Why is our passing so poor in the final third? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Absolutely delighted with the start we’ve made, beyond our dreams for this season so far, let’s be honest. More than happy with a point at a tough place to go especially as they scored a 2. The guy who headed it in wasn’t offside, the guy in front of him was.

For me, the progression is there to see. We’re going up in levels at a rapid pace. Off the ball, on the ball, passing style, identity, ethos etc, it’s Barcelona esque at times.
Finishing is our only missing jigsaw piece. We’ve won 6 but by the odd goal apart from Boro which id take but we are missing chances. Thing is, if our strikers were deadly, we wouldn’t have them long would we?
All we can do is keep developing. I’d be more worried if we weren’t creating chances at all.
Only won 5 but point still stands. He was offside and played the ball it’s not even a debate

Love we were the team pushing at the end

Reppz

It’s not just a Coventry thing. I watched Wolves vs Brentford yesterday and the Wolves final ball let them down every time.

That being said it does seriously need addressing, O’Hare being the main cause for concern. He played a pathetic pass out wide to the right in the second half whilst in a promising position that I expect most children would have done better with. His finishing is up there with the worst I have ever seen in a Coventry shirt and that’s honestly not an exaggeration; it’s almost laughable how bad it is. Sheaf also played a few stinker passes and had a few poor efforts from outside the box.

I’d like to see Allen for O’Hare next game just to see how he does in that position.

With the exception of Hamer & Gyok we don’t seem to have anyone who can strike a ball from distance.

Gint11

Only won 5 but point still stands. He was offside and played the ball it’s not even a debate

Love we were the team pushing at the end

Ah yes. I had 6 in my head from looking at the live table when we were 1-0 up!

The lad who scored look onside to me and his team mate who was more central looked clearly off but tbf I wasn’t there, only seen on TV.

Sky Blue Pete

Ah yes. I had 6 in my head from looking at the live table when we were 1-0 up!

The lad who scored look onside to me and his team mate who was more central looked clearly off but tbf I wasn’t there, only seen on TV.
Could have been given but as he went for the ball I don’t see how it wouldn’t have been a tad unfair.

Marty

Have to agree, the amount of chances we create but let down by a final ball. Needs to be addressed, all players are guilty of it. For me Hamer needs to start shooting if it opens up from 25 yards. Sheaf was wasteful yesterday with loose passes where a shot was probably a better option. O'Hare is more likely to hit the team bus then the back of the net. Need more goals from midfield but they're working so hard all game,
Who was the last player we had that would constantly hit it from outside the box and hit the net? David Thompson maybe?

Brighton Sky Blue

Have to agree, the amount of chances we create but let down by a final ball. Needs to be addressed, all players are guilty of it. For me Hamer needs to start shooting if it opens up from 25 yards. Sheaf was wasteful yesterday with loose passes where a shot was probably a better option. O'Hare is more likely to hit the team bus then the back of the net. Need more goals from midfield but they're working so hard all game,
Who was the last player we had that would constantly hit it from outside the box and hit the net? David Thompson maybe?

Hamer last year was always having a go from outside the box and that memorable effort from the half way line too. This season he’s a lot more in his shell even though we know he has it in his locker. Is he being instructed to look for the pass or is he genuinely just more reluctant?

Evo1883

Hamer last year was always having a go from outside the box and that memorable effort from the half way line too. This season he’s a lot more in his shell even though we know he has it in his locker. Is he being instructed to look for the pass or is he genuinely just more reluctant?

Not sure about the shooting , but his all round game is more accomplished this season .. less Holywood balls , more disciplined .

Brighton Sky Blue

Not sure about the shooting , but his all round game is more accomplished this season .. less Holywood balls , more disciplined .

Agree on that, but he has been in some positions where the shot was definitely on and he still prefers the pass. If nothing else it would create a bit more unpredictability

Brylowes

I appreciate that the most difficult passes to execute are in the final third but we seem to murder teams in midfield only for our final pass to let us down. I have lost count this year in the number of games we have got into the oppositions area or edge of the area only to make a rubbish pass that misses our players or is intercepted. Is it because the players are still getting to know each other or do they get a nosebleed in the final third? We should have had a hatful of goals against Cardiff and Milwall but our passing in the opposition box was dreadful overall. It seems to be shared with all our players, Hamer, O'Hare, Sheaf, Maa, Gyo, Kane, Godden, Allen and Dabo, have all been all guilty of a rubbish final ball. Also our edge of the box shooting was dreadful in most of the games. Opinions if this is just early season rustiness or just lack of ability, or confidence.
Teams tend to have more time on the ball and more room to pick a pass when moving the ball out of defence and through midfield on account of the opposition having to take up positions spread over a large section of the pitch, as the attacking side hones in on the opposition penalty area the pitch naturally becomes narrower and more congested leaving players with less room and time on the ball which in turn greatly increases any margins of error.
Its the same for all teams at all levels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread