will cody come good now (1 Viewer)

blueflint

hi opinions please on cody he seems settled will he now come good and bang a few in

skybluegod

Let's hope not, that means we'll sell him.

that makes no sense so you would rather we're paying a shit player to do nothing.

and IMO yes he will come good he's got natural scoring instinct you could see that even before he started scoring i think he will score a couple more

Astute

We can only guess what has gone wrong this season. His last goal showed what he can do. His goal against Cardiff showed us we want him up front, not defending He knows where the goal is too well

As said, give him a pre season with us. He will know more of how to play to a system as well as being fit enough.

EleanorRigby

Took his chance last Saturday very well and with the right partner could be a real asset. Not played a lot but in the ones he has he has had a few chances in the time he has played and although not bagged them all is atleast getting into positions to score, that's half the battle.

Otis

Yep. think he will be a good player for us. Needs the right type of player to play alongside though.

I think its all about the right pass an now we have Norwood to unlock defences we will see the best of cody. His runs off the ball are better than nimelys and Norwood has the ability to spot it an play in

ccfcdan

He should be full of confidence after that finish last week. We should rest Nimley and start him up front with Platini.

Lord_Nampil

think he was always good TBH, his movement is that of a natural striker just need to get him into games!!! His goal against Hull was the first time we used one of his runs to our advantage, his goal scoring ability then did the rest!

If only we hadn't been stupid in the summer with a transfer policy that put us 6 months behind where we should have been!

Nonleagueherewecome

His all-round game particularly first-touch are still lacking, but his fitness and attitude are much-improved. I think he does have the look of a natural goalscorer about him, possibly (whisper it) more so than Adam Le Fondre, actually. The real beauty of that goal at Hull was it was exactly the sort that I expected from him after Thorn initially described him as a player who "plays on the shoulder" of the last defender. They've clearly been working on it in training, and in Norwood we now have some one capable of loading the gun for him.

Think he'll be better still next season with a full pre-season behind him.

In the short-term, I'm not sure: all three of our strikers have differing strengths and weaknesses, but no matter which two we field, we will be short in an area.
Platt-great in the air, great with back to goal, works incredibly hard, offers outlet for long balls, very slow and doesn't score goals, can't play two games in a week
Nimely-pacy, great first touch,very strong for a small lad, works tirelessly, offers outlet to balls on the break, weak in the air, bit blinkered and naive at times and doesn't score goals. In terms of over-all quality, the best of the 3 by some way IMO.
Cody-gets into goalscoring positions regularly, has better game-to-goal ratio, has a bit of pace, better in the air than Nimely but about a third as good as Platt, doesn't graft like the other two, weak distribution and first touch. Over-all game offers much less than the other two, but he scores goals. You wouldn't leave Micky Quinn out..

So Platt & Nimely-too light on goals
Nimely & Cody-weak in the air/with back to goal, lacking experience
Platt & Cody-lack of pace, and for all his lack of goals, can you really leave Nimely out?

What we will do-and what I think the manager has got absolutely spot on so far-is perm 2 from 3 with the other figuring from the bench with plenty of time to make an impact/give the other player a rest. I like all the players, but their limited dimensions do speak volumes about the level we are at I suppose.

skyblueinBaku

How about this:

Start with Platt and Cody (Nimely on the bench). By half time, Platt will have taken his usual battering, but he gives as good as he gets so the opposition defence will be suffering a bit. Then move McSheff forward to replace Platt and put Nimely on at the tip of the diamond. That way we have two goalscorers up front, and Nimely and Norwood can give them good ball supply. Also, Norwood can score, and Nimeley's trickiness and quickness of foot could get us free kicks around the box or even penalties.

ccfchandsy

<p>
How about this:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Start with Platt and Cody (Nimely on the bench). By half time, Platt will have taken his usual battering, but he gives as good as he gets so the opposition defence will be suffering a bit. Then move McSheff forward to replace Platt and put Nimely on at the tip of the diamond. That way we have two goalscorers up front, and Nimely and Norwood can give them good ball supply. Also, Norwood can score, and Nimeley's trickiness and quickness of foot could get us free kicks around the box or even penalties.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

I like the sound of that :D

Astute

I have a feeling Platt will be on the bench on saturday. P'boro leak goals away from home. Have all the faster players against them. Play Platt against Brizzle. He can give them a battering. Hold them back a bit as well.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I dont want to get ahead of ourselves, as we've hyped players up in the past, and they've flopped! Plus all this 'he needs a pre season behind him' I just don't buy. That's all we heard with Freddy Eastwood. And look how that panned out. MK didn't have a pre season behind him (wasn't he still inside during the pre season?) yet he didn't turn out too badly without the need of a pre season (as much as I hate to admit it). Sorry to seem negative but like I said above, we (myself included) have hyped a player up before from one decent performance, so I'll hold my judgement for now!

Nonleagueherewecome

I dont want to get ahead of ourselves, as we've hyped players up in the past, and they've flopped! Plus all this 'he needs a pre season behind him' I just don't buy. That's all we heard with Freddy Eastwood. And look how that panned out. MK didn't have a pre season behind him (wasn't he still inside during the pre season?) yet he didn't turn out too badly without the need of a pre season (as much as I hate to admit it). Sorry to seem negative but like I said above, we (myself included) have hyped a player up before from one decent performance, so I'll hold my judgement for now!

Fair point, but you are forgetting that it took King 5 months of first-team action before he got properly match fit. Watch him for Birmingham, and I'd say he's a much better player for a preseason and his time with us, even if he missed the early part of the season with a knock: his starting fitness was much higher there than it was here, and I don't think we really saw the best of him TBH.

Nonleagueherewecome

I have a feeling Platt will be on the bench on saturday. P'boro leak goals away from home. Have all the faster players against them. Play Platt against Brizzle. He can give them a battering. Hold them back a bit as well.

Tempted to agree, especially as Alex and Cody should be more capable of potentially starting 2 games in 3 days. My worry is that our build-up play will massively suffer.

Don't agree at all with those saying make Alex sub: he's probably our most gifted player, for all his lack of goals, and lack of pacy outlet on the break will see our entire shape shift 5-10 yards deeper as the opposition will be able to press us higher up the pitch. I'm hoping he'll be a bit sharper for a week without a game..and he's due a goal!

SkyBlue_Bear83

His all-round game particularly first-touch are still lacking, but his fitness and attitude are much-improved. I think he does have the look of a natural goalscorer about him, possibly (whisper it) more so than Adam Le Fondre, actually. The real beauty of that goal at Hull was it was exactly the sort that I expected from him after Thorn initially described him as a player who "plays on the shoulder" of the last defender. They've clearly been working on it in training, and in Norwood we now have some one capable of loading the gun for him.

Think he'll be better still next season with a full pre-season behind him.

In the short-term, I'm not sure: all three of our strikers have differing strengths and weaknesses, but no matter which two we field, we will be short in an area.
Platt-great in the air, great with back to goal, works incredibly hard, offers outlet for long balls, very slow and doesn't score goals, can't play two games in a week
Nimely-pacy, great first touch,very strong for a small lad, works tirelessly, offers outlet to balls on the break, weak in the air, bit blinkered and naive at times and doesn't score goals. In terms of over-all quality, the best of the 3 by some way IMO.
Cody-gets into goalscoring positions regularly, has better game-to-goal ratio, has a bit of pace, better in the air than Nimely but about a third as good as Platt, doesn't graft like the other two, weak distribution and first touch. Over-all game offers much less than the other two, but he scores goals. You wouldn't leave Micky Quinn out..

So Platt & Nimely-too light on goals
Nimely & Cody-weak in the air/with back to goal, lacking experience
Platt & Cody-lack of pace, and for all his lack of goals, can you really leave Nimely out?

What we will do-and what I think the manager has got absolutely spot on so far-is perm 2 from 3 with the other figuring from the bench with plenty of time to make an impact/give the other player a rest. I like all the players, but their limited dimensions do speak volumes about the level we are at I suppose.
tbh I didn't think there was a problem with his attitude to begin with and I think you were harsh on him earlier in the season.

I would stick with Platt and Nimely and bring Mcdonald on for 25 mins or so at the moment. After most of the season injured and stepping up 2 tiers of football I think any goals he can chip in with is great and a real bonus.

Astute

How can you compare anyone with Fat Freddie? A player being unfit through injury and a player being unfit through being fat and not interested are two totally different things.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
How can you compare anyone with Fat Freddie? A player being unfit through injury and a player being unfit through being fat and not interested are two totally different things.

I was referring to the Freddy we signed from Wolves, not the one we've given to Southend. He has got fat whole with us, not before! He came to us having played very little football and needing a pre season which he isn't get with his parent club at the time. Just like Cody "needs a pre season"! That's how I compared the two! - easily.

Astute

I was referring to the Freddy we signed from Wolves, not the one we've given to Southend. He has got fat whole with us, not before! He came to us having played very little football and needing a pre season which he isn't get with his parent club at the time. Just like Cody "needs a pre season"! That's how I compared the two! - easily.

Fat Freddie has hardly played since he left Southend. Fat Freddie hardly played for Wolves. They would not let us loan him with a view to buying him. We had to buy him. I wonder why? The player we bought from Wolves was the player we have given away to Southend. Thought he had made it with the cash he had coming in and didn't have to put the hard work of training in. Wasted talent. Has had quite a few different managers since leaving Southend. Why have none of them played him?

The Reverend Skyblue

One of the few things i've got right this season was that i thought Cody would come good. He did have a good first game at Ipswich, and could of scored so i was impressed enough to to think he 'll be an good asset in the future.
Infact its the only thing I've got right this season concerning predictions. I thought by now we'd have already been relegated. Its bloody fantastic i'm wrong so much

The Rev

The Reverend Skyblue

By the way, i think we'll be playing Champions League football in 3 years.
Can you imagine Messi coming to the Ricoh, what a night that will be.

The Rev

Astute

By the way, i think we'll be playing Champions League football in 3 years.
Can you imagine Messi coming to the Ricoh, what a night that will be.

The Rev

If you are always so wrong why not say Messi won't be at the Ricoh in 3 years?

He wouldn't have a chance against Keogh anyway

skablue

Cody can play a massive part in retaining our place in the Championship, I think he will have to start one of the next two games as Platt will struggle to play both. I'd use him from the start against Peterborough alongside Nimely i'd get Clingan and Norwood playing balls in the channels between the centre half and full backs and try and exploit the pace that both players possess. Cody's also quite decent with his head despite not being the tallest so he's a threat from set pieces and crosses. Reckon he'll score 3 or 4 more before the end of the season.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Fat Freddie has hardly played since he left Southend. Fat Freddie hardly played for Wolves. They would not let us loan him with a view to buying him. We had to buy him. I wonder why? The player we bought from Wolves was the player we have given away to Southend. Thought he had made it with the cash he had coming in and didn't have to put the hard work of training in. Wasted talent. Has had quite a few different managers since leaving Southend. Why have none of them played him?

Thing is with Freddy, weren't we one of the clubs interested before Wolves snapped him up? If the club weren't, the fans definately were. Just a shame he was a big fish in a small pond who was never really going to cut it away from that pond! But saying that, some gambles work, some don't. This one hasn't paid off for us or Wolves.

Anyway, were going off subject nOw so let's just concentrate on the future, not the past

PUSB

EleanorRigby

No way should Nimley be on the bench he is a main reason we have improved, okay not scored the goals i would have liked but his pace on and off the ball puts defenders on the back foot and creates space for others.

Grendel

The problem with him I suspect is that he will contribute little to a side in 90 minutes unless he scores goals. To me his overall contribution looks suspect and I can't see him as a first team regular at championship level.

Astute

So he hasn't played many games this season, thus has not scored many goals. He scored some cracking goals last season. Scored a good goal last game. So he can score goals. To win games you need to score goals. We struggled this season through lack of goals. We kept losing by 1 goal.

I do not have a problem with a player that scores goals but does not run around the pitch like a headless chicken. Watch his off the ball running. He is always looking for space. He then has the pace to do something. Now his fitness is coming back we could see a good end of season from him. Don't write him off before he gets a run in the team. Goalscorers don't suddenly forget where the back of the net is. He is like a lot of our squad. He is learning, and learning fast.

Astute

Cody starts, Cody scores

2 in 2 games. Good enough for me

Users who are viewing this thread