny Blue

The ref we had on Saturday. Worst decision? Agreeing with the linesman in awarding Peterborough a last minute penalty, even after he saw the linesman signal for a throw, a corner a goal kick and a substitution in quick succession.

I think we could award the Worst Linesman decision(s) for that one. If the ref had agreed with him it would have been interesting to see the penalty, throw, free kick and substitution all happen together. Maybe we could get him for our upcoming game.

The Philosopher

About '89/'90.

Vs Man Utd at HR

Bryan Robson, already on a yellow, hacked through Speedie in a challenge that should have been a straight red and a call up to the FA for violent conduct.

Ref saw it as clear as day, everyone expected Robson to be off (including Robson) but the Ref just talked to him for 5 mins. He was the England skipper at the time.

Unbelievable.

Gynnsthetonic

Sheffield Utd away in the q final replay in 1997 ref said the ball came off Nielson for a corner in injury time, half there fans had left the stadium we were 1-0 up and they equalised and then thrashed us on penalties.
Cuntz

M&B Stand

About '89/'90.

Vs Man Utd at HR

Bryan Robson, already on a yellow, hacked through Speedie in a challenge that should have been a straight red and a call up to the FA for violent conduct.

Ref saw it as clear as day, everyone expected Robson to be off (including Robson) but the Ref just talked to him for 5 mins. He was the England skipper at the time.

Unbelievable.

It's 2016 and you've just managed to piss me off with a memory like that! Remember it well.

A decade or so later, John Eustace got booked for being hacked down by Roy Keane and having the temerity to stand his ground. Mr Poll did nothing to Keane and gave united the free kick.

jimmyhillsfanclub

It's 2016 and you've just managed to piss me off with a memory like that! Remember it well.

A decade or so later, John Eustace got booked for being hacked down by Roy Keane and having the temerity to stand his ground. Mr Poll did nothing to Keane and gave united the free kick.

I "liked" your post for the use of the word "temerity"......one of my favourites.....so much better than "impudence" or "effrontery"

Speedies_Chips

Sheffield Utd away in the q final replay in 1997 ref said the ball came off Nielson for a corner in injury time, half there fans had left the stadium we were 1-0 up and they equalised and then thrashed us on penalties.
Cuntz

It did come off Nilsson. He tried to control it, but it quirmed off his boot for the corner. Gutting as he wasn't under pressure or anything.

Last edited:

eastwoodsdustman

I'll throw my hat in the ring but its not one anyone else will have seen - 3 years ago my lads team were playing their last game of the season and were second bottom of the league. They were playing the team one place and one point above them and needed to win to stay up.
It was 1-1 and about a minute to go when our teams striker ran clean through on the right hand side of the penalty area. Keeper runs out and straight into him pushing him over without making any attempt to get the ball. The ball goes out and the ref give a goal kick. It was something similar to the Schumacher incident but was in the area. They draw and get relegated. Moped Bri strikes again.

JimmyHillsbeard

It did come off Nilsson. He tried to control it, but it quirmed off his boot for the corner. Gutting as he wasn't under pressure or anything.

The only on-field mistake he ever made playing for us!!

The crap decision on that day came from S Yorks police who insisted the penalties had to take place in front of the Sheffield United fans despite the fact that we won the toss

Mcbean

I think for me the Thierry Henry handball France versus Ireland is right up there - FIFA gave the Irish bloodmoney after to keep them quiet

That lady lino did ok for me !

Gazolba

The referee that awarded the goal that relegated us from the Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread