Wilson or Armstrong ? (1 Viewer)

harvey098

Clearly a good question which has split people. I would have to say Wilson though. I think 99% of people would also have said Wilson before Saturday... Arma had a run of very quiet games and Wilson is a premier league striker proven to be good enough at that level.

Have to say though, different player but Id take Maddison over both of them in terms of potential and for the time being, HE'S ACTUALLY OURS! PUSB!

Hobo

I really can't call it potential wise, although Wilson is obviously ahead at the moment.

But what a pairing they could make for England in the future.

ccfc1234

Armstrong has 16 goals in 21 starts. Wilson got 21 goals all season.

Armstrong for me.
Agree Arma is more clinical in front of goal and beter at this stage of his career. However in Wilsons defence he was playing in a far weaker team than Arma and would have scored more than 21 in this team.

bringbackrattles

I had a feeling when I posed the question that it would be split.It was in the pub too which proves there is not much between the pair in terms of ability etc. I really put the cat among the pigeons though when I said George Hudson was better than Wilson and Armo ! That's another thread maybe ?

SkyBlueM

Wilson for me - also proven at a higher level. Although i am more than happy that we have Armstrong with us.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Agreed. Plus it's not just about scoring goals - Armstrong has 1 assist, Wilson had 4 and Wilson won 5-6 pens that season too. Wilson also scored headers, Armstrongs not even looked like scoring one......I've never seen him head the ball.

Armstrong is class, but he does go through quite spells not just in terms of goals but general contribution and team play (he does run his bollocks off though!), Wilson although missed a few sitters rarely had a bad game even if he wasn't scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I'm pretty sure Wilson never scored a header for us, stand to be corrected but can't recall one.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Obviously Wilson is about 4 years ahead of Armstrong in his development and currently proven at a higher level than Armstrong.

Going only off there season for us, for me Armstrong is a better footballer. His ball control is a lot tighter than Wilsons was then, Armstrong is a better finisher than Wilson was during his time with us, also Armstrong is also deadly with left foot, another thing which was never a strength of Wilson. Wilson has improved these aspects over the last few years I have no doubt but I'm judging off his time with us.

The thing that Wilson has over Armstrong is the physique, not only is Wilson lightning quick he was also strong as an ox with great upper body strength meaning he could bully and bulldoze his way through defences. Armstrong doesn't really have the upper body strength so can get brushed aside if we don't properly play to his strengths

Mcbean

Terrible question like asking which of your children you like better :D

Both got strengths - Wilson was awesome at Northampton - running onto a ball - think Arma has the tighter ball skill plus the acceleration to get in the opening for a goal

Prem games are more open than our level which I think suits Wilson - we have lumpers in defence so tend to stick to their zone as they have no mobility so I think this suits Arma - just look at his hatrick and how he disposed of the defence - this wasn't Wilsons style

so I make no choice - glad for Wilson on his move gutted with his injury - overjoyed at Armas presence - thankful for TMs foresight

WestEndAgro

Both outrageous finishers, both electric pace, love them both can't split them.

Londonccfcfan

AA still has to prove it at championship and premier league level.

We get excited by AA hatrick vs Crewe away.

When he's doing it West Ham Away as Wilson did... gulf of difference.

AA has the potential to get to get to that level. Wilsons potential has been realised and is worth 10 to 15 million. And almost on verge of full England squad call up before his injury.

Both similar in so many ways. Im not sure can Wilson score the kind of goal AA did vs Millwall....lob from 35 yards. Or the winner vs Peterborough.

Without diverting too much. Both are very hard to separate at similar stages of development.

Robbie Keane at 18/19 in a sky blue shirt was on a different stratosphere in the premier league compared to both of them though.

Gazolba

Armstrong is the better player when he wants to be. But Wilson is more consistent and mentally stronger. I'd say Wilson is an Arsenal type player and Armstrong is a Newcastle (maybe Chelsea in his dreams) type player.

stupot07

I'm pretty sure Wilson never scored a header for us, stand to be corrected but can't recall one.

Yeah, you're probably right. He definitely used to get his head on the end of crosses IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

dongonzalos

Wilson for me his strength was outrageous and very unexpected. Armstrong has some of that but not quite the level of Wilson.

The Gentleman

Wilson for me every time. I'm 42 and if I didn't have dodgy knees then I could be special in this league now. Lots of strikers have shone in league 1 and not made the transition up to the bigger leagues. Callum done the business last season and then showed (albeit briefly) that he can do it in the PL. To even have talk of clubs like Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool being interested in him shows the potential he has. Wilson's touch awareness and ability to find space has improved an awful lot since he was here and he is still young so surely can improve more, but he has something that Armstrong doesn't and that is raw pace which is the one thing that scares defenders the most. Yes, Armstrong is good in this league, but until he has proved it at a higher level then it is Wilson every time for me.

I really hope that Callum comes back from his serious injury the same because sometimes a serious knee problem can take something from a player.

covcity4life

lots of people missing point here surely?

judging prem wilson vs l1 armstrong is like comparing ozil and dack

gotta do it by their l1 seasons only in this case

mechaishida

Wilson scored 21 goals in a poorer L1 City side, so I'd say Wilson is the overall 'better' striker.

AA is something else though, his finishing and instincts are off the charts.

rupert_bear

Wilson has the pace, I just hope he hasn't lost a bit with this cruciate injury, I think he'll be okay but has to re-establish himself in the Bournemouth first team again. Talk of him being ready for Easter now if he needs a months loan to get sharp again I know just the club for him

ajsccfc

I'd be very surprised if Armstrong's here for the rest of the season and doesn't finish on upwards of 25 goals.

Users who are viewing this thread