Wilson dive (1 Viewer)

Hobo

It was a clear penalty in real time and however many times you watch a replay....remember the refs don't have that luxury.

Hobo

Just pointing out that you are a City fan on a CCFC site, trying to imply (wrongly, now acknowledged by you) that our player dived to win the penalty....

An Aside from this....Happy New Year to you ps1948 hope you are well and enjoying life.

Last edited:

Otis

I see all people's New Year Resolutions to be nicer to everyone in life didn't hold out that long did they. :D

ps1948

So your point is, that if I support Coventry City I should blindly accept everything that happens during a game without engaging my own intelligence? Or that I should keep quiet about it if I do happen to have an opinion that isn't "toeing the party line"? Ain't gunna happen matey. The whole point of this forum is to exchange views and chat.

Moreover, I wasn't implying anything. I stated that I thought he had dived. Implications are for wusses.

Mr T, firstly I acknowledge the gracious withdrawal of the accusation, made while I was tapping away on my first response.
Secondly, you didn't say you thought he dived, but that he dived......
Lastly, I don't wish to impose my thoughts on anyone, and acknowledge your right to say it how you saw it (and by the way, I don't condone diving by players either, including the Sky Blues), so Happy New Year to you, and here's to a better 2014!

RoboCCFC90

Rotherham fans going mad on Twitter this morning because there is photo proof that the Challenge was outside the box and that there was minimal contact.

During live speed he did look clipped and everyone behind the goal believed it was in the box.

However the officials were rubbish yesterday throughout the game so I don't mind as long as it doesn't cost us the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscillatewildly

I was at the game and my immediate reaction was that he dived. But why when he was clean thru? And in the area as I saw it. Haven't seen any tv replay yet tho. Ref was awful. Nothing for us 1st half and bizarrely practically everything for us in 2nd half even when unmerited.

davebart

I was at the game and my immediate reaction was that he dived. But why when he was clean thru? And in the area as I saw it. Haven't seen any tv replay yet tho. Ref was awful. Nothing for us 1st half and bizarrely practically everything for us in 2nd half even when unmerited.

Steve Evans is probably one of the most unpleasant managers around. If he accepts it then in all probability it was a pen. Unless he is mellowing beyond all recognition!!!

So why did the Rotherham manager (reputation for complaining) say that they accepted the red card in his interview after?

Not what the BBC are reporting; "This [the penalty] is one of the worst decisions from an assistant referee you'll ever wish to see in football. It's a poor decision that changes the game.
"We could have the game wrapped up by half-time. It's evident that we didn't put our chances away." - Steve Evans.

Rusty Trombone

Not what the BBC are reporting; "This [the penalty] is one of the worst decisions from an assistant referee you'll ever wish to see in football. It's a poor decision that changes the game.
"We could have the game wrapped up by half-time. It's evident that we didn't put our chances away." - Steve Evans.

He's not complaining about the red card, he is saying the foul was not in the area, and therefore his complaint is about the penalty decision.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I really think a lot of Wilson, cracking player with a lot of pace and potential..

BUT that was 100% a dive and he knows exactly what he's doing. If I was a Rotherham fan I would of been furious. Theres no point being completely biased about things like diving, I hate diving full stop from any player on the pitch including our own.

Otis

I hate diving too, but first reaction when I saw the highlights was that it was a foul and therefore a pen.

You have to remember the ref and linesman only have a split second to make a decision.

If he did dive I have no idea why. The bloke has a stack full of goals to his name and looked odds on to score anyway. Daft thing to do if he did dive, cos he could well have ended up being booked as a result and lost a great opportunity for the team.

bringbackrattles

Sadly diving is common these days although it did look like a trip outside the box.
I see the expert diver Ashley Young had a strong appeal for a penalty verses Spurs turned away,good because he has got the reputation of a cheat so it has turned against him now.

davebart

They must have edited out the swear words.

woody11462

I really think a lot of Wilson, cracking player with a lot of pace and potential..

BUT that was 100% a dive and he knows exactly what he's doing. If I was a Rotherham fan I would of been furious. Theres no point being completely biased about things like diving, I hate diving full stop from any player on the pitch including our own.

What's your opinion on a defender clearly tripping up an attacker from behind knowing that he is clean through and likely to score? Is that not cheating? Because that is what happened in my opinion. Watch the highlights, the defender clearly and intentionaly clips Wilson's heel from behind and then carries on running knowing what he has done. He doesn't accuse Wilson of diving, he accepts he took one for the team. His only downfall was that he thought he did it outside the box. At the end of the day it wasn't a penalty BUT he is likely to have rounded the keeper and scored anyway so justice was done.

Warwickhunt

when you run at that speed the mearest of touches will take you down

Otis

What's your opinion on a defender clearly tripping up an attacker from behind knowing that he is clean through and likely to score? Is that not cheating? Because that is what happened in my opinion. Watch the highlights, the defender clearly and intentionaly clips Wilson's heel from behind and then carries on running knowing what he has done. He doesn't accuse Wilson of diving, he accepts he took one for the team. His only downfall was that he thought he did it outside the box. At the end of the day it wasn't a penalty BUT he is likely to have rounded the keeper and scored anyway so justice was done.

I watched it twice and it looked a foul to me. Wilson clearly made the most of it, but a foul is a foul isn't it? Whether he dived or not is irrelevant if the foul came first.

Best thing to do with cheats though is to ban them retrospectively. A player dives and profits from it, but it isn't detected during the game, then that player should be judged on video evidence and if found to have deliberately cheated, the player should receive an automatic 3 match ban. Repeat offence, doubled up to 6.

Hobo

I really don't see what Rotherham are moaning about. It's cynical, the player doesn't protest, and whether it is inside or out it is so close in real time you can't blame a ref for giving it....it was a clear scoring opportunity so justice done.

H

Huckerby

I watched it twice and it looked a foul to me. Wilson clearly made the most of it, but a foul is a foul isn't it? Whether he dived or not is irrelevant if the foul came first.

Best thing to do with cheats though is to ban them retrospectively. A player dives and profits from it, but it isn't detected during the game, then that player should be judged on video evidence and if found to have deliberately cheated, the player should receive an automatic 3 match ban. Repeat offence, doubled up to 6.

This. I really wish they would do this, I hate diving and it's not punished harshly enough. Some people say that there is a difference between making the most of something when there is contact, and actually diving. I disagree...I think referees are actually more likely to give you a decision if you've made an effort to stay on your feet. Did you see Chamakh's (sp?) yellow card yesterday? Raised his hand to Hoolahan. Obviously that's not on and Chamakh deserved a red, but for Hoolahan to fall on the floor is absolutely embarrassing.

Sky Blue Kid

Definate foul but outside by at least 1 yard, but giving the penalty made it nailed on the player would walk. Would have been room for a yellow if given outside.

Sky Blue Harry H

Was a foul - I think Steve Evans would have said something if the player had not touched him. Also - is it me, but does Steve Evans look a bit like Ted Robbins (Phoenix Nights)?
images

italiahorse

Definate foul but outside by at least 1 yard, but giving the penalty made it nailed on the player would walk. Would have been room for a yellow if given outside.

Through on goal so red regardless of in or out box. Ref gave it out the box and linesman called it in.

Como

There is some suggestion that the Rotherham goal may have been offside.

The Penalty, I have watched it many time and then have gone through it step by step, obviously not something the officials can do.

He was clipped and I do not think he dived, he was at full speed.

It was outside the box, exactly how far 2 or 3 feet maybe. But yet again I had to watch it several times to be sure, I finally was able to pause it at the exact moment, the Defender had not entered the box.

He was clearly the last player and obviously knew he had made contact so a red.

I think the Referee was going to call it out, the Lino said in and the Lino had the better view.

I could not see what happened for their penalty.

Last edited:

Tommystours

We were behind the goal and could see the guy clip Wilson's heel. Which sent him flying , as he was at full pace.The Lino went straight to the goal line so he was convinced it was inside. Bloody sour grapes fromRotherham whingers.how many times have we had bad decisions go against us this season. I think we are still due a few more going our way to balance it up.PUSB's

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

You and WarwickHunt, are being biased, I hate diving, and people like you just endorse it further by coming up with pathetic excuses. I played football for years and years and it is complete bullshit that a slightest touch can knock a grown man over. Wilson could have stayed on his feet or even tried to but chose to go down.

Stop endorsing cheating like youre some pundit on the tele. Football was a much better game when there was actual tackles and not constant play acting and stupid statements like 'he made contact so its a foul'. Fact is, if you try and justify diving, you're adding to the problem.

Otis

You and WarwickHunt, are being biased, I hate diving, and people like you just endorse it further by coming up with pathetic excuses. I played football for years and years and it is complete bullshit that a slightest touch can knock a grown man over. Wilson could have stayed on his feet or even tried to but chose to go down.

Stop endorsing cheating like youre some pundit on the tele. Football was a much better game when there was actual tackles and not constant play acting and stupid statements like 'he made contact so its a foul'. Fact is, if you try and justify diving, you're adding to the problem.

To be fair, there's been a few where a player has been fouled but not gone down and the penalty hasn't been given because he's stayed on his feet.

Works both ways. Refs need to give a pen if there's a foul whatever, not just if a player goes down.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I see all people's New Year Resolutions to be nicer to everyone in life didn't hold out that long did they. :D

My New Years Resolution is 1920 x 1080! :D

mrtrench

To be fair, there's been a few where a player has been fouled but not gone down and the penalty hasn't been given because he's stayed on his feet.

Works both ways. Refs need to give a pen if there's a foul whatever, not just if a player goes down.

Completely agree - there should be advantage played when a player stays on his feet, pulled back for a pen if he doesn't score.

Users who are viewing this thread