Women's football gaining popularity? (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

How much was it to get in, there was only the option for f boring international football as an option

xcraigx

Beat the previous record by about 26,000. I hear they are expecting more at Stamford Bridge later for Chelsea - Spurs too. I think the tickets were very cheap / free but the game is heading in the right direction.

Travs

It was £7 to get in, and a paying adult could take up to 3 kids for free.

Whilst it’s all credit to Man City for keeping the prices low, and a positive attendance, it’s a bit of a falsehood given how cheap it was, and on an international break.

What pissed me off was radio 5 deemed it important enough to give full commentary, rather than providing a score service on leagues 1 and 2.... i was in the Black Country and couldn’t pick up CWR until about 40mins in (which was actually probably a blessing)

Brighton Sky Blue

Beat the previous record by about 26,000. I hear they are expecting more at Stamford Bridge later for Chelsea - Spurs too. I think the tickets were very cheap / free but the game is heading in the right direction.

A shame they are trying to make it a carbon copy of the men's game with the same 'big' teams which has been achieved by forcing out the clubs that have taken women's football seriously for much longer. It could've been turned into something interesting but money talks

Gazolba

Gazolba

77,000 tickets sold so far for England's game against Germany at Wembley on 9th November.
And yet some people still claim no-one cares about women's football.

Travs

Seems to have really quietened down on the media (even the bbc) since that Manchester Derby on the international weekend... few results getting highlighted but not hearing much.

With regards to the Germany match, I think the price might have something to do with it.... £15 adults and kids for a quid...

Covstu

Seems to have really quietened down on the media (even the bbc) since that Manchester Derby on the international weekend... few results getting highlighted but not hearing much.

With regards to the Germany match, I think the price might have something to do with it.... £15 adults and kids for a quid...
By using that logic, we would fill every EFL cup game? World Cup has had a massive effect on attendance

Travs

I wasn’t really proposing any logic... just the thought that many families will take the opportunity for a relatively cheap trip to Wembley.

How are the attendances doing for the women’s premier league after the opening day publicity...? Genuine question, I have no idea...

Gazolba

I wasn’t really proposing any logic... just the thought that many families will take the opportunity for a relatively cheap trip to Wembley.

How are the attendances doing for the women’s premier league after the opening day publicity...? Genuine question, I have no idea...
Don't know since on the BBC website most women's matches are not clickable.
Even most women's international matches are not clickable.
You'd probably have to go to the club's websites to find out.

Covstu

I think United Liverpool was a decent turnout but I have no idea either without looking it up. Equally have no idea when the fixtures are played! I don’t see anything for Coventrys ladies team and result on CET pages etc. Shame really

Covstu

Don't know since on the BBC website most women's matches are not clickable.
Even most women's international matches are not clickable.
You'd probably have to go to the club's websites to find out.
How the hell can the game get popular if even the basics aren’t there. Sky sports did a lot of women’s sports but that has seemed to have died down too. If you know in advance then people may turn up, I have two girls and the May want to go but couldn’t tell them when!

Travs

Without wanting to get too cynical, I suspect if the WPL attendances were anywhere near decent, the BBC would be all over it...

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It probably is gaining popularity but it is also being rammed down our throats a ridiculous amount. All this equality stuff is bollocks to be honest.

I fully support the womens game but it is a lot different and I think it's a bit desperate and patronising the way it keeps being gone on about.

I used to go and watch 'The Koppaberg's' - the Gothenburg's women's team, when I lived in Sweden. I did really quite enjoy it but it isn't the same. I always highlighted the goalkeeping being so poor at the time, but for some reason people get funny when you bring it up.

Gazolba

It probably is gaining popularity but it is also being rammed down our throats a ridiculous amount. All this equality stuff is bollocks to be honest.

I fully support the womens game but it is a lot different and I think it's a bit desperate and patronising the way it keeps being gone on about.

I used to go and watch 'The Koppaberg's' - the Gothenburg's women's team, when I lived in Sweden. I did really quite enjoy it but it isn't the same. I always highlighted the goalkeeping being so poor at the time, but for some reason people get funny when you bring it up.
Some of the goal-keeping is poor and some is excellent, just like in the men's game.
Of course it's different to the men's game - because women are different to men.
Women have only been playing seriously since the 1970's, so men have had 100 years start.
Many countries had an outright ban on women playing the sport at all.
The overall standard is improving every year as more women take up the sport.

dutchman

PSV Ladies just beat Ajax Ladies 4-1, away from home! :p
72908509_688994501588709_7169237063491911680_n.jpg

M&B Stand

The BBC are pushing it for all it’s worth, it’s all a bit patronising. It’s grown huge in the US on it’s own. It’s really growing sport over here, let it build itself.
Have a separate FA, and don’t rely on being funded off the back of the men’s game.

Terry Gibson's perm

The BBC are pushing it for all it’s worth, it’s all a bit patronising. It’s grown huge in the US on it’s own. It’s really growing sport over here, let it build itself.
Have a separate FA, and don’t rely on being funded off the back of the men’s game.

It couldn’t possibly self fund they would be gone within a year, the bits I have seen I thought was fairly low level quality.

Grendel

It’s rubbish

Gazolba

A record attendance is expected for England's game against Germany at Wembley.
The current record is 80,203. The Wembley game could exceed that.
The game is said to be sold out at the 90,000 capacity stadium.
www.bbc.com/sport/football/50071563

hill83

I’ve got no issue with it or with the bbc pushing it other than when there’s a headline like: “England star striker injured and out of qualifying for the season” and it’s not Harry Kane it’s one of the women. It should be stated it’s the women’s game beforehand.

Covstu

I’ve got no issue with it or with the bbc pushing it other than when there’s a headline like: “England star striker injured and out of qualifying for the season” and it’s not Harry Kane it’s one of the women. It should be stated it’s the women’s game beforehand.
You wouldn’t click if they did!

tisza

Women's football always going to be difficult to grow.
People go on about US women's team and their popularity but underneath that is an established league that has only 9 professional teams with an average attendance of just under 8k. In a country that is governed by market forces it still hasn't caught on that well.
Most things involving international teams at Wembley are going to attract big crowds. I remember the days of England schoolboy games against Scotland that used to sell out there.
Women's football has the difficult task of attracting a new type of audience (probably mainly female). It can't sit back and expect to tap into existing markets who are going to say "well they're not bad for women" - and they shouldn't want to. It needs to establish its own identity. One of the disappointments is that it has tried to mimic the men's game too much.

tisza

It's like those tabloid headlines about "football star gets in trouble for ...." and turns out they were on Rochdale's books 10 years ago or had a spell in someone's youth team.

oscillatewildly

It's like those tabloid headlines about "football star gets in trouble for ...." and turns out they were on Rochdale's books 10 years ago or had a spell in someone's youth team.
A few years back our very own odious rag led the back page headline - 'City sign Shearer'.
Of course it turned out to be the (largely) unknown Scott Shearer.

Terry Gibson's perm

Did Phil Neville really just say that there can be no more beating around the bush in Sky interview

Users who are viewing this thread