Why we are struggling.... (1 Viewer)

ccfc1234

The order of importance I will leave for others to debate:

1. We have poor forwards aside from Jackson and Nouble (on loan).

2. CCFC have a goalkeeper who I would not sign for a League 2 team.

3. In midfield we lack genuine width to stretch teams. They all saw Haynes V Gills and now push up onto our wing backs and its all too easy to shut us down out wide.

4. We have a manager who is very poor at spotting talent in the market

5. We have a chief Exec (Waggott) who is just as inept.

6. SP does not have a plan B to effect games - all top teams need to be adaptable.

Terry Gibson's perm

Can't disagree with this and think point 5 is a big one he is having a honeymoon period at the moment following the move, my view for what is it worth is that he is total garbage and most of the players he has helped to sign are the same.

Otis

3. In midfield we lack genuine width to stretch teams. They all saw Haynes V Gills and now push up onto our wing backs and its all too easy to shut us down out wide.

6. SP does not have a plan B to effect games - all top teams need to be adaptable.

For some strange reason SP seems to see something in Marcus Tudgay that the rest of us can't see.

Allsop is another worry.

We should have changed the system after about 25 mins, cos it clearly wasn't working. No idea why SP seemed to just cross his fingers and hope we'd make it through to half time goal less.

We did do that of course, but that was manily down to some dreadful distribution from Preston players once they were in good positions (the lad on the right for them wasted several crosses for instance).

Terry Gibson's perm

Otis he is more than a worry I would send him back on Monday morning in fact if he needs a lift I will give him a lift back to Bournemouth, if Burge is worse than him then he should pack up.

stupot07

1. We have poor forwards aside from Jackson and Nouble (on loan)- disagree I think Mcquid is also quiet useful

2. CCFC have a goalkeeper who I would not sign for a League 2 team - agreed unfortunately we have 2 of them

3. In midfield we lack genuine width to stretch teams. They all saw Haynes V Gills and now push up onto our wing backs and its all too easy to shut us down out wide. - we're only playing 3 in midfield,, wing backs are essentially defenders.

4. We have a manager who is very poor at spotting talent in the market - difficult to judge given constraints, but not particular promising so far, saying that only 1 of thorns league one signings has managed to make any impact for more than 1 season.

5. We have a chief Exec (Waggott) who is just as inept - please expand

6. SP does not have a plan B to effect games - all top teams need to be adaptable.- agreed

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

yet in his time has found McGoldrick, Fleck, Leon Clarke, Frank Moussa, Reda Johnson, Simone Jackson, Danny Pugh, Blair adams and Joe Murphy while working on a shoe string budget and some how convinced most of them players to join a league 1 side when most if not all could play at championship level.

waggott can only provide the players its up to pressley to train them and play them in a formation that flows if anyone is failing the players its pressley its not really whats waggott ment to do slap on a tracksuit and get down to ryton then hand pressley his teamsheet? lets face it he pulled off the mcgoldrick deal while we didnt even have a manager

shy_tall_knight

The formation seems to encouage a very negative approach, tend to pass the ball around in our own half and fail to get sufficient numbers into the box to threaten the opposition.

KersleyDigs

Biggest problem is having no width whatsoever in the opposition's attacking third. Too easy to defend against and means every pass out wide is either sideways or backwards. We aren't creating chances!

When Fleck (as a decent passer of the ball, with good vision) looks up, he has no forward pass options out wide OR any strikers making runs in behind!!!!! Hence pitter patter passes sideways and backwards AND chipped balls through the middle to our strikers, who have their backs to the goal....

Dire.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

yet in his time has found McGoldrick, Fleck, Leon Clarke, Frank Moussa, Reda Johnson, Simone Jackson, Danny Pugh, Blair adams and Joe Murphy while working on a shoe string budget and some how convinced most of them players to join a league 1 side when most if not all could play at championship level.

waggott can only provide the players its up to pressley to train them and play them in a formation that flows if anyone is failing the players its pressley its not really whats waggott ment to do slap on a tracksuit and get down to ryton then hand pressley his teamsheet? lets face it he pulled off the mcgoldrick deal while we didnt even have a manager

Waggott must rate him as he has just given Pressley a four year deal. There are some good players on that list but we only have half of them still here and were other teams breaking down doors to get Jackson & Pugh, it would be interesting to see a list of the poor players he has signed. If you throw enough s**t some is bound to stick and that seems to be his policy.

tomreagna

We've had a couple of bad games. Reda'll be back soon, the captain's influence'll make a huge difference. I think we're over-reacting.
There was a theory last season; that good performances at sixfields were down to a smaller, but less negative fan base.
I never believed it, but begin to worry there may be an element of truth to it.
Would you rather play in front of 800 committed supporters, or 10000 people pissing and moaning about value for money?

tomreagna

I'm not responding to this thread in paticular; just the general consensus on the board.

A month ago, we'd have killed to be playing in Cov again.

Now we want to play in Cov, have a new GK, new strikers and potentially a new manager?

Astute

If Waggott found the few decent players who found the crap ones?

We have signed about 24 players since SP joined our club IIRC. How many of those that you mentioned joined since then? Is it Waggott bringing in the players that don't seem to be able to play the way that SP wants? Is it our managers that choose the players and Waggott just does the contracts?

Praise where praise is due. A slating when one is due. But picking out the good bits to give praise or stick when we don't know for sure?

D

Deleted member 2477

Perhaps we should re sign sammy sideways clingan. He would be great in our team at the moment :D

Otis

The formation seems to encouage a very negative approach, tend to pass the ball around in our own half and fail to get sufficient numbers into the box to threaten the opposition.

It is a negative formation. Well, it is the way we deploy it.

I am increasingly doubtful that we have the personnel to make this system work for us. I sincerely hope Pressley is having doubts too and doesn't just show stubborness in continuing with it come hell or high water.

It needs a re-think. We aren't creating nearly enough chances in games at all.

RFC

The negative formation saw us go close on the opening day at Bradford but then went on a 7 game unbeaten run.

Having said that the last 3 results have been very disappointing and particularly Saturday's performance against Preston, that was the worst I've witnessed for 14 months!

It's going to be yet another roller coaster season.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

The negative formation saw us go close on the opening day at Bradford but then went on a 7 game unbeaten run.

Having said that the last 3 results have been very disappointing and particularly Saturday's performance against Preston, that was the worst I've witnessed for 14 months!

Makes you wish you were back at Sixfields doesn't it.

savosdad

Banned
But can we find anymore decent ones I think not lucks ran out we were lucky on our unbeaten run didnt take long to go on a losing run with the cunts we have

blueboy30

Was truly shocking up there with notts county away last season we've been found out Wud like to see number of changes especially hardman cm drafted in and 4-4-2 Wud also like to see Aaron Phillips at right back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savosdad

Banned

we have a totally inept football club from top to bottom the players dont really help

Otis

Another thing you need to factor in is the ability or inability to get the crowd going and on your side.

Perfect example on Saturday. Preston came out of the blocks all guns blazing, we were all very negative, hardly had any possession and the crowd were then immediately alienated. Crowds respond to passion and desire and great tackles and fast break away attacks and concerted pressure and near misses.

We didn't get any of that on Saturday and therefore we might as just as well have been playing away from home. The home crowd were taken out of the equation.

It is a very relevant point therefore about the negativity of the system we are deploying, especially at home. We start games negatively and we are immediately nullifying the effect a home crowd can have on a game.

Against Yeovil it was a great atmosphere and I do think that helped contribute to the match and we all know if you keep playing negatively and losing at home you are going to have boos echoing round the place in no time at all.

wal3590

Calm the f*ck down, we'll have Frank back on Saturday and he will make a huge difference and then Reda the week after, then we'll be licking Pressleys arse again!

Covstu

Calm the f*ck down, we'll have Frank back on Saturday and he will make a huge difference and then Reda the week after, then we'll be licking Pressleys arse again!

So we are reliant on a centre half to stem the goals conceeded as well as score them. Worrying really isnt it?

We have no width but this clearly isnt surprising given the formation but this is limiting the amount of goalscoring chances we are creating. The forward line is 'okay' but they are certainly not a patch on last seasons forward line.

Goalkeeper is very dicey indeed and needs to be looked at asap.

I agree SP doesnt have a plan B, we quickly run out of ideas and cannot switch tactics to cause teams a problem.

Otis

So we are reliant on a centre half to stem the goals conceeded as well as score them. Worrying really isnt it?

We have no width but this clearly isnt surprising given the formation but this is limiting the amount of goalscoring chances we are creating. The forward line is 'okay' but they are certainly not a patch on last seasons forward line.

Goalkeeper is very dicey indeed and needs to be looked at asap.

I agree SP doesnt have a plan B, we quickly run out of ideas and cannot switch tactics to cause teams a problem.

Well if SP plays the same system next Saturday you can well expect Crawley to have a plan to combat it too. At the moment the plan seems to be close down Ryan Haynes and nullify his quality balls from the left and try and pressurise us into having to play it long.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well if SP plays the same system next Saturday you can well expect Crawley to have a plan to combat it too. At the moment the plan seems to be close down Ryan Haynes and nullify his quality balls from the left and try and pressurise us into having to play it long.

Well the opposition know that Jordan Clarke will not deliver any sort of quality into the box there is more chance of him hitting me on the head in the stand than one of our forwards on the pitch.

Pressley needs to become more flexible in his approach Preston proved on Saturday how easy it is to stop.

ccfc1234

Well if SP plays the same system next Saturday you can well expect Crawley to have a plan to combat it too. At the moment the plan seems to be close down Ryan Haynes and nullify his quality balls from the left and try and pressurize us into having to play it long.

Our match on TV vs Gillingham really showed the whole league how to stop us playing down the left. In the 1st half Haynes was the MOTM and in the second he was marked/pressed out of the game and Gills looked very dangerous. All the L1 clubs will have seen this and now set up the way the Gills finished the match against us.

The above is why I really feel SP needs to get an established plan B and fast. Teams in this league are far more ridged in their shape and formation and less adaptable than top flight clubs so if SP can start to flip his formations in game with some effect we could find ourselves scoring before opposition managers have time to sufficiently react.

Also with the personal we have in the team currently surely flipping the formation would not be that hard to do (Clarke to RB, Haynes to LW etc)?

If SP is determined to seriously make the 5-3-2 work he needs to surly prioritize a RWB. Its not that Clarke is not fine in this position in his own half of the pitch, its just he is so poor in the final 3rd that the entire right side of the pitch becomes a laughing stock that teams can almost leave space in and press other areas, knowing full well his delivery 90 times out of 100 will be so woeful that it will come to nothing.

Have also said it for weeks we need 3 top draw forwards to get out of this league and for me we only have 2 currently.

Otis

Well the opposition know that Jordan Clarke will not deliver any sort of quality into the box there is more chance of him hitting me on the head in the stand than one of our forwards on the pitch.

Pressley needs to become more flexible in his approach Preston proved on Saturday how easy it is to stop.

As I said on Saturday, I think that was a bit of a false dawn for Preston. They seem to getting carried away and purring to their hearts content at how good they were, but they will never have an easier gams than that all season long.

We were powder puff, didn't change the system to counteract their tactics, didn't pressure them, didn't have any shots on target and our first corner was in the 88th minute.

It was so, so easy for Preston. Cannot see any team playing as badly as we did. It really was that dreadful.

davebart

I haven't seen the team and can only guess at what is happening but it seems to me that SP was brought in specifically because he has gone on record about working with youngsters and bringing them through. ie to reduce the wage bill. It would appear that is exactly what he has done.

A team of youngsters is therefore going to take time to develop. You possibly aren't going to see the best of them this season.

The concern is that if any youngster shows promise he is shipped out to balance the books which makes it impossible for SP to do the job.

No doubt also that Reda is massive to the team in every respect.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Another thing you need to factor in is the ability or inability to get the crowd going and on your side.

Perfect example on Saturday. Preston came out of the blocks all guns blazing, we were all very negative, hardly had any possession and the crowd were then immediately alienated. Crowds respond to passion and desire and great tackles and fast break away attacks and concerted pressure and near misses.

We didn't get any of that on Saturday and therefore we might as just as well have been playing away from home. The home crowd were taken out of the equation.

It is a very relevant point therefore about the negativity of the system we are deploying, especially at home. We start games negatively and we are immediately nullifying the effect a home crowd can have on a game.

Against Yeovil it was a great atmosphere and I do think that helped contribute to the match and we all know if you keep playing negatively and losing at home you are going to have boos echoing round the place in no time at all.

Doesn't help with fans scattered all over the place in small pockets

Users who are viewing this thread