Willis and Burge (2 Viewers)

stupot07

Burge has heart complication after having covid, which is one of the main reasons he's not been anywhere near the Sunderland team.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

My betting is their wages were considerably higher than they were here and a signing on fee to boot, suppose it depends how green you want your grass.

I was talking about their careers Rupert as at the time they made noises about being better than where city were at the time.

Keep up

Mucca Mad Boys

More often is the case nowadays that when players leave, they often find their careers take backwards steps.

McCallum is the most recent example I can think of someone ‘bettering’ themselves after leaving.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

More often is the case nowadays that when players leave, they often find their careers take backwards steps.

McCallum has is the most recent example I can think of someone ‘bettering’ themselves after leaving.
It's not really been the case that he's gone backwards, has it? He's ultimately still a Norwich player who have a greater chance of promotion next season than we do

alexccfc99

Sad for them but proof that the grass isn't always greener

Burge we released and Willis paved way for Rose and Fadz - They both served us well and didn’t owe us anything

Burge will make a decent L1 and an excellent L2 keeper and unfortunately I can’t see Willis ever playing again

Legia Sky Blue

Didn't they both go because they thought they were better than us?

That is really re-writing history!

Burge was released and not offered a contract.

Am sure we would have initially kept Willis if we could have, but his agent had lined him up for a move to Luton in the Championship which fell through. By the time he moved to Sunderland we had already moved on by signing his replacement in McFadzean, and MR did not then give him the option of re-signing for us. From what I know of Willis he wasn't the type to slag off our club anyhow, and it should be remembered that he stayed with us through our League 2 season when he did have the option of moving on, and of course scored the memorable goal that set us on our way to promotion.

Sbarcher

They liked him up there and certainly considered him Championship standard. Injuries permitting they would have loved him to stay.

ccfc_Tom

That is really re-writing history!

Burge was released and not offered a contract.

Am sure we would have initially kept Willis if we could have, but his agent had lined him up for a move to Luton in the Championship which fell through. By the time he moved to Sunderland we had already moved on by signing his replacement in McFadzean, and MR did not then give him the option of re-signing for us. From what I know of Willis he wasn't the type to slag off our club anyhow, and it should be remembered that he stayed with us through our League 2 season when he did have the option of moving on, and of course scored the memorable goal that set us on our way to promotion.

Im pretty sure burge was offered a contract and he rejected it.

duffer

I've got no great issue with either of them. It's a short, risky career, and whether they chose to leave or not, I wouldn't really blame anyone for doing so if they could secure better terms elsewhere. Wouldn't most of us do the same?

Liquid Gold

Burge was never going to be retained after the crowd finally gave up with him with his gaffes against Burton at home.

Users who are viewing this thread