Wise baggage? (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Managerial career

[edit]Swindon Town
On 22 May 2006, Wise was appointed Swindon Town manager on a three-year contract, with ex-Chelsea team mate Gustavo Poyet as his assistant.[23] He made an excellent start to the season by winning 6 out of 7 games and topping the League Two table with 18 points after a 2–0 away win against Chester City on 1 September. As a result of this tremendous start, Wise was awarded the Manager of the Month award.[24]
Wise's first defeat as Swindon boss came against Wrexham in their league clash at the Racecourse Ground. His second defeat and first home defeat in charge of the Robins came against Peterborough United on 16 September 2006. This loss left Swindon second in the table behind Wycombe Wanderers.
[edit]Leeds United
On 20 September 2006, Wise was linked with the vacant Leeds United managerial post, following the sacking of Kevin Blackwell.[25] On 21 October, Swindon gave Wise, and his assistant Poyet, permission to speak to Leeds, following their request.[26] However, talks broke down between the clubs when they were unable to agree a suitable financial package and on 23 October, Swindon withdrew permission for Leeds to talk with, or seek to appoint, Wise and Poyet, stating that "Dennis and Gus remain valued members of Swindon Town FC as both players and part of the management team". In a bid to keep hold of the pair, the club offered them both significantly improved terms.[27] Later that day, Swindon confirmed that they had reached a suitable financial settlement package with Leeds for the services of Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet and that they looked set to join.[28] Following the successful negotiation of acceptable compensation in line with the expectations of Swindon Town, on 24 October, the boards of both clubs officially confirmed that Dennis Wise, Gus Poyet and Andrew Beasley had joined Leeds United as manager, assistant manager and goalkeeping coach respectively.[29][30][31]
On the evening of his arrival, Wise watched from the stands at Elland Road as he saw his new side crash to a 3–1 defeat in the Carling Cup against fellow Championship side Southend United.[32] He received a standing ovation from fans and in a press conference unveiling him to the media, he said that he believed that it did not matter that he formerly played for Chelsea. In the interview he stated that his aim was to bring Leeds back into the Premiership. His first action as manager was to replace captain Paul Butler and his vice-captain Gary Kelly with the feisty, hard-tackling midfielder Kevin Nicholls, along with Shaun Derry as his deputy.
Wise's first game in charge came 4 days later, ironically against Southend at Elland Road again, though this time it was a league fixture and Leeds won the game 2–0. However, they continued to struggle for the remainder of the season under Wise and relegation was confirmed on 4 May 2007 with only one game remaining, when the Football League gave the club a 10-point penalty for going into administration.[33] Leeds finished bottom of the league and they were relegated into League One for the first time in their history. Nonetheless, chairman Ken Bates retained Wise for the 2007–08 season.
On 4 August, Leeds were granted their golden share, but they were given another penalty, this time 15 points, after administrators KPMG refused to resurrect the CVA for the 'old' Leeds United company.[34] Despite this, they made an excellent start, winning their first 7 league games and Wise was named as manager of the month for both August and September.[35][36] However, on 29 October 2007, Poyet left Leeds to become Juande Ramos's assistant at Tottenham.[37] Three days later, Wise's ex-manager at Wimbledon, Dave Bassett, became his number two.[38] The partnership did not start well and Leeds finally lost their unbeaten record, losing 3–1 to Carlisle United at Brunton Park on 3 November.
Leeds briefly topped the table on Boxing Day, after drawing 1–1 in an early kick-off against Hartlepool United at the Victoria Ground and they went into 2008 3rd in the league. Wise left the club on 28 January 2008 in a surprise move to take up a role at Newcastle United, his last game in charge being a 1–1 draw against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road on 26 January.[39][40]
[edit]Executive roles

[edit]Newcastle United
On 29 January 2008 Newcastle United announced that Wise would be joining the club as Executive Director (Football),[41] an advisor to the board on footballing matters, reporting directly to the club chairman Chris Mort. Although speculated to be in the role of Director of Football or General Manager, the job is thought to be more restricted, involving transfers, scouting and youth development,[42] alongside simultaneous appointment of Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere as Technical Co-ordinator, following the earlier shock return of first team manager Kevin Keegan. Keegan had previously expressed disquiet with the concept of a Director of Football, both in commenting about the previous Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce, and latterly the proposition of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley appointing one during his tenure at the club.
In the surprise career move, Wise had been attributed as having lost interest in direct football management since the loss of his assistant Gustavo Poyet to Tottenham Hotspur, and considered the executive position at Newcastle an opportunity "he had to take".[42] Wise's role, as stated by Ashley, was to be a '"football-related" executive director'.[43] In a February 2008 interview, Christopher Mort revealed that Newcastle had "heard on the grapevine" that Wise was considering a "move upstairs".[4] Wise was selected as his relative youth and being a "bundle of energy" suited the new role that would involve "travelling around Europe and further afield".[4] Wise, with Vetere, was tasked with helping identify young players for approval by first team manager Kevin Keegan.[4] Wise's role would also entail him helping develop the academy.[4]
The departure of Keegan from the club, on 4 September, saw Wise and club owner Ashley come under mounting pressure from the club's supporters to quit. Keegan, a manager with an exalted status among supporters of the club, stated that, "It's my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want," adding that he had "no choice other than to leave".[43] Keegan was furious to discover that James Milner, a player he had previously stated was not for sale, had been allowed to sign a contract with Aston Villa, and he was not given adequate time or funds to bring in new players; Keegan had let his dislike of the management structure be known in the months leading up to his resignation.[43] Speculation of Keegan's resignation built in the days leading up, and a large number of fans began protesting at Ashley's employment of Wise, and his alleged interference.[44] The club issued a statement in response to Keegan's claim, and the widespread belief that Wise was responsible for transfer activity, by saying that Keegan was aware of the structure when he re-joined the club.[45] Thousands of fans protested against Ashley and Wise, dubbed the "cockney mafia", in the 2–1 home defeat to Hull City on 13 September, although neither Ashley nor Wise attended the match.[46] Days later Ashley released an emotional statement in which he announced that he was putting the club up for sale; Wise came in for praise from Ashley, who said that he had successfully scouted and closed out deals for a number of recent signings.[47]
Wise further angered Newcastle United fans when he was shown often attending Chelsea home games (and the FA Cup Final). Later, it was revealed he spent the vital last day of the 2009 season in Dubai celebrating his wife's birthday, showing a surprising disinterest in the outcome of a club in which he had very recently been involved. In fact both of Wise's signings (Xisco and Ignacio Gonzalez) failed to feature in the club's final game. While these signings have received fairly negative views from Newcastle fans, the late Sir Bobby Robson and newspaper pundits have slated them as second rate signings.[48]
On 1 April 2009, following the appointment of Alan Shearer as manager on an interim basis, Newcastle released a statement that Wise had left his role as Executive Director of Football with immediate effect. The club also confirmed that there were no plans to replace Wise.[49]
In an interview with the Guardian on 28 July 2009, it was revealed Wise is still receiving £20,000 per week from Newcastle United and was cited as one of the many reasons buyers were reluctant to purchase the club.[50]
After the death of Sir Bobby Robson, The Sun's Bob Harris wrote how Robson told him: "My biggest disappointment was Dennis Wise, a director of football who was hardly seen at the ground, and who brought in players who were neither suitable, nor right, for Newcastle United. I forgive most people, but I am not sure I can forgive Wise for what he did to my club."[51]
Wise attended a football arbitration hearing in September and October 2009 established to resolve the dispute between Keegan and the Newcastle board. Wise's actions in signing Nacho Gonzalez, claiming he wanted to 'do a favour' for two South American agents, and asking Keegan to sign players from YouTube.com, as well as confessions from the board that they had lied to the fans, press, staff and players regarding Keegan's allegations, claiming it was just 'PR,' led to the panel ruling in favour of Keegan.[52]
Wise's image thereafter has been damaged, and himself admitted "It has all had a damaging effect on my career".[6]

Paxman II

That may be how things have been set out in the media and reports but I could easily argue that keagan really dented his own standing with throwing the baby out the pram a few times too. Food for thought though.

Astute

I had a debate about Wise baggage with the wife the other day. I proved her wrong. I just asked her that why did she marry me if she is so wise.

dongonzalos

Interesting about his loss of interest in management once Gus went.

He is not for me........

I will back him if he gets it though.

theprince

But his actual managerial record i.e team on the pitch is okay, that Newcastle episode was always a poisoned chalice at that time they had alsorts of finance problems.

@richh87

Why isn't his stint at Millwall included? He did a great job there WITHOUT Poyet.

Otis

The problem I see with Wise is his demands.

I would expect he would want the full backing of the board for transfers etc. Not so sure he will be able to cope with next to no budget.

I've got a feeling it won't be wise or Wilder or any of the other strong favourites . A lot of the summer signings were surprises I think this will be too. What's Big Ron up to nowadays.?

torchomatic

Er........................

that Newcastle episode was always a poisoned chalice at that time they had alsorts of finance problems.

Grendel

But his actual managerial record i.e team on the pitch is okay, that Newcastle episode was always a poisoned chalice at that time they had alsorts of finance problems.

The financial problems didn't effect him. He was reportedly getting half a million a year to sit in London all week selecting players for the manager.

The role and his decision to take it was totally misguided.

Users who are viewing this thread