Worst Ever Concert ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by bringbackrattles, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bringbackrattles

bringbackrattles Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,085.37
    We've all been to see our favourite bands and had a great time. But what about the concerts you've been to and you wish you'd never bothered ? Two gigs that come to mind are one in Leicester early 90's when me and my then missus went to see Ozzy Osbourne. He came on stage pissed up and late, and was terrible as he forgot words to songs, and after half an hour got booed off stage. Another was Lou Reed at Warwick University about fifteen years ago. It was an hour and a half of boredom, he was plugging his new album/band and it was a mixture of folk music and improvisation. Me and a mate spent most of the concert in the bar as did most of the crowd !
    What concerts did you attend that bring back negative memories ?

2. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £458.41
    Can't remember the year, but Scorpions were supporting Judas Priest over at the NEC. Scorps were outstanding, could easily have headlined that show on their own.

Priest were absolutely awful. After a couple of songs, I recall quite a few people actually walked out. Fair to say that Scorpions had played them off the stage.

bringbackrattles likes this.
  3. MatthewWallis

MatthewWallis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £15.96
    Arctic Monkeys in 2013, they cancelled on the night of the original one and re-scheduled for a few weeks later. The set list was shit, they looked like they couldn’t be arsed and worst of all I’d bought my mate a ticket for his birthday off a re sell website for about £140, really wish I hadn’t bothered

4. pastythegreat

pastythegreat Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £460.12
    Can't stand Arctic Monkeys for that very reason. Great 1st album, nothing better than average ever since but act like proper big time Charlie's. Charging £80 for tickets for the last tour proves this. Absolute jokers.
    In terms of worst concert though, it'd have to be Kings of Leon at the Ricoh. During the warm up acts, both me and the missus were sick several times and had to leave. We heard the 1st 3 songs of the set stood outside waiting for a lift. Although it did have a happy ending. The missus was adamant she would see KoL again that year so applied for ever ticket competition she could find. We won 2x weekend camping tickets to IoW festival 10th anniversary (2011). And what a weekend. Massive line up. Corteeners, pulp, Kaiser chiefs, manics, beady eye, and headlined by Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters and Kasabian.

bringbackrattles and Otis like this.
  5. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £612.76
    Think I said it before and it was The Sensational Alex Harvey Band at Cov Theatre and they were just far too loud. So loud you couldn't really hear any of the songs at all. It was literally painful to the ears, which then took all the pleasure away entirely. Had to have my hands over my ears for the whole concert, but it was still earsplitting.

I have perferated eardrums in both ears and I'm pretty certain that did it that night. :(

6. vow

vow Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £468.46
    Oasis at the Ricoh, they looked disinterested, sounded shit, some idiots were fighting and twats throwing beer (piss) around. Luckily I'd read about the piss/beer throwing and took a plastic poncho with hood!
    Plus, I felt The Enemy were fookin brill as the support act.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Mcbean and bringbackrattles like this.
  7. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £612.76
    The idiots fighting and throwing beer around weren't the Gallagher brothers were they?

8. vow

vow Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £468.46
    No, me and the missus.

Otis likes this.
  9. bringbackrattles

Credit:
    £1,085.37
    I was there that night too. Sorry for throwing the piss !
    It was more like being at a match than a concert. Loads of scraps going on that night, it was like being in the West End back in the day !

vow likes this.
  10. vow

vow Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £468.46
    I could possibly understand it in the mosh pit, but we were halfway back on the pitch!
    They were just throwing it around for "fun".

11. eastwoodsdustman

eastwoodsdustman Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £438.69
    Mansun at wolves civic. They came on sounded shit, moaned about sound system and left the stage after 4 or 5 songs. Wankers

12. bringbackrattles

Credit:
    £1,085.37
    Taking the piss ! Another one springs to mind. A group of us were at Milton Keynes bowl to watch a young U2 on their Blood Red Sky Tour. Great concert though, but ruined by tossers lobbing drinks about,and surging forward knocking people over. I wasn't the friendly bloke I am now back then,nor were 2 of my mates, so we ended up chinning a few of them. We got a cheer from many around us, and even the stewards let us off and threw them out !

13. bringbackrattles

Credit:
    £1,085.37
    The U2 gig was called The Longest Day concert. And it certainly was as it pissed down all day ! It ended up as a mud heap. Great music though but ruined by morons !

14. vow

vow Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £468.46
    I'm jelly, would have loved to see U2 in concert, any era, particularly the 90's, Achtung Baby and Zooropa tours.

15. bringbackrattles

Credit:
    £1,085.37
    Saw them again at Wembley on that Zooropa tour. It was okay but not as good as that Milton Keynes concert. I reckon U2 are a great band and Bono does get a lot of stick especially for his political/religious views, but I prefer to just listen to their music. I also saw Simple Minds at Milton Keynes Bowl, and they were excellent too.

16. rybccfc

rybccfc Active Member

Credit:
    £40.50
    Orson at rock city in Nottingham we didn't even make it to the end!

17. wingy

wingy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,219.75
    Skafish
    On a four or five band day long set at MK bowl
    Rightfully canned off stage much to the disdain of mc John Peel .
    Twas the days before people developed the trend of throwing pints of piss in the air. Had been an extremely wet couple of days prior to the gig and a superb pair of mud slides developed behind the two PA towers where folk waddled then slipped up and down the slope to the beer and food kiosks .

18. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £910.37
    Never been to a terrible concert because I always chose the bands/artists very carefully, however:
    Queued up hours in Birmingham for tickets to see Simon and Garfunkel.
    This was back in the 60's when they were at their absolute peak.
    The concert was cancelled because one of them was sick. Never did get to see them live.

Two horrible supporting act bands I saw were Giant (just loud noise) and The Pitiful Souls (they really were pitiful).

wingy likes this.
  19. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £612.76
    Yeah, but surely it doesn't matter how carefully you choose the bands does it? There are so many other factors too completely out of your control. Bad sound system, too loud, too quiet, band member out of their tree and unable to perform properly, ill and unable to perform properly, throwing a strop and not trying to perform properly.

Lots of factors involved.

When I went to see SAHB you don't look it up to see what volume they are going to play at.

20. Si80

Si80 Active Member

Credit:
    £6.50
    A few of note:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - V Festival years ago. Looked forwards to seeing them all weekend and they were shite

Chemical Brothers - V Festival years ago. Only “gig” I’ve ever walked away from. Awful.

Radiohead - Started with Creep. Went downhill after then. Reading Festival.

Athlete - Love this band. Went to Wimbledon to see them in a changed venue. Awful sound, to the point we got our money back from the organiser at the bands request!

21. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £612.76
    I saw Athlete live. They were good. Saw Radiohead too and I really liked them, but others hated the concert and booed all night. It was after The Bends and just as they released OK Computer.

Sometimes a band can change direction slightly and a lot of their fans can be left unhappy.

22. Alan Dugdales Moustache

Alan Dugdales Moustache Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £200.70
    The Enemy supporting oasis at the Ricoh. I know they're from cov but they were up themselves and thought they were well ''ard even though they're 4' 11".

23. rondog1973

rondog1973 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £125.50
    Dubstar at the Planet (the old Eclipse) 1997.

Weren't entirely their fault to be fair as there was a problem with the sound system. They were really lacklustre and clearly didn't want to be there which was understandable as only about 25 people turned up.

24. Sky_Blue_Daz

Sky_Blue_Daz Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £378.70
    Steve coogan at the Nia absolutely woeful .

25. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £612.76
    Yep, can definitely be an issue. A band can feed off the vibes of an audience and it can get the adreneline going.

26. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £112.29
    Black Keys at Reading festival. Soooooo boring. Was into them at that time and that gig put me off them a bit.

Oasis at NIA. 2nd to last gig I think. You could tell they didnt want to be there.

I guess those two were bands I liked not meeting expectations.

27. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £910.37
    Most of the cocerts I went to were at places like Birmingham Town Hall, Royal Albert Hall, Coventry Theatre or Carnegie Hall.
    Those places only host the finest performers and the acoustics and everything else is pretty flawless.
    The smaller venues I went to to see bands like The Who, Fairport Convention, Eclection etc. the intimacy of the place and the atmosphere was as important to me as the quality of the music.
    The real dross was always the 'supporting' acts that came on before the headliners.

28. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £189.10
    I went to a concert in the mid 80’s purely to see the support act - they didn’t disappoint.

The main act didn’t disappoint either in confirming they were absolute shite - Diamond Head - ugh

29. Mcbean

Mcbean Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £6.76
    Yes was there - and moved up to where Jimmy Hill resides once the piss was flying - yes Enemy were great but the sound for the back up band as usual was less than good

Great fan of Joe Walsh and the Eagles so what could possibly go wrong when i paid £60 for a ticket for me and the missus at Twickenham stadium - well i wish i had not bothered - the sound was so bad it was difficult to recognise any song ! was shite - plus i am a tapper my foot going in time with whatever song and some mong objected to his seat vibrating - out of time yes but in time Fuck off !