Will it be harder than first thought next season? (3 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

I think it will still be a tough season next year. If we want to be serious top 6 challengers we need to either get better at stringing results together for longer periods like the really successful sides do or improve on Dowie's bouncebackability by responding well to defeats:

Unbeaten streaks:
Luton: 28 games unbeaten
Barnsley: 20 games unbeaten
Portsmouth: 11 games, and 2x 8 game streaks.
Sunderland: 19 games, 12 games
Charlton: 11 games and 6 games.

Our best in the last 2 seasons is 6 games.

Bouncebackability:
This season we've lost 16 games and the following match has resulted in W4 D8 L4 (W25% D50% L25%)
If we compare that to Charlton who have accumulated a lot of points despite never been higher than 4th this season, following 10 defeats their next result was W6, D2, L2 (W60%, D20%, L20%).
Sunderland have won all their matches following a defeat (the issue for them has been too many 1-1 draws/not enough clean sheets)

Getting that kind of mentality/self belief instilled in a youthful squad will be key.

Bouncebackability - thanks Alan.

steve82

top 6 minimum,we need to improve ourselves and competition hopefully not as good.

rather rotheram than wigan or milwall personally

p.s when mowbray got auto promoted from league 1 you said he should with that budget,. when jack ross failed to get autos you said manager of season LMAO . your bias shown for everyone to see.

Agree Rotherham over Millwall and Wigan, absolutely.

No biased opinion on TM. You need to let him go.
TM should of got that side up and actually agree that Ross should, should do still if he don’t then I’d certainly reconsider my opinion on that. It’s just a opinion mind, and I think TM Blackburn side last year was very fortunate whilst a very good side that season L1 didn’t really have the same level of quality as this year with some good sides going to miss out on promotion still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: vow

Kneeza

I just caught the tail end of the promotion season in 1967. Like most fans on here I have never seen us have a championship or runner up season in full. That level of consistency, where you are winning most games and losing very few must be hard to achieve but great to watch. Being in, or close to, the top places ( or even running away with the league) would be fantastic. We need the ground situation sorted, hopefully Enobakhare signing and our forwards and midfield players to be more clinical in front of goal.
I was there for all of it (and the previous two seasons).
Finishing with a run of 25 unbeaten is how you win leagues. We won't do THAT next season, but we can certainly hope for top six, I feel.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’m very excited especially with Biamou and Jones coming back

We still need to strengthen though and I would love to see if Alleseni (spelt wrong probably) can actually make the breakthrough to the first team I honestly think he’s a diamond in the rough

Terry_dactyl

Im taking nothing for granted but we should be in good shape next year, especially if we sign Bright.
I really hope Jones and Max recover fully. Might mean we can focus resources elsewhere ie goalkeeper, full backs etc?

Ashdown

Definitely not getting my expectations up for next season, like I believe a few other's will, would be ok with top 8 tbf as I think we've overachieved this season and v happy with the progress.

Top six would be magical though!
Oh dear, setting yourself up to be happy to be in the top 8 of League One.....I hope the club management are a ittle more ambitious.

vow

Oh dear, setting yourself up to be happy to be in the top 8 of League One.....I hope the club management are a ittle more ambitious.
After losing 4-2 to Lincoln @home last season in L2 with 2 games to go, I would have been v happy just to be in L1!

I'm just being realistic that we have a v young side and another season in L1 wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

And yes, I also hope the management are more ambitious than me.

Users who are viewing this thread