Why our crowds are awful (1 Viewer)

bigfatronssba

% wise , but they still get 24000 and have the biggest away following in the country every single season on average

So if your comment about us being the worst supported team for a city of our size wasn't based on a percentage, what was it based on?

Evo1883

So if your comment about us being the worst supported team for a city of our size wasn't based on a percentage, what was it based on?
Leeds are averaging 25000 based off last season , the rugby club are also averaging 15,000 , so its clearly a city with divided interests , im sure that we are not claiming to be better supported than leeds are we
point of note ...leeds getting 25000 based off 770,000 population , is still 1 in 30.8
coventry getting 10k based of 330,000 is 1 in 33 people

Last edited:

dongonzalos

As usual you are talking nonsense.

Thirty years ago in the top league we could get 10,000 fans. Football was very different then. It has now a far stronger and more consistent fan base across most teams. Even the ludricous comparison falls flat as according to your logic entertained fans come back . There was no negative view at all from the 27,000 who went to Gillingham. In fact bleating from those who couldn't attend was all we heard . It didn't attract one floating fan back the next game.

I suggest you look at those teams attendances in league one which was my comparison. Even in relegation seasons Norwich forest etc. retained far far more supporters than ours.

What next? A look at the lowest league attendance for forest in 1924 to make a point? The point is they are excuses. Entertaining football, don't make me laugh. Five pound a ticket with a promise to Wembley is the only entertainment most want .

Like I say you don't have admit you were wrong. We all know it ;)

skybluetony176

It would be interesting to see how much our average would go up if SISU fooked off.

There's clearly some NOPM hard liners out there who won't come back until SISU have gone and then I'm sure that there is another group of people who will only follow the club from afar while there is so much negativity surrounding the club for so many reasons including SISU still being involved.

bigfatronssba

Leeds are averaging 25000 based off last season , the rugby club are also averaging 15,000 , so its clearly a city with divided interests , im sure that we are not claiming to be better supported than leeds are we

40k fans attend Leeds sporting events (football & rugby). Around 5% of the city's population.

15k fans attend Coventry sporting events (football, rugby and hockey). Around 5% of the city's population.

No I'm not claiming that we are better supported than Leeds, just that using the size of a city to compare attendances is fundamentally flawed.

bigfatronssba

It would be interesting to see how much our average would go up if SISU fooked off.

There's clearly some NOPM hard liners out there who won't come back until SISU have gone and then I'm sure that there is another group of people who will only follow the club from afar while there is so much negativity surrounding the club for so many reasons including SISU still being involved.

I know plenty of people who just simply cant be bothered to go. They used to go out of loyalty and routine. The move to Northampton broke that.

How can we expect people to have loyalty to something that stabbed them in the stomach?

stupot07

40k fans attend Leeds sporting events (football & rugby). Around 5% of the city's population.

15k fans attend Coventry sporting events (football, rugby and hockey). Around 5% of the city's population.

No I'm not claiming that we are better supported than Leeds, just that using the size of a city to compare attendances is fundamentally flawed.

Not every Coventry fan is from Coventry, SBT survey suggests that only 45% of our fan base is from Coventry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Evo1883

But football wise it is , are you saying that rugby and hockey get 5k a week.
and also leeds carnegie can get upto 12000 a week , normally around 5-9000

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Not every Coventry fan is from Coventry, SBT survey suggests that only 45% of our fan base is from Coventry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

And not every Leeds fan will be from Leeds.

skybluetony176

I know plenty of people who just simply cant be bothered to go. They used to go out of loyalty and routine. The move to Northampton broke that.

How can we expect people to have loyalty to something that stabbed them in the stomach?

I bet we all know someone who feels like that.

SISU clearly don't have either the motivation or skill set to win these fans back over.

Following the triumphant return to the Ricoh followed by the Yeovil game crowds in just over a week it's clearly going to take a long time to heal some of the wounds SISU have cut. Them going could quickly improve that healing process.

bigfatronssba

But football wise it is , are you saying that rugby and hockey get 5k a week.
and also leeds carnegie can get upto 12000 a week , normally around 5-9000

Cov rugby get about a 1200, Blaze get around 2800, 11k for football is where I get our total 15k from.

bigfatronssba

Leeds get almost 50,000 from 3 teams , we get 15,000 .. It still doesnt alter that overall , we are poorly supported

Don't think anyone on the face of it would say 10K is good, my only argument is no other club would be getting more than that considering what we have been through.

In the last 13 years think how many fans must have passed away. Every other club will have replaced them with new young fans.

In the last 13 years what has the football club done to attract new fans? Getting beat week after week by poor championship sides won't encourage youngsters to return.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Leeds are in a similar situation you only have to look at the coaches from all over Yorkshire at their home games there are loads of them. The same applies to lots of clubs especially to one East Lancashire and one West Lancashire club,How many Arsenal,Tottenham or Chelsea fans live in the boroughs where their respective grounds are?

The Lurker

Clubs without a Football League top 6 finish in the last 13 years. As you can see, even all the others have had at least something positive happen in that time:

AFC Wimbledon 2nd in Conference 11/12 season
Bradford City 7th in League 2 (a play off place) 12/13 season
Cambridge U 2nd in Conference 13/14 season
Coventry City
Dag & Red 1st in Conference 06/07 season
Fulham Qualified for Europa League by finishing 7th 08/09 season
Middlesbrough Qualified for Uefa Cup by finishing 7th 04/05 season
Newport County 3rd in Conference 12/13 season
Oxford United 3rd in Conference 09/10 season
York City 7th in League 2 (a play off place) 13/14 season

Frankly we're just shit.

Exactly mate. And they wonder why we struggle for half decent crowds. Give me yo-yo club tag like Peterborough anyday over the shite we've had to put up with and the poor excuse of 34 years top flight. A 1/4 if not more sky blue fans never witnessed a kick in the top flight. That's who I feel sorry for the most and they wonder why we don't have many kids walking round in Cov tops. There's your answer

Kingokings204

Exactly mate. And they wonder why we struggle for half decent crowds. Give me yo-yo club tag like Peterborough anyday over the shite we've had to put up with and the poor excuse of 34 years top flight. A 1/4 if not more sky blue fans never witnessed a kick in the top flight. That's who I feel sorry for the most and they wonder why we don't have many kids walking round in Cov tops. There's your answer

I couldn't agree more. I'm 26 and I know other like Robo are 24 so both mid twenties. We both just caught Cov in the keane Mcallister huckerby and Dublin days but basically all we have ever known is shit. 2 relegations and no top 6 interest let alone a top 6 finish we never really had a realistic run at top 6.

So if we are mid twenties what about the teenagers and 5-12 year olds. I have never seen a 5-15 year old in a Cov top in the city. Very sad.

We need to change the culture of the club as SP says but we haven't have we. We are still full of modest players and selling all our best players so in the summer our best 3 players fucked off after our best player leaving in January in Clarke. People wonder why we only get 10k. Mix in the worst owners ever and a massive heartbreak and fall out over six fields. The club will never show any ambition and investment and imo league two is a matter of time just like getting relegated to league 1 was. To me I think it's all very simple.

AndreasB

ONE BAD GAME and suddenly everyone gives up. Still no excuse for a 10k attendance - embarrassing to tell people at work that our return to the Ricoh has been so lame in terms of support.

Face it, the regular fan base is about 10,000 hardy souls with the rest just big game hangers on. Been like that for years. Fisher will soon be able to say "told you so" . Might as well have stayed in Sixfields.

MichaelCCFC

Rudderless, no plan b, going nowhere, nothing positive - same on the pitch and off it yesterday. Everything short-term and on the cheap from players to non-electric ticketing and insufficient programmes

dongonzalos

ONE BAD GAME and suddenly everyone gives up. Still no excuse for a 10k attendance - embarrassing to tell people at work that our return to the Ricoh has been so lame in terms of support.

Face it, the regular fan base is about 10,000 hardy souls with the rest just big game hangers on. Been like that for years. Fisher will soon be able to say "told you so" . Might as well have stayed in Sixfields.

Like 90% of all other clubs.

You have your hardcore then you have your floaters who you have to attract.

It's life get over it.

The only way it will change for us is if we storm the league like Norwich and Leicester did in their most recent visits to division three.

Last edited:

Kingokings204

One bad game? I assume that's a joke. It has to be. We are a bunch of modest average players at best and most top 6 teams will beat us. We will never get promoted from this league without investment and ambition.

League 2 within 6 years imo. It's just waiting to happen. Exactly like the championship. We should of been relegated in 2008 really and every year after we finished low bottom half until the penny dropped and we finally got relegated. Sadly it was inevitable. I have the same feeling at the moment.

savosdad

Banned
Year on year on year we are served up total rubbish. I've supported the sky blues for 21 years and never have we finished above 8th in any season.

It's absolutely terrible. Everyone is sick to death of what we have to suffer. Why will people pay 25 to watch a load of trash

im amazed we get 10k

fed up up of it all
Totally agree never much to shout about dont think it will ever change with this bunch of muppetts

AndreasB

One bad game? I assume that's a joke. It has to be. We are a bunch of modest average players at best and most top 6 teams will beat us. We will never get promoted from this league without investment and ambition.

League 2 within 6 years imo. It's just waiting to happen. Exactly like the championship. We should of been relegated in 2008 really and every year after we finished low bottom half until the penny dropped and we finally got relegated. Sadly it was inevitable. I have the same feeling at the moment.

If thats how you feel then why all the bloody whingeing and bleating about how important it was to get back to the Ricoh then? Make your mind up.

Harry Krishner

I'll be going up the Crawley game next week- first game since the big move back as I couldn't get to the others.

I do so with mixed feelings- TBH I'm only going out of some perverted sense of duty as the footie has been tedious for years now. Also paying £22 quid to sit mute in a cavernous 2/3 empty stadium is a total drag and not what footie is about.

Having failed (for now) in their bid to get hold of the stadium, SISU are now just neglecting the club to death- running a bare bones squad while charging as much as they possibly can. Even though the impact of reducing prices to a tenner for the Gillingham game was incredible, the club still opted to go down the rip-off route with the effect that we are now seeing. They could have kept the same prices as at Sixfields, but no, we are all supposed to consider ourselves lucky that they've decided to keep the same prices they had two years ago- for what is effectively 3rd Division football.

The effect of the whole sorry charade has been to deprive the club of any kind of momentum- difficult to start and maintain at the best of times- despite the best efforts of SP and the crew. But if the owners so blatantly don't give a fuck, why should the supporters? Do people have any real idea how little of a fuck SISU actually give? A "business" that suddenly requires its customers to make a 70-mile round trip to come and give them money, and then charges them an extra tenner for reverting to business as usual??

Despite all this, I'm still glad to see them back, and will go up when it's not too much trouble. It really would be a positive move if SISU were to fuck off though, and get owners in who were actually bothered.

PUSB.

HK.

ccfctommy

We have played most of the team who will finish top six and have got points off them.

J

Jack Griffin

All this arguing about percentage attendances is just so much ludicrous babble.

You won't see big crowds unless there is some success.

Ashdown

There desperately needs an element of professionalism injected into the club at all levels. The main gripe has to be the ball ache people have had obtaining tickets, the ticket office service is now very poor............Ring up and you get an answerphone, buy online and you may be faced with a lengthy queue on match day at the kiosk, not everyone can get to the Gallagher site to buy at the office.
There is very little incentive to attract casual supporters in the pricing. People want to have the choice to attend when/if they want with the minimum of ease and with prices that reflect where the club is at in 2014/15. At the moment and with the quality of squad we have and the entertainment likely to be offered then £24 on the day is just too much and I'm not talking about a guy going up with his mates, I'm talking couples and families where that cost is poor value when multiplied.
The home shirt is woeful, looks like a Sunday league kit.
Even the ball boys yesterday had no sense of urgency, they just looked detached and apathetic.
I've done the first 3 home games back but I can see why others cannot be persuaded and next week I'll go to The Butts instead.

Otis

Oh really? I thought being back at the Ricoh was the answer to everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought everyone was so happy we were back home that they'd give the team their full committed loyalty past one single home game. It seems to be a case of 'How wonderful we're back home, but now we're back home it's everything back to normal.'

If numbers had turned up previously while we were at the Ricoh we'd never have left in the first place!

J

Jack Griffin

Oh really? I thought being back at the Ricoh was the answer to everything.

There is no answer to everything you idiot, but getting rid of SISU will help a lot.

Ashdown

I thought everyone was so happy we were back home that they'd give the team their full committed loyalty past one single home game. It seems to be a case of 'How wonderful we're back home, but now we're back home it's everything back to normal.'

If numbers had turned up previously while we were at the Ricoh we'd never have left in the first place!

I can sympathise with your point of view. It's fair to say that Coventry people do not support their sports teams like they should do. We've had the Football and Rugby clubs in administration, the Ice Hockey club in financial trouble and I wonder how the Bees will cope in time if the Brandon Stadium and land has been sold?
However all that said, none of these clubs market themselves particularly well and only the Speedway and Ice Hockey teams have had any recent success. Coventry is rarely a proud City though, it's citizens are the first to pull it to bits and this reflects at times in their passion for everything Coventry, even it's only major theatre nearly went out of business a few years back.
For Coventry and all it's teams to compete, it's people need to invest in the City itself and help that infrastructure and the people who depend on it to get wealthier collectively. There seems to be a tendency to shop in Birmingham, Dine in South Warks and party almost anywhere but CV1. The City needs hard cash and so do it's sports teams.
As I say though, they all need to smarten their appeal and become affordable to the masses or we'll just end up a poor suburb of Birmingham with nothing to identify ourselves with !
Tomorrow night the Coventry Bees ride in the play offs against Swindon at Brandon, I'll be there with all the family, I hope others who want to contribute make the effort !

Nick

Administrator
To be fair, I would shop in the city centre if I wanted a birthday card, a dodgy clothes shop with Mr Boombastic blaring out, a mobile phone contract or a charity shop.

bigfatronssba

I can sympathise with your point of view. It's fair to say that Coventry people do not support their sports teams like they should do. We've had the Football and Rugby clubs in administration, the Ice Hockey club in financial trouble and I wonder how the Bees will cope in time if the Brandon Stadium and land has been sold?
However all that said, none of these clubs market themselves particularly well and only the Speedway and Ice Hockey teams have had any recent success. Coventry is rarely a proud City though, it's citizens are the first to pull it to bits and this reflects at times in their passion for everything Coventry, even it's only major theatre nearly went out of business a few years back.
For Coventry and all it's teams to compete, it's people need to invest in the City itself and help that infrastructure and the people who depend on it to get wealthier collectively. There seems to be a tendency to shop in Birmingham, Dine in South Warks and party almost anywhere but CV1. The City needs hard cash and so do it's sports teams.
As I say though, they all need to smarten their appeal and become affordable to the masses or we'll just end up a poor suburb of Birmingham with nothing to identify ourselves with !
Tomorrow night the Coventry Bees ride in the play offs against Swindon at Brandon, I'll be there with all the family, I hope others who want to contribute make the effort !

Your being a bit unfair there. Cov Rugby and the Blaze get very respectable crowds, I am unsure of the Bees as they don't seem to publish that sort of information.

Rugby League 1 Averages 13/14

1. Coventry 1208
2. Darlington 1205
3. Richmond 751
4. Fylde 705
5. Wharfdale 670
6. Esher 557
7. Blackenheath 532
8. Rosslyn Park 501
9. Blaydon 475
10. Cinderford 424
11. Macclesfield 414
12. Ealing 412
13. Old Albanians 375
14. Tynedale 361
15. Loughboro 341
16. Hartpury 285

Elite Hockey League Averages 11/12 (most recent I could find)

1. Nottingham Panthers 4,627
2. Belfast Giants 4,147
3. Sheffield Steelers 3,901
4. Braehead Clan 1,974
5. Coventry Blaze 1,969
6. Cardiff Devils 1,385
7. Fife Flyers 1,181
8. Hull Stingrays 952
9. Dundee Stars 811
10. Edinburgh Capitals 782

AndreasB

It would make next to none and you know it

Users who are viewing this thread