Win promotion or the FA Cup ? (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

FA Cup and it's not even remotely close.

Clubs spend years in the top flight without winning a major trophy.

We'd be in Europe too.

pusbccfc

If someone said you win the fa cup but you go down to the conference in relegations I’d take the fa cup. It’s about what’s on your honours list it never goes.

This.

When people consider benchmarks of a size of a club, the first thing they think of is trophies.

We would be an absolutely nothing club had we not won the FA Cup. We'd be another Watford, Fulham, Brentford, Palace or Brighton.

hamertime

This.

When people consider benchmarks of a size of a club, the first thing they think of is trophies.

We would be an absolutely nothing club had we not won the FA Cup. We'd be another Watford, Fulham, Brentford, Palace or Brighton.
Look at West Brom’s, Burnley, Sheff Wed forest wolves. Sunderland won league 6 times you can’t take that away .

Astute

Seen us win the FA Cup. Never seen us get promoted to the top flight.

And who in their right mind wouldn't want to see us get hammered in the Prem? 🤪

ccfc1234

Head says promotion and try and do a Fulham and establish ourselves in the top flight.

Heart says cup. I have never seen us win a major trophy and the prospect of flying to Cyprus etc to play an average team in Europe with 1000s of city fans having a party in European cities sounds like a fun time!

SeaSeeEffCee

Genuinely think you’re insane if you say promotion over the cup, assuming one is 100% guaranteed. There are teams in the Prem who have existed for over 100 years and have never won the cup. Football is about winning trophies, not just getting to the Prem to make up the numbers for a few years (if we’re lucky). We’ll get back the Prem again eventually any way, we may never win another cup.

Otis

Genuinely think you’re insane if you say promotion over the cup, assuming one is 100% guaranteed. There are teams in the Prem who have existed for over 100 years and have never won the cup. Football is about winning trophies, not just getting to the Prem to make up the numbers for a few years (if we’re lucky). We’ll get back the Prem again eventually any way, we may never win another cup.
The likelihood and seemingly most obvious outcome would be, if we went up we would get walked over most weeks and would come straight back down again.

I want us to play top level football, but I want to see us do it when we really feel we could actively compete and not just be canon fodder.

Winny the Bish

Blows my mind how this is even a question.
Maybe it’s a generational thing. But league all day everyday.
FA Cup for me. I can pass on watching us get tanked 4-0 every other week in the Prem and having to put up with VAR while it happens.

Cup win would give us bragging rights over other championship sides on Twitter for at least 5 years.

hill83

FA Cup for me. I can pass on watching us get tanked 4-0 every other week in the Prem and having to put up with VAR while it happens.

Cup win would give us bragging rights over other championship sides on Twitter for at least 5 years.

Pop the youth team out for Stoke tomorrow then

Houdi

Football is, or should be all about glory. Winning the FA Cup again will be forever on our honors board. Winning promotion of course would be great, but I doubt it would go on any honors board, unless we go up as champions.
If we do get promoted ,after the initial excitement wears off , next season would likely be a season of struggle , and many defeats some likely to be heavy.
You just have to look at the crowd recently at Sheff Utd, when they were losing 5-0 at home, not many happy faces, and the ground half empty.
Fans soon get tired of watching their fans lose most weeks.

covcity4life

Isn't it great to have a thread like this?

Long gone are days of threads about emergency loan rules and administration what does it mean OSB?!!(RIP legend,)

Things have changed so much in last 7 years. Were times never thought good times could return in my lifetime and now were asking which we would prefer out of cup or promotion to premier league and all of us probably dreaming of both

Good times. Enjoy them

Pusb

Last edited:

Hutch11

Win the cup there'd be no Robins out posts
Get promoted, get mullered every week and you just know there'll be morons calling for his head
Whilst the money would be great and could set us up for a good while there's no real kudos in being an also ran
Win the cup = glory

RegTheDonk

We've got it in our cabinet already and we won the cup when it was actually special. Both major TV channels devoted the day to it. Papers filled the back pages in the lead up. Special records recorded with the team crooning. Seems everbody knew who were in the final and what the score was. Used to make a day of watching it back then but now, couldn't tell you who even won it last year.

Promotion first and then, with a hopefully improved squad, lets think about winning it again .... as a distraction to a relegation battle!

TomRad85

I'm flip flopping and arguing over a hypothetical 'would you rather' is ridiculous btw, but I think I've settled on cup. Honestly I'd cry with happiness it we got promoted but football is about winning things, even teams like Spurs or Newcastle haven't won anything for fucking decades, it would be once in a lifetime stuff.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Isn't it great to have a thread like this?

Long gone are days of threads about emergency loan rules and administration what does it mean OSB?!!(RIP legend,)

Things have changed so much in last 7 years. We're times never thought good times could return in my lifetime and now were asking which we would prefer out of cup or promotion to premier league and all of us probably dreaming of both

Good times. Enjoy them

Pusb
It means , for the first time in donkeys years we have some optimism, perhaps as yet unfounded, that we can compete in the world of football like everyone else. A few years ago I could see us dropping out of the football league .
We might make the cup quarter or even semi final. We might make the play off final. The very fact it's possible is a minor miracle.

Users who are viewing this thread