Why is there an air of smug satisfaction on this forum tonight ? (1 Viewer)

Martin180

Once again our club is a laughing stock yet some posters seem to be revelling in the mess........

Martin180

My mobile has been going non stop mate , texts from supporters of Leicester , Forest ,Blues,Villa and even one Wallsall fan taking the piss .

We are 3 games into our L1 campaign and we have sacked our manager , i wonder why fans of other clubs would find that a reason to take the piss ?

Nick

Administrator
Taking the piss why? Surely they would find the fact we were two nil up against bury and drew funnier?

I can't see the humour in a manager being sacked?

SkyblueBazza

Once again our club is a laughing stock yet some posters seem to be revelling in the mess........

Because they disagreed with ATs way of doing & wanted him out. Now they have their way, they believe only good will come it...but we all have to wait & see on that one - 3yrs or more into the future.
My concern is that - even if the replacement takes us back to the championship - when a middling Premium club come knocking...they'll be off - & we will be back where we are now.

Grendel

The only reason we were a laughing stock was because we had the useless clueless fool Thorn as our manager - a pitiful embarrassment to represent us to the media. Don't kid yourself. We will hopefully now return to some normality rather than be the Carry On of football.

Sick Boy

It sounds to me as though someone can't accept they were backing someone who was clearly not up to the job.

Our rival fans that I know have always been keen for us to hang on to Thorn......I wonder why!? They are gutted he has been sacked.

Grendel

It sounds to me as though someone can't accept they were backing someone who was clearly not up to the job.

Our rival fans that I know have always been keen for us to hang on to Thorn......I wonder why!? They are gutted he has been sacked.

And preying they are not next!!! :eek:

Nick

Administrator
I still cant see how you can take the piss?

Haha your manager has been sacked?

Haha 3 games in and your manager has been sacked?

He was shit we were lucky to get 3from 3 trouble is if Shaw gets 3points -he's got the job my call is someone cheap! Thorn out sisu out one down!

Yorkshire SB

You can't see how rival fans can take the piss? Is it not glaringly obvious. I've received texts from several mates along the lines of 'see cov started well, manager gone already'.
This is not something to be celebrated, it represents 18 awful months. If there talk of him 'losing the dressing room' then lets hope it's Thorn's poor man management and not the fact we could have some unruly players at our club.
Let's hope we can recover, but believe me Thorn is not solely to blame for this mess. There are some incredibly harsh and unfair comments on the forum tonight in regards to Thorn and I'd like to give Thorn a little credit for assembling a squad that will be able to compete in this division, Jennings, Barton and Fleck all look like truly excellent signings.
I really hope we get a manager of the Paul Lambert mould, but until then I'm certainly not celebrating tonight as many others seem to be.

Martin180

You can't see how rival fans can take the piss? Is it not glaringly obvious. I've received texts from several mates along the lines of 'see cov started well, manager gone already'.
This is not something to be celebrated, it represents 18 awful months. If there talk of him 'losing the dressing room' then lets hope it's Thorn's poor man management and not the fact we could have some unruly players at our club.
Let's hope we can recover, but believe me Thorn is not solely to blame for this mess. There are some incredibly harsh and unfair comments on the forum tonight in regards to Thorn and I'd like to give Thorn a little credit for assembling a squad that will be able to compete in this division, Jennings, Barton and Fleck all look like truly excellent signings.
I really hope we get a manager of the Paul Lambert mould, but until then I'm certainly not celebrating tonight as many others seem to be.
Glad someone else lives outside the skyblue bubble pal , thought i was all alone in the real world .I have said all night i`m not a Thorn fan but if this was Villa or Leics tonight the forum would be full of pisstakers

torchomatic

People should be careful what they wish for. It'll be an interesting time on here now especially the vocal members screaming for his head after every game.

Yorkshire SB

Glad someone else lives outside the skyblue bubble pal , thought i was all alone in the real world .I have said all night i`m not a Thorn fan but if this was Villa or Leics tonight the forum would be full of pisstakers

I'm indifferent to Thorn to be honest. Not sure I ever believed he was the man to guide us to any success. However last season he barely had 11 senior professionals (and this was after losing 5 of our best players in 6 months) that could play 90 minutes, had he kept us up, I'd say it would've been the best managerial achievement at the club since we were relegated. But he didn't and only three games into the new season, he's been sacked, fair.

Martin180

I'm indifferent to Thorn to be honest. Not sure I ever believed he was the man to guide us to any success. However last season he barely had 11 senior professionals (and this was after losing 5 of our best players in 6 months) that could play 90 minutes, had he kept us up, I'd say it would've been the best managerial achievement at the club since we were relegated. But he didn't and only three games into the new season, he's been sacked, fair.
He has been allowed to bring in a lot of decent players too but not been given any time to mould them into a solid side , unless there has been some sort of altercation with players then the whole timing of the sacking is bizarre

Yorkshire SB

He has been allowed to bring in a lot of decent players too but not been given any time to mould them into a solid side , unless there has been some sort of altercation with players then the whole timing of the sacking is bizarre

Yeah that's what I cannot understand, if there were off the field problems, why not sack Thorn before pre-season. Surely they've not sacked Thorn on the basis of 45 minutes against Bury?

Martin180

Yeah that's what I cannot understand, if there were off the field problems, why not sack Thorn before pre-season. Surely they've not sacked Thorn on the basis of 45 minutes against Bury?
You would hope not , i wonder how any on here still think the away point at Yeovil was a bad result too :D

dongonzalos

I also have had comments 1 from a man utd fan, the other from 2 villa fans and one from an Everton fan.

All saying how can you sack a manager for drawing 3 games and been undefeated.
They took the piss saying we think we are Barcelona.

Martin180

I also have had comments 1 from a man utd fan, the other from 2 villa fans and one from an Everton fan.

All saying how can you sack a manager for drawing 3 games and been undefeated.
They took the piss saying we think we are Barcelona.
We`re not ? :eek:

Sutty

There's an old saying 'panicking is fine if you panic early enough'. The signs from last season have not gone away. If the board have lost confidence in him, why wait? Do it now and give someone a near full season to work with.

You never know, we could be here in 9 months time saying, 'thank God we didn't give Thorn 10 games, those extra 7 matches under manager X were vital in us achieving promotion'.

It could go the other way of course but I don't think it was as knee-jerk as many are making it out to be.

The CableGuy

Who cares what they think? Their all in the Premiership land of milk and honey.

I liked AT, but....seriously, this inability to hold onto a lead killed us last season. Granted, we lost a lot of players, but even if we won one third of the games we were winning, we would still be in the Championship. Leading 1-0 at Palace after 90 minutes and not even getting a point comes to mind.

Players weren't fit. Opposition Managers out-tacting AT at key moments. Subs not deployed at correct times. Half-arsed performances when the team only turns up for, at best, 45 minutes in a game.

New season. New players. Same shit. What lessons have been learnt from last season? Early days, but the early answer seems to 'fook all'.

If we could keep a lead, we would be 2 points clear at the top of the table tonight.

Still can't kill teams off. Still can't perform for more than 45 minutes. Still get outwitted by opposition managers (fair play to Bury). Players still look mentally weak when things don't go according to plan.

So, while the sacking is a bit harsh, it was probably the right call. We were meant to hit the ground running. We haven't done that.

I don't expect Barca footy. I just want a team of players to perform in a professional manner. If they had done that over the last 18 months we would all be a lot happier.

Last edited:

Grendel

There was a suggestion on the radio he had already been told before kick off.

Martin180

There's an old saying 'panicking is fine if you panic early enough'. The signs from last season have not gone away. If the board have lost confidence in him, why wait? Do it now and give someone a near full season to work with.

You never know, we could be here in 9 months time saying, 'thank God we didn't give Thorn 10 games, those extra 7 matches under manager X were vital in us achieving promotion'.

It could go the other way of course but I don't think it was as knee-jerk as many are making it out to be.
I`m hoping it wasnt knee jerk but surely it all suggests it is .Thorn is allowed time in the summer to bring in 10 new players and starts with 1 win ,3draws and no defeats yet is sacked

Paxman II

Come on guys. You are protecting Thorn out of sympathy here.

He did not get sacked for 45 minutes against Bury. It was a combination of being his hand picked squad, which seem good for this level and on paper one of the strongest in this league and as a manager was unable to get them playing with any consistancy - just as last year.
As a scout I think he has talent in spotting a player. As a tactically astute manager he has glaring faults which after getting his coaching badges and a new season with his choice of players he was still clearly demonstarting he had learn't nothing in the art of managing or coaching on game day...a requiremnent of the highest order.

Unfortunately for him CCFC (SISU) don't have the luxury of time and must have a good season this year. The consequencies of a bad season in this league are too grave to think about. Thorn was backed, given the opportunity and the dimmest of fans would see that the man will not turn the corner not matter how committed he is. So why wait a few more games and make it more difficult for the new man? Send a signal we mean business THIS year and the new man coming in and the fans in the stands will understand we mean business.

I for one get that and look forward to whoever comes in. Appoint someone half decent and we will have a huge opportunity of promotion.
Why did they not get rid of him last year? Frankly I said at the time I felt they had decided on the worse scenario already and were not prepared to gamble on a new expensive guy who may not of saved us, rather waiting till we had cheaper overheads and able to compete at this level on a more than fair basis than most in this league. Could have been the most astute and gutsy decision seen at CCFC. It may yet pay off handsomely and that's why they won't sit back and watch Thorn's style destroy it.

I think we should be looking forward to better days ahead...

Big Mo

Anyone think if malagas goal wasn't disallowed against shef u that thorn would still be in a job? Right or wrong over 3 games it feels like fine margins

Yorkshire SB

Who cares what they think? Their all in the Premiership land of milk and honey.

I liked AT, but....seriously, this inability to hold onto a lead killed us last season. Granted, we lost a lot of players, but even if we won one third of the games we were winning, we would still be in the Championship. Leading 1-0 at Palace after 90 minutes and not even getting a point comes to mind.

Players weren't fit. Opposition Managers out-tacting AT at key moments. Subs not deployed at correct times. Half-arsed performances when the team only turns up for, at best, 45 minutes in a game.

New season. New players. Same shit. What lessons have been learnt from last season? Early days, but the early answer seems to 'fook all'.

If we could keep a lead, we would be 2 points clear at the top of the table tonight.

Still can't kill teams off. Still can't perform for more than 45 minutes. Still get outwitted by opposition managers (fair play to Bury). Players still look mentally weak when things don't go according to plan.

So, while the sacking is a bit harsh, it was probably the right call. We were meant to hit the ground running. We haven't done that.

I don't expect Barca footy. I just want a team of players to perform in a professional manner. If they had done that over the last 18 months we would all be a lot happier.

Well what you're saying is all well and good, but for large parts of last season we were operating with two 18 year olds and one 17 year old in the starting line up. Are they as physically fit as a 25 year old senior pro, absolutely not. This wasn't Thorn's fault, it was through having no investment whatsoever, apart from from signing two goalkeepers. We lost games from winning positions because the players didn't believe they would win, we were a poor side in that division, favourites for relegation with the bookies before a ball was kicked. You lose a few games, you develop a losing mentality, and that's what happened. When we were winning, the players were nervous. You could argue Thorn has to manage that and try to give the players more belief, but I would suggest that most managers would have struggled.
I don't know if Thorn would've been any good this year, but I certainly don't believe he had a fair crack at it, so why didn't something happen before pre-season.

Martin180

Wouldnt say protecting Thorn , more trying to understand the decision.

For me last season was horrible , from top to bottom .Thorn did his best ,wore his heart on his sleeve and was short changed by SISU until it was too late.Time for change then sack him then .

You have the summer for a new manager as it stands ,the now new manager to bring in his own players.

Now we have the situation again where the manager hasnt got his players , he has got Thorns recruits and squad .Where is the logic and planning in that ?

It is a strange decision cause of the timing ,Thorn has had the summer to work with and get to know the players and some have spoke out in support of him .Now a new man comes in ,he has to work with someones elses signings .Has to work to get hisstyle of play and has to get the players working for him .

Will probably take 8 - 10 games ......... deja vu but werent there numerous threads about this ......?

Users who are viewing this thread