Wingers (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Our play really lacks some proper width and wing play.

I thought I would go down memory lane and look at our best ever wingers to wear the sky blue shirt...

I will start:

RUNAR NORMANN :pimp:

Marty

Yeah Steve Froggatt. Even Paul Telfer would be an improvement on these current bunch of jokers.

ccfcway

Oh, I so long for the "good old days" of pace and excitment !

-------------------------Dion Dublin---Darren Huckerby---------------------
John Saklako ---Kevin Richardson----Gary McCallister------Peter Ndlovu
Marcus Hall-------Gary Breen--------Richard Shaw----Roland Nilsson---
---------------------------Oggy-----------------------------------------------

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I did see Peter Barnes play - didn't appear up to much though. What about Daniel Sturridge? He'd have played out wide for the youth team. Spurious, I agree, but the closest current link to a top-flight player

Marty

Oh, I so long for the "good old days" of pace and excitment !

-------------------------Dion Dublin---Darren Huckerby---------------------
John Saklako ---Kevin Richardson----Gary McCallister------Peter Ndlovu
Marcus Hall-------Gary Breen--------Richard Shaw----Roland Nilsson---
---------------------------Oggy-----------------------------------------------

Please. It was all about David Burrows or was it Brian Borrows :thinking about::thinking about:

LilleSkyBlue

Our play really lacks some proper width and wing play.

I thought I would go down memory lane and look at our best ever wingers to wear the sky blue shirt...

I will start:

RUNAR NORMANN :pimp:

I was on about him over on the One from Two thread!! I liked Courtney Vine when he came on loan

LilleSkyBlue

David Smith was phenomenal for a time. Did stuff that wingers were meant to do like carrying the ball, getting round the outside, teasing defenders, good crosses, tricks and jinks plus a few goals.

theprince

Willy Humphries and Ronnie Rees were the big reasons behind the Sky Blue success story. They were both fantastic. Pace, skill, direct get one of those today never mind two and we wouldfly to the top of the league. Why is it modern day managers don't play with atleast one winger amazes me.

Ronfarmer

I remember that the fans were often highly critical of Ronnie Rees. "An international player who hasn't put in an international performance for years."

From that period I would rather have Ian Gibson and his creative passing.

The best winger I have seen by far is Tommy H .

Moff

I was lucky enough to see Hutch when I was very young. What a player.

benno was a great winger as well, as was Froggatt.

For comedy effect Leigh Jenkinson or Ray Woods. Still they would easily beat our current crop!

skybluesam66

but in every game this season, the opposition has had width and pace, we havent - hence the defeat - should be criteria for a new manager

Passion/Never say die/ Attacking game with width and pace/ Organisation/ Respect/ A Brain/ Understanding of the customer

You can see why the Clough's and Ferguson's do so well, as they tick (ed) all of the boxes

tommydazzle

Tommy 'the spider' Hutch - once saw him marked tightly by two defenders just outside the box, he jinked inside without the ball, took the defenders with him then darted back to retrieve and cross into the box - only ever saw Pele do something similar.

sky_blue_up_north

Hutch was the greatest no doubt about that. But as another poster said, Willie Humphries, he is one of my earliest hero's. I can still remember sitting the stand with my Granddad, as Willie Humphries skinned a full back again and again, ' Some player he is' or something like that, it was over 50 years ago!! I also remember Ronnie Rees the Welsh wizard on the wing, however was not happy when he was part of a WBA side that thumped us 6-1 at the Hawthorns.

skyblueinBaku

Willy Humphries and Ronnie Rees were the big reasons behind the Sky Blue success story. They were both fantastic. Pace, skill, direct get one of those today never mind two and we wouldfly to the top of the league. Why is it modern day managers don't play with atleast one winger amazes me.

You are quite right, prince. Both of those would skin any defender in this division so easily it would be embarrasing. If only.................

Mucca Mad Boys

but in every game this season, the opposition has had width and pace, we havent - hence the defeat - should be criteria for a new manager

Passion/Never say die/ Attacking game with width and pace/ Organisation/ Respect/ A Brain/ Understanding of the customer

You can see why the Clough's and Ferguson's do so well, as they tick (ed) all of the boxes

Not necessarily true, if pace out wide would win games, England would win every WC + Euros, skill coupled with motivation means more than anything.

Also, a really slow Italy side, playing the diamond with less width dominated a pacy England side with width and pace out wide because they are more skillful.

England are backwards because our players lack skill and all the prem teams by foreign players with skill (good for TV not national team) rather than develop genuinely talented English footballers.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not necessarily true, if pace out wide would win games, England would win every WC + Euros, skill coupled with motivation means more than anything.

Also, a really slow Italy side, playing the diamond with less width dominated a pacy England side with width and pace out wide because they are more skillful.

England are backwards because our players lack skill and all the prem teams by foreign players with skill (good for TV not national team) rather than develop genuinely talented English footballers.
Yes but pace and strength is important in the lower leagues because skill and quality is scarce in these league

SkyBlue_Bear83

Also I don't remember Italy playing diamond, they played a 5-3-2 with wing backs didn't they?

Users who are viewing this thread