Worst concert (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

Following on from @bringbackrattles best ever concert thread what's the worst concert(s) you've been to. I have a few.

My mate used to buy tickets for concerts at the NEC and would sometimes get me one without asking so thanks to him I had to suffer Motley Crue and Dave Lee Roth, luckily not on the same night.

I went to see Black Sabbath at Stafford Bingley Hall in the early 80s in January. It snowed and the place was freezing. The support band, 7/20, played 3 songs before the drummer was hit by a thrown bottle so off they went. It took ages for Black Sabbath to take the stage and after about 5 songs the drummer's, Carmine Appice, water drum burst and he suffered burns to his legs and arms so off they went. The sound was bloody terrible. I made my way back to the train station and because of the snow all the trains were delayed or cancelled & finally at about 5am my train for Rugby finally arrived and it was freezing. I fell asleep and luckily woke up just as it was approaching Rugby station. I never got a chance to see them again.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I seen Steve coogan about 9 years ago at the NIA Birmingham absolutely woeful

bringbackrattles

Been to a few crap concerts over the years. Went to Leicester University in the late 90's to see Ozzy Osbourne and his band. Found out it was last night of a long tour and he came on stage drugged up and pissed, nothing wrong with that as it's Ozzy. But after a couple of weird songs he went off to never return. But we just went to the bar and just put it down to a bad night. 😣

chiefdave

Decendents at Shepherds Bush in 2011. Not the biggest fan to start off with, it was the ex-wife who wanted to go, but it was an absolute shambles. Singers voice was shot, he stormed off after a few songs.

I've worked on some pretty bad shows. Some highlights include a band who shall remain nameless (a known band playing academy sized venues). Bassist had a heroin problem and passed out on stage part way through a show. He did the same the next night but we'd had the bassist from the support band practicing the songs and we literally swapped them over midway!

Once took a band all the way to Dundee for a gig one person showed up at, he got kicked out before they played for trying to start a fight with me.

Had a band who were with a massive management company and agent to play a midlands venue who clearly only had them there to not piss off the management and agent. Zero promotion and didn't even bother to book a support band. Played to a couple of people who had randomly wandered in off the street.

Another memorable one was a solo show by the singer of an 80s hair metal band. For some reason he had a one off show in York. Despite being British his entire band was American and he'd paid to fly them all in for the show. I could count the number of people in the crowd on one hand.

Bumberclart

REM at the McAlpine Stadium Huddersfield.
The gig was on the day they released Monster.
They played the entire album, that nobody had heard, and nothing from Automatic for the People.
At the end, the crowd sang "who the fuck are REM" as they left the stage.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Most the poor performances I've seen are at festivals which is a little different as people aren't playing to a crowd of their dedicated fans but I have walked off after a few songs on all of the following

Hawkwind
Stevie Wonder
Elton John
Bruce Springsteen

Edit - and t the Who at wireless in leeds

bringbackrattles

Lou Reed at Warwick University was dreadful. Went thinking it would be a great night as he has some back catalogue of work. But he had other ideas, as it was 2 hours of new experimental stuff. A mixture of folk and classical music I think ? Me and a mate left our other mate to sit through the last hour while we went to the now packed bar. He said he did do Perfect Day, but it was far from a perfect night !

ovduk78

Most the poor performances I've seen are at festivals which is a little different as people aren't playing to a crowd of their dedicated fans but I have walked off after a few songs on all of the following

Hawkwind
Stevie Wonder
Elton John
Bruce Springsteen

Edit - and t the Who at wireless in leeds

Went to see Springsteen at MK bowl after seeing some of his energetic shows with the E street band and was really looking forward to it but he sat on a stool in the middle of the stage and played a boring acoustic set, left long before the end

clint van damme

Went to see Springsteen at MK bowl after seeing some of his energetic shows with the E street band and was really looking forward to it but he sat on a stool in the middle of the stage and played a boring acoustic set, left long before the end

To be fair to him it was Glastobury where I walked off
I'd been kicking the arse out of it and just didn't have the inclination to stick with it. Watched a couple of songs and went. Not really a reflection on him.

eastwoodsdustman

Mansun at wolves civic. Came on, did 2 songs, bitched about the sound system and then fooked off. I'm Still waiting for them to play the gig again like they promised but next time I'll be the one who doesn't turn up!
I'll also give an honourable mention to any early blur gigs. Saw them a fair few times and they weren't very good. They were so bad on the roller coaster tour that they ended up first every night instead of taking it in turns with the other bands.

clint van damme

Mansun at wolves civic. Came on, did 2 songs, bitched about the sound system and then fooked off. I'm Still waiting for them to play the gig again like they promised but next time I'll be the one who doesn't turn up!
I'll also give an honourable mention to any early blur gigs. Saw them a fair few times and they weren't very good. They were so bad on the roller coaster tour that they ended up first every night instead of taking it in turns with the other bands.

Love Blur! Saw them live several times and they were great though not that early in their career.
Also saw Mansun and they were decent. Up at Warwick uni. We'd beaten Wednesday on sky earlier in the day.
I love game/gig double up!

bringbackrattles

Love Blur! Saw them live several times and they were great though not that early in their career.
Also saw Mansun and they were decent. Up at Warwick uni. We'd beaten Wednesday on sky earlier in the day.
I love game/gig double up!
Saw the Pretenders at the NEC the night before the 87 quarter final v Sheff Wednesday. Enjoyed the concert and still hung over went with a coach load from Bunters Bar/ The Pippin to the game. So had a great weekend. 😃

NorthernWisdom

Steve Hogarth solo. A scorching hot day, he turned up about 9pm, somebody said about bloody time, he replied we should be grateful he was there at all. First song meet with some applause, he asked us to be quiet as he was concentrating, before treating us to an hour of meandering pretentious wank.

Grendel

Steve Hogarth solo. A scorching hot day, he turned up about 9pm, somebody said about bloody time, he replied we should be grateful he was there at all. First song meet with some applause, he asked us to be quiet as he was concentrating, before treating us to an hour of meandering pretentious wank.

Standard

Mcbean

went to see the Eagles at Twickenham stadium for a fortune ! - the sound was so bad it echoed backwards and forwards twice - you couldnt make out the songs until the chorus - im a bit of a tapper and tap my leg in all sorts of circumstances like a tick - some bloke sitting 4 or 5 seats from me complained that i was disturbing him c**t !

It’sabatch87

Saw the Pretenders at the NEC the night before the 87 quarter final v Sheff Wednesday. Enjoyed the concert and still hung over went with a coach load from Bunters Bar/ The Pippin to the game. So had a great weekend. 😃
Funnily enough I went from the pippin two years before that cup game away at old Trafford think Gibbo played against us after we’d sold him to them,Coach got bricked at services on the M6 by some Chelsea fans en route to Liverpool some good toe to toe in that car park 👍🤪

bringbackrattles

Funnily enough I went from the pippin two years before that cup game away at old Trafford think Gibbo played against us after we’d sold him to them,Coach got bricked at services on the M6 by some Chelsea fans en route to Liverpool some good toe to toe in that car park 👍🤪
I was in the Pippin one Friday night when it turned into Bunters Bar. A large group of Sheffield Wednesday supporters were getting rowdy in the pub, they stopped over as they were playing us the next day. Anyway one of them chinned a Cov lad which was a bad mistake as that spread quickly around the pub. You can guess the rest as let's just say they either got decked or ran away. Geoff Thompson ran the door then and just said to the Sheffield lads you picked the wrong pub to cause trouble.

It’sabatch87

I was in the Pippin one Friday night when it turned into Bunters Bar. A large group of Sheffield Wednesday supporters were getting rowdy in the pub, they stopped over as they were playing us the next day. Anyway one of them chinned a Cov lad which was a bad mistake as that spread quickly around the pub. You can guess the rest as let's just say they either got decked or ran away. Geoff Thompson ran the door then and just said to the Sheffield lads you picked the wrong pub to cause trouble.
His book is a good read BBR!!

JulianDarbyFTW

My (joint) favourite band, Counting Crows, played at the Wulfrun. Fucking terrible it was. The singer was about 5 seconds behind the music for the entire night - you know when you watch a dodgy DVD from the market and the audio lags behind the picture? Like that but worse.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Oasis at the Ricoh just before they broke up as I was getting to my seat some prick threw beer and it went all over me and my wife . So we tried to go down on the pitch and some jobsworth steward wouldn’t let us on just before they came on another steward came over and told the lad to let us on but it really put a dampener on it .

LastGarrison

Ian Brown at Glasto.

Tried to burn a British flag on stage in an attempt to make a statement about not needing a flag to follow or some shit and just ended up getting booed.

He’s not the strongest vocalist at the best of times but this was particularly shite.

He then wittered something about staying off the brown acid and fucked off.

clint van damme

Ian Brown at Glasto.

Tried to burn a British flag on stage in an attempt to make a statement about not needing a flag to follow or some shit and just ended up getting booed.

He’s not the strongest vocalist at the best of times but this was particularly shite.

He then wittered something about staying off the brown acid and fucked off.

What year was that? Saw him on the other stage 2005 and it was class but he always has been a bit hit and miss live

Blind-Faith

Fall out boy. I know not everyone’s cup of tea, but drove down to Bournemouth, was probably to excited about it and they turned out to be absolute wank live.

Though I’ve just remembered, it was the night before April fools day, we got up the next morning and the lad who had drove down, got up early and moved his car and then went on to pretend it had been stolen up to the point where I was about to call the police. Tosser he is

Nick

Administrator
Fall out boy. I know not everyone’s cup of tea, but drove down to Bournemouth, was probably to excited about it and they turned out to be absolute wank live.

Though I’ve just remembered, it was the night before April fools day, we got up the next morning and the lad who had drove down, got up early and moved his car and then went on to pretend it had been stolen up to the point where I was about to call the police. Tosser he is
Were they more than you bargained for yeah?

LastGarrison

What year was that? Saw him on the other stage 2005 and it was class but he always has been a bit hit and miss live
Think it was the year the fences were down so maybe 2000? We’d hired a van jumped in the back, got there, parked up and was inside Glastonbury within about 20 mins.

Nope just googled it, it was 2002. Which was also the time of one of the most surreal moments of my life when I woke up in a sweating tent, on a boiling hot Sunday about midday, on a severe comedown to the sound of Rolf Harris playing his wobble board.

If only we knew.....

B-Ban-Boogie

Saw Depeche Mode at the Tampa Ampitheatre a few years back.
A bit like the REM concert above, they played a load of songs off the new album that nobody knew and the songs were depressing as fuck.
I remember laughing at multiple shouts of "I wanna fucking kill myself" during the show!! haha.

SBT

REM at the McAlpine Stadium Huddersfield.
The gig was on the day they released Monster.
They played the entire album, that nobody had heard, and nothing from Automatic for the People.
At the end, the crowd sang "who the fuck are REM" as they left the stage.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

This sounded hilarious, so I looked it up. Turns out the gig was several months after they released Monster, and they played several songs off Automatic For The People. The local paper described the set as perfection. Memory is a funny thing.

Users who are viewing this thread