Why we should get behind Thorn (1 Viewer)

skyblueben83

There are a lot of fans calling for Andy Thorns head and based on results and league position it seems a correct shout, but i'm just not convinced.

Thorn was doing a good job last season when we had King, Gunnar and Westwood. Losing them 3 HAS made a massive difference and Thorns job harder but he still has the team playing football in the right way and getting a lot out of some young players who have little or no experience of professional football. Every fan must also admit that he has had some bad luck so far this season. I also wonder who we'd get to come in. SISU won't pay for an experienced manager or high profile. We'd be looking at managers/coaches out of work and nowhere near the level of a Dave Jones for example.

Also with the ownership issue and asministration question mark hanging over us even an experienced manager will find it difficult to get us out of trouble if we get a 10 point deduction and no money to spend in Jan.

I hope we stick by Andy Thorn, if the worst happens and relegation happens then at least Thorny will be in a good position having had this season to shape the team and blood the young players and hopefully have new owners and money to spend in summer. I also rate Thornys ability to spot a player :eek:)

If John Sillett is backing Andy Thorn then that's good enough for me! Come on Sky Blues, Cov don't get relegated easily. The fans need to get together and find the sky blues great escape spirit!! PUSB

Otis

John Sillet would back any City manager, as have the Sky Blues faithful. The City fans have been really, really tolerant with Thorn. No-one could argue that.

And I think you will find that it is not the fans that need to find the great escape spirit it is the team and the manager.

WillenhallSkyBlues

thorn doesn't have a clue this season, his tactics just aren't working, he needs to learn how to manage a team in the last 20 mins of a game

THORN OUT

Otis

6/4 On Thorn To Be Next Champ Manager Ousted

By easyodds.com

Updated Wednesday, 30th November 2011
Coventry City RSS Feed

Andy Thorn is 6/4 with the bookies to be the next Championship manager to get the sack.

Victor Chandler are offering the odds on the Coventry City manager being the next Championship manager to be sacked.
The same bookmakers are offering odds of 11/8 on Thorn still being the manager when City play West Ham United on January 2nd and 5/1 for him to be the manager to be in charge of the the Sky Blues in their final fixture of the season at Southampton on May 2nd 2012.

Lord_Nampil

Hes the wrong manager for us we have really struggled since he took over!!! I cant get behind some one i don't think he is right for the situation and club!!!

Gaz

I'm with Ben on this one.

Any manager who loses three of his best players AND has bugger all investment back in the team is going to be up against it.

Lets be realistic and think what level of manager can we really attract to our club.

Otis

Any manager who loses three of his best players AND has bugger all investment back in the team is going to be up against it. And obviously cannot get his players to close down and harry and chase? :facepalm:

Obviously losing those three players have left the rest of the squad unable to do the football basics.:(

Gaz

Maybe you are right

Let's all just stick our heads up our arses and tell ourselves that losing your three best players doesn't matter ... After all, as long as you " close down and harry and chase " it will be fine.

Grendel

Maybe you are right

Let's all just stick our heads up our arses and tell ourselves that losing your three best players doesn't matter ... After all, as long as you " close down and harry and chase " it will be fine.

Or let's just stick our heads up our arses and tell ourselves that 2 wins this season is a succesful campaign and a succesful manager.

Sky Blue Sheepy

He wasn't winning many last season either but got away with it because King/Juke partnership. Sorry, Bruce just got sacked for 2 wins in 13 and we're doing far worse. We've given him more than enough leeway imo

Coventry La La La

He wasn't winning many last season either but got away with it because King/Juke partnership. Sorry, Bruce just got sacked for 2 wins in 13 and we're doing far worse. We've given him more than enough leeway imo

Bruce brought in allot of experienced premier league players (spent allot of money) whereas we have struggled in the championship for years, took the spine out of the team and invested no money so I don't know why you have brought Sunderland up in the argument for Thorn to go. :confused:

Sunderlands total spending during the summer transfer window£28.35 million

Last edited:

Astute

Or let's just stick our heads up our arses and tell ourselves that 2 wins this season is a succesful campaign and a succesful manager.

And successful ownership by SISU

rob9872

Thorn has been completely shafted. We've all seen that, which is why we have supported him, been patient and not been calling for his before now. However it appears (imo) that he has been found out tactically, appears to have lost his mojo and had the enthusiasm drained from him by the lack of support from within.

He has to go. Its a shame, he's a nice guy, an honest (if not very bright) guy and ahas given it his best whilst trying to get players to play in the right manner. He has a lack of quality at his disposal and I'm unsure if anyone else who is available and in our budget will d any better, but we have to try something different as whilst there are points to play for there is a chance albeit a slim one.

shy_tall_knight

Looking at dougie freedman the Palarse manager he looks credible and has the ability to inspire. Thorno looks clueless and out of his depth.

Gaz

But no one is proclaiming Thorn to be a successful manager.
He is as good as we will get so what's the point of chopping and changing, it's not worked in over ten years in this league has it.
When you lose the players we have, and invest as little as we have it was always going to be a season of struggle.

Look at our final league positions over the last few seasons and then add the fact we lost our three top players to it, and is it really any surprise that we are not doing so well.

Colonel Mustard

He is as good as we will get

This is where the pro-AT argument always wanders into masochistic, self-pitying territory. Yes, our club is on its knees, but there is no reason whatsoever to believe that another manager couldn't squeeze better results out of the resources available. Nobody's suggesting we have a top six squad, but to gain results better than what AT has achieved? Hell yes.

so what's the point of chopping and changing, it's not worked in over ten years in this league has it.

It hasn't, but I'd argue that's only because successive chairmen have played it incorrectly. Nilsson and Money were doing fine, before Money was ejected from the club and Jim Smith brought in. Firing Eric Black was perhaps a defining moment. We held onto Coleman for too long, etc. A true, properly executed 'chop and change' policy has never really been enforced.

When you lose the players we have, and invest as little as we have it was always going to be a season of struggle.

Yes, that is accepted. That doesn't mean that AT should get a completely free pass just because people are down in the dumps. If the team played as they did against West Ham every time out, I'll bet they could stay up comfortably. Is it really not worth searching for a manager who could get that out of them more often than AT does?

Grendel

But no one is proclaiming Thorn to be a successful manager.
He is as good as we will get so what's the point of chopping and changing, it's not worked in over ten years in this league has it.

Look at our final league positions over the last few seasons and then add the fact we lost our three top players to it, and is it really any surprise that we are not doing so well.

You also forgot to add the fact we now have a manager who cannot manage - so yes add that in the mix and we are well and truly down.

Gaz

You also forgot to add the fact we now have a manager who cannot manage - so yes add that in the mix and we are well and truly down.

Is it a fact that Thorn can't manage or just your opinion that you want to push over ?

Otis

Maybe you are right

If you close down, chase and harry you always have a chance. This is how lower league teams create cup upsets against higher league opposition. This is how they beat higher league placed opposition teams. They cannot compete on an equal footing because they know the higher league club have better players and a better team, so they know their best chance of success is to do all the above.

Everyone agrees we have a weak squad and that we aren't good enough. Therefore the only way we are going to survive is to deploy all the above tactics. We did so against West Ham and produced our best performance of the season. Why have we only done this once in 19 matches though? Finger points at the manager unfortunately. He apparently seems to think we will get out of the mess playing pretty, passing football and can win games against better opposition playing this way. We aren't good enough so no we can't. We have a weak team, a bottom 6 side, so to think we are going to out-pass teams and win games is just suicidal thinking.

Yes,close down, chase and harry!! This is all perfectly reasonable, rational and common sense. If you think that is sticking my head up my arse then we are simply not on the same planet I'm afraid. :(

Last edited:

ccfc4ever

Last season he was doin well you say? Well he won 3 out of10 (yes compared to this season thats amazing so maybe thats why you say he did well) but they were against teams who had nothing to play for & we threw points away in injury time in 2 games so nothing has really changed.

Any other manager with the record he has would be sacked & would have the vast of majority of fans wanting him sacked. You can blame SISU all you like but a manager should be getting more out of the squad of players we have than he does.

torchomatic

To be honest, I can't be arsed with it all. Sack him and let's face the consequences. It's obvious that because fans can't get rid of SISU they're going after the next in the chain. Once Thorn's gone it'll be back onto Bell, McSheff, etc.

Otis

To be honest, I can't be arsed with it all. Sack him and let's face the consequences. It's obvious that because fans can't get rid of SISU they're going after the next in the chain. Once Thorn's gone it'll be back onto Bell, McSheff, etc.

Think you'll find, Torchomatic that fans are critisising Sisu, the manager and Bell, McShuffty etc. They are not fluctuating between who they feel is "flavour of the month" in the critisism stakes.

torchomatic

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, I think.

They are not fluctuating between who they feel is "flavour of the month" in the critisism stakes.

Otis

Why?

City fans have consistently critisised Sisu. Constant. Constantly critisised players who have seemed disinterested or have underperformed. Constant. They have backed Thorn but we are now 7 poinst adrift from safety, in the bottom 2 and have won just 2 games in 19 matches. The critisism of Thorn has built slowly as the performances have grown unnaceptable.

Why would you disagree with that? Plenty of posts still banging on about Sisu and plenty of posts banging on about Sheff and Bell etc. How can anyone argue the that? People simply haven't just moved from other targets to Thorn.

pusbccfc

One benefit of a new manager would be the reintroduction of eastwood.

Gaz

Otis Otis Otis .....

..... If only it was that easy lol

Ok let's have a butchers at this ..

2010/11 = 18th

2009/10 = 19th

2008/09 = 17th

2007/08 = 21st

2006/07 = 17th

That's our last five final league positions in the championship.

So why the hell is Andy Thorn expected to do better than ? And not only that but having to do so without the three best players we had AND BUGGER ALL INVESTMENT.

The problem isn't the manager
It's the seriously lacking investment in the team.

Otis

Otis Otis Otis .....

..... If only it was that easy lol

Ok let's have a butchers at this ..

2010/11 = 18th

2009/10 = 19th

2008/09 = 17th

2007/08 = 21st

2006/07 = 17th

That's our last five final league positions in the championship.

So why the hell is Andy Thorn expected to do better than ? And not only that but having to do so without the three best players we had AND BUGGER ALL INVESTMENT.

The problem isn't the manager
It's the seriously lacking investment in the team.

Accept all of that. All of it!

No-one is arguing with that all. Don't see anyone arguing with that. That has nothing to do with the fact that the performances have been poor though. Not talking about quality here, talking about effort. How many game this season can you hand on heart say we have given it our best shot? :thinking about::thinking about:

West Ham ..... and ....... err ........ struggling after that. No-one is doubting the lack of quality, but did one single City fan honestly think we would be 7 points adrift of safety by the end of November? :( At this rate we could be all but relegated within about another 3 or 4 matches.

We have at least got to go into matches attempting to battle and show a bit of fight. We simply have to. It's either that or roll over and let teams tickle us on the tummy and then take the 3 points

Can you not see that we are talking about two completely different things here? You are talking quality and I am talking effort.

Last edited:

Macca

I don't see the point of backing Thorn. I thought he had an impossible task? If so whats the point of backing him or not backing him, makes no odds. In fact whats the point of having a manger at all.

As Torchy says its our fault for our continued witch hunt against inepitude.

Lets keep the underperforming players, manager and owners and let them get on with it. I might even have a hilarious rendition of Twist and Shout when we're 5-0 down with the other 6 morons left in the ground.

and relax

ICHAN

But no-one is expecting miracles from AT and your not getting sisu out unless they go.
Results do not lie, performnces don't lie.
Our league position does not lie.
Lack of commitment, concentration and fitness of players this far into a season who can not hold on/last 90 mins, losing a game in the dying seconds once fine but it's on a regular basis, how many dread the last few minutes because that feeling comes over you that were going to suceed?.
Opposition managers train knowing we pass around the back without looking, something is fundamentally wrong.
Can you honestly say winning a game is around the corner and we are going to go on a winning streak soon.
As I have said ant other manager in any othjer club by now would have had the fans calling for his head at every game by now but not our fans AT has the best job going because excuses are in place for him to fail and no one cares if he does.

Otis

Well if we're all happy we should just carry on the way we are and we will indeed be all but relegated within about 5 games. By then we will probably be about 12-14 points behind.

Think a lot of us feared relegation. No-one expected us to be so far adrift by the end of November.

Macca

shit owners, shit managers, shit players roll up roll up and come to Coventry its the easiest job in football.

dazzle the locals with your awful win ratios!

impress them with your lower league signings

fool them once more with empty promises

test their counting skills with your goalscoring prowess

stimulate them with your last minute fuck ups

yes thats right, avoid a real job, come to Coventry, they'll cheer any old shit

Users who are viewing this thread