Will be the biggest club in league one? (1 Viewer)

aloisiwouldhavescored

Getting major flashbacks to 11 years ago when we were relegated from the Premier League. :eek:

Me too! I remember a certain BR saying that it might be rather good fun going down, and in the championship we could look forward to realistically winning every game.

What happened though?

covcity4life

it ALL depends on wether sisu dismantle the squad if we get relegated

this current squad would be in contention for auto promotion no doubt imo

but if sisu sell the likes of cranie,keough,clingan,thomas.bigi then we could be in trouble

i think we could afford to lose cranie,clingan and keogh(even though i would hate too) and stand a real good chance with

murphy
christie/clarke
cameron/mcpake/wood
hussey/herraidiseon(if we takes extremly cheap package)
bigi/thomas/deegan/baker/bell
mcsheff/platt/macdonald/o donovan/jeffers

that is a good league one squad

kingharvest

McPake's about to play in a cup final - will he really want to come back to league 1?

We'll lose a few if we go down of course. Clingan will go anyway, but i'm not too bothered about that.

I think the biggest thing is the management. Personally i think Thorn has done an excellent job under the circumstances, I'm don't know whether he's the man to bring us out of league 1 if we go down, but you get the right man in charge and you give yourself a great chance.

rob9872

I'm sure when they went down, Scunthorpe and Preston would have expected to do much better this time around. Being relegated offers no crumbs of comfort for me. The whole mentality thing is completely different here to at Southampton or Norwich. We must survive this time around and then find some new and significant investment.

Grendel

I'm sure when they went down, Scunthorpe and Preston would have expected to do much better this time around. Being relegated offers no crumbs of comfort for me. The whole mentality thing is completely different here to at Southampton or Norwich. We must survive this time around and then find some new and significant investment.

I agree 100%. Southampton and Norwich had much bigger crowd and therefore revenue and they were always going to come back stronger. We are so depressed with declining attendances and a generally bad atmosphere that relegation will see us in big trouble for seasons to come.

mark82

If both Sheffield clubs and Charlton went up, and us plus 2 of the current bottom 4 went down, we would be the biggest club based on average attendance alone, if all teams maintained their current levels of support.

covcity4life

If both Sheffield clubs and Charlton went up, and us plus 2 of the current bottom 4 went down, we would be the biggest club based on average attendance alone, if all teams maintained their current levels of support.

agreed,surely we would be beat teams at home? (under thorns playing it on the floor mantra)

Blue Maniac

A while back i was feeling pretty shite about the prospect of us going down to the third tier, so went onto a Sheffield Weds site to see if it was that bad....

Looks like it is.....

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/161713-league-onenot-a-piss-take-by-the-way/
Division Three is a great laugh - if you've got confidence in your team to make it fun and get back up within a season or three. When we went down we were somewhat fortunate (as fortunate as you can be when your club's a complete and utter farce handled by an escaped Serbian mental patient, anyway) in that we were easily the biggest and best in that division. Consequently we travelled all over the place to these previously unvisited grounds, smashing pretty much everyone else. When we came back up as clear champions, the players had so much confidence they thought they could beat anyone - and finished 5th. Ok, so the sins of Alex Bruce and Yann Kermorgant (and if truth be told, a partially-sighted linesman) kept us away from Wembley, but I think you'll agree playoff semis is better than a relegation scrap.

Relegation can make or break, and given the similarity between LCFC's situation in 2008 and CCFC's in 2012, I believe a lot rests on what happens this summer in terms of the ownership of (and/or investment in) your club; the managerial position; and playing staff changes. If it's done right, it's not so daft to suggest Coventry could be looking forward to a Premier League campaign in just over 2 years' time. If it's not, and the wrong people are allowed to fuck it up, it's no exaggeration to say you could pretty rapidly be staring into the non-league abyss and annual derbies with Nuneaton and Hinckley - if any football at all. Even as a Leicester fan, I'd prefer to see the former.

Users who are viewing this thread