Win promotion or the FA Cup ? (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

One is possible the other less so but if you could chose just one, which would it be ?

For me it would be the FA Cup . Financially not worth as much but 1987 put us on the map and you are what you've won.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

One is possible the other less so but if you could chose just one, which would it be ?

For me it would be the FA Cup . Financially not worth as much but 1987 put us on the map and you are what you've won.

Well that's a no brainer, not going to win the FA cup, so promotion it is and at least a100m in the bank.

shepardo01

Promotion - sets the club up for years to come (if managed properly)
Also there is a generation (or two) that haven't seen us involved in top flight football.
Playing in the Premiership would put us more on the map than winning the FA Cup and continuing in the Championship in my opinion.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Well that's a no brainer, not going to win the FA cup, so promotion it is and at least a100m in the bank.
Spot on . Unfortunately I like the FA cup far too much !

JAM See

Promotion.

I've argued elsewhere that we should play our strongest team in the FA cup, because I don't believe we will get promoted this year, therefore prioritise a lovely FA cup run (it's been a while).

However, in your imaginary binary choice, I would, somewhat predictably, choose a season with the big boys.

The Great Eastern

League promotion every time. We're not going to win the FA cup anytime soon while the likes of the Mancs or Liverpool are still in the competition.
Just one season in the Prem plus parachute payments will do wonders for the clubs finances.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

You wait until we get to the semi final.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

Hobo

Promotion.

fatso

Promotion without a doubt.

The F.A. cup would be great but to be honest it doesn't quite have the kudos that it had back in 87, and the Premier league money could transform the club.

Otis

FA Cup.

That's as much based on the fact that I think we would get absolutely pumulled every week in the Premier League and the taste of promotion would quickly sour.

Whereas, an FA Cup win would be cemented in the history books and be cherished forever more.

The FA Cup is a win. Promotion would just be setting ourselves up for an enormous fall.

If I thought we could survive in the Premier, then that would alter my choice.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

FA Cup.

That's as much based on the fact that I think we would get absolutely pumulled every week in the Premier League and the taste of promotion would quickly sour.

Whereas, an FA Cup win would be cemented in the history books and be cherished forever more.

The FA Cup is a win. Promotion would just be setting ourselves up for an enormous fall.

If I thought we could survive in the Premier, then that would alter my choice.
I think we still get a few more supporters going to watch us in the FA Cup because of 1987 even after all these years. Once you've won it , it's yours forever.
No Burnley or Sheffield United fan will remember this season particularly.

JAM See

Promotion. I would far rather see a reason of top division football than just a one off day at Wembley. I genuinely would have traded the 1987 win for staying in the Premier League.
OOF!!

No way. In 1987, the FA cup was up there with the league.

Had some great days out in the top division, but 16th May 1987 is burned into my soul.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Promotion. I would far rather see a reason of top division football than just a one off day at Wembley. I genuinely would have traded the 1987 win for staying in the Premier League.
We'd have an empty trophy cabinet and perhaps the best part of another 20 years fighting relegation as usual. Absolutely nothing to celebrate.
I'd take an FA cup win if it meant another 5 years in the championship without hesitation.

ceetee

I think our chance of playing at Wembley may be higher in the cup than the league.........this season.

Next season is a different matter

Terry_dactyl

What?!?!?

I think we’ll get promoted next year or eventually.
Winning the FA Cup would be amazing!

Hertsccfc

What?!?!?

I think we’ll get promoted next year or eventually.
Winning the FA Cup would be amazing!
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the 1987 win immensely but I can never get as excited about watching us in the Championship as I did in the top League. Winning matches against teams like Liverpool or Arsenal in the top league meant so much even if we struggled many seasons.

covmark

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the 1987 win immensely but I can never get as excited about watching us in the Championship as I did in the top League. Winning matches against teams like Liverpool or Arsenal in the top league meant so much even if we struggled many seasons.
You think we'd be beating Liverpool and Arsenal if we got promoted?

Calista

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the 1987 win immensely but ...
I generally find I agree with your contributions on here :)
But this is an even more weird take than your asessment of Ellis Simms.

1987 is our only entry in the list of major honours, yet you talk about it as if it was just a nice experience at the time.

Tommo1993

Wigan were probably the last proper outside winners. Mostly forgotten now, I’m sure they’ll have traded the trophy for PL survival.

The answer gets easier the more I think about it.

Hertsccfc

I generally find I agree with your contributions on here :)
But this is an even more weird take than your asessment of Ellis Simms.

1987 is our only entry in the list of major honours, yet you talk about it as if it was just a nice experience at the time.
Of course it was great but personally I enjoyed all the years of top league football more. I get what you and others are saying but for me it's one day against seeing top quality football every week and occasional outstanding displays like beating Liverpool 4-0 when they were the best team in Europe.

Also it would be so nice not to be asked when you say you support Coventry City, 'Oh what division are they in now?'

Users who are viewing this thread