Women's World Cup 2023 (2 Viewers)

Otis

So the ban for James is two games. A bit surprised at that.

1ccfc

James is obviously in the wrong and you can never condone what she did and consequently deserves the extra ban. I think what she did was more petulant than dangerous. Yes, by the letter of the law James ‘stamped’ on the opponent, but for me it wasn’t an aggressive forceful stamp. I think a bit of common sense has prevailed.

David O'Day

James is obviously in the wrong and you can never condone what she did and consequently deserves the extra ban. I think what she did was more petulant than dangerous. Yes, by the letter of the law James ‘stamped’ on the opponent, but for me it wasn’t an aggressive forceful stamp. I think a bit of common sense has prevailed.
WTF? it was nasty as anything and sly.

Otis

I was expecting a 3 game ban, so am surprised at this decision.

She didn't use much force, but yes, it was still a stamp and very slyly done.

Hertsccfc

I was expecting a 3 game ban, so am surprised at this decision.

She didn't use much force, but yes, it was still a stamp and very slyly done.
Yes I thought it would be three matches. It's a shame because she played so well in the other matches but it was fully deserving of the longer ban.

oakey

Very poor response from our fans when the score came through. Would it have killed people to give a little cheer? The reaction was, "Meh".

oakey

Why try and force it?
Force it? I don't follow certain other sports but I think I might manage a cheer if I saw our national team had reached a world cup semi final.
As it was we were at a football match when an England team reached a football world cup semi final. It seemed a churlish non-reaction.

Nick

Administrator
Force it? I don't follow certain other sports but I think I might manage a cheer if I saw our national team had reached a world cup semi final.
As it was we were at a football match when an England team reached a football world cup semi final. It seemed a churlish non-reaction.
Maybe people at the game didn't realise or didn't really care.

Yeah, getting upset people didn't cheer is trying to force it.

oakey

Maybe people at the game didn't realise or didn't really care.

Yeah, getting upset people didn't cheer is trying to force it.
Upset? Disappointed would be more accurate. Thought we were more enlightened and would celebrate a success. Football has gone a long way to welcome everyone. If people aren't bothered, then so be it.

Nick

Administrator
Upset? Disappointed would be more accurate. Thought we were more enlightened and would celebrate a success. Football has gone a long way to welcome everyone. If people aren't bothered, then so be it.
You can't force people to be bothered despite what the media think.

oakey

You can't force people to be bothered despite what the media think.
You seem to resent that this is being given a decent profile by the media? Yet you are also on this thread so what's your take? Do you only follow it to sneer at it?

Nick

Administrator
You seem to resent that this is being given a decent profile by the media? Yet you are also on this thread so what's your take? Do you only follow it to sneer at it?
Not really resent. It's desperate. Some of the paid ads on apps like tiktok.

Clearly people don't care as much as the media may portray.

oakey

Will take your word for it. I don't really do media except TV. I haven't been aware of any coverage let alone desperate.
It would have been easy to miss it there as the matches are mornings.

Otis

I was concentrating on our match but did give a little fist pump when I found out they'd won
I like the women's football , obviously not the same as ours but I enjoy it for what it is
Yup, exactly.

I am sure if City weren't playing at the same time, many people would have been home and watching the England game on the TV and cheering them on.

Remember, most of us are men and not women, so can only concentrate on one thing at a time, Oakey. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread