Why the inconsistency (1 Viewer)

Major Tom

Seems like the positivity may be back on this board and the pitch after a woeful display against QPR where it looked like the heads had truly gone on the field.
Was it great team management by Robins yesterday to lift the players after last week...or ..
is there a wider issue in the management team that can’t motivate the players for each game.
I guess we will have to see which team turns up on the pitch at Bournemouth.

Last edited:

wingy

What was the situation previously was it up to Doyle to fire things up, maybe some of that has gone missing. Doesn't explain last season though.

cov donkey kick

It does seem a strange mentality team wise when home ground is an away venue so you would think mentality wise you have it as a team,maybe keeping that mentality for more away games is a bridge to far with further travelling different surroundings.
And maybe league 1 was an easier standard which it was as we all know.The step up to the championship is massive as we have always known and the extra quality at this level is far supieriour.

Evo1883

It does seem a strange mentality team wise when home ground is an away venue so you would think mentality wise you have it as a team,maybe keeping that mentality for more away games is a bridge to far with further travelling different surroundings.
And maybe league 1 was an easier standard which it was as we all know.The step up to the championship is massive as we have always known and the extra quality at this level is far supieriour.
The away form is quite simple to understand when you see how we set up ...
We definitely sit deeper and are less adventurous In attack .
The wing backs often don't get forward as much either.

It's the attitude of win your home games avoid defeat away

cc84cov

We look better in a flat 4 we certainly look better with 2 up front,never been a fan of 1 up front although it’s probably got its place at times & that’s away to Bournemouth but certainly was not the way to go home to Wycombe...the players might still be learning and adapting but the manager is,credit he got it right yesterday but still plenty of work today.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Seems like the positivity may be back on this board and the pitch after a woeful display against QPR where it looked like the heads had truly gone on the field.
Was it great team management by Robins yesterday to lift the players after last week...or ..
is there a wider issue in the management team that can’t motivate the players for each game.
I guess we will have to see which team turns up on the pitch at Bournemouth.

Two most experienced leaders back on the pitch in Fadz and Kelly. Two best strikers up front and O'Hare getting close enough to support them. Arguably some hungry fringe players in Eccles and Pask playing better than the people they replaced.

wingy

I just want to face teams who play a back 4,34 of our points have come that way apparently,.
So the question for me would be where are the flaws when we face five.

Evo1883

I just want to face teams who play a back 4,34 of our points have come that way apparently,.
So the question for me would be where are the flaws when we face five.

Stifles our wing backs ability to become involved and also if the opposition are playing wide men uptop as opposed to a narrow 21 or 12 like us they can double up on our wing back in attack, which in turn can drag your left and right centre halves out of position

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Two most experienced leaders back on the pitch in Fadz and Kelly. Two best strikers up front and O'Hare getting close enough to support them. Arguably some hungry fringe players in Eccles and Pask playing better than the people they replaced.

Think people really underestimate the influence of Fadz and Kelly

Notice how we went a lot more direct against Bristol and were rarely caught in possession in the middle of the pitch as we were time and again vs QPR

No doubt some of this was down to Kelly's decision making and game management. Not pretty to watch but it was effective

Gibbo

We have the 11th best home record and the worst away record in the division
That is all about the inability to score. There is always the liklihood you will concede away, so you need to grab the odd goal to get anything. All the scoreless draws at home says the same thing. Injuries, Walker & Godden not good enough, playing one up front - take your pick as to the reason. Maybe all three.

But I venture one up front (and that one being Max) and behind him O'Hare (who misses a lot) is not a good start. Now they are both fit (ish) you have to play Godden and Walker even away from home.

Brighton Sky Blue

That is all about the inability to score. There is always the liklihood you will concede away, so you need to grab the odd goal to get anything. All the scoreless draws at home says the same thing. Injuries, Walker & Godden not good enough, playing one up front - take your pick as to the reason. Maybe all three.

But I venture one up front (and that one being Max) and behind him O'Hare (who misses a lot) is not a good start. Now they are both fit (ish) you have to play Godden and Walker even away from home.

O'Hare was definitely getting some more efforts in yesterday. Think he really thrives in that role

Liquid Gold

I think Robins has been too cautious in our setups for most of the season not giving players enough freedom to attack which has resulted in bad results and performances and then the players losing confidence.

He has to believe we're good enough for the level as the players do.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think Robins has been too cautious in our setups for most of the season not giving players enough freedom to attack which has resulted in bad results and performances and then the players losing confidence.

He has to believe we're good enough for the level as the players do.

Pleased they took it on themselves to clear the air and sort their shit out.

Grendel

Pleased they took it on themselves to clear the air and sort their shit out.

It’s more that it was an away game. Bournemouth have lost at home as many times as us.

shmmeee

I can’t get past the fact a traditional 442 has five attacking players usually (2 ST 2 W 1 AM), most modern formations have 3/4 at least, we’ve been playing 5311 with just two attacking players then wondering why we don’t score goals.

Robins thinking on this is muddled for me, you’re going to look overrun in the middle of your midfield have no options ahead of them and the oppositions back line can step up as they’ve only got two players to worry about. Three forwards, whether is a 1 and a 2 or visa versa, is the minimum requirement to make the ball stick in the opponents half a bit.

Grendel

Liquid Gold

Not disagreeing that they're a poor side, but that Wycombe side won their subsequent games without conceding and have lost only once in 5 with 4 clean sheets.
AC Wycombe are playing really well at the moment but there is no denying we were properly garbage that day. As we were against Luton and QPR.

clint van damme

Not having Walker and Godden fit for large swathes of the season has had a massive impact.

Gosb

Inconsistency is an integral part of the beautiful game. How else to explain Preston winning at Swansea or Sheff Wed thumping Cardiff yesterday? Every fan yearns for 'consistency' but football is a game of fine margins which can make a team appear hopeless one day and world beaters the next. If you want 'consistency' there are plenty of other sports you can follow. If you want a bi-polar existence then stick with the Sky Blues.

fatso

It must be hard for the players to believe they can win, when for so much of the season they have played with one striker, and that one striker only averages 4 league goals a season.

Users who are viewing this thread