Why I would sell Maddison (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

The rumour machine is rumbling but if true and Arsenal or any other PL club are seriously interested in signing James Maddison sadly i would snap their hands off. I say sadly because starlets like Maddison are hard to come by and in the ideal football world would become a main ingredient in our future fortunes on the pitch. Unfortunately our football world is not ideal, but money, big money from an out going transfer could and should go a long way to building a team to get out of this shite division we have become encased in.

I know SISU will want their pound of flesh but if Tony Mowbray can convince them for a decent percentage to come his way for transfer and team building that is more likely to drive a serious promotion push THIS season more than the services of a young prodigy like Maddison and in a way contribute to a promotion bid more than he would on the pitch.

In Tony Mowbray we have a manager with proven ability in the transfer market and i think to push on he now needs to bring more established and experienced players to the squad rather than more 18 year old loanees. Personally i believe this is a bit of paper talk but there has been suggestions that Tottenham are keen on him in if Wenger is too that might spur on early move for him.

Otis

Well it's all about the fee isn't it. Every player has his price. They want to throw several million our way then we should indeed snap their hands off.

Would be wanting him back here on loan though for the season if possible.

chiefdave

I think its too early to sell him, both for his career and for our benefit. We should certainly look to get him back if anyone who signs him then loans him out, make sure that's in the contract.

Of course money comes into it, both from the clubs point of view and the players. Seems that Bigi is set for life after moving to Newcastle and spending a couple of years in the reserves, offers like that will always turn a players head.

Otis

I think its too early to sell him, both for his career and for our benefit. We should certainly look to get him back if anyone who signs him then loans him out, make sure that's in the contract.

Of course money comes into it, both from the clubs point of view and the players. Seems that Bigi is set for life after moving to Newcastle and spending a couple of years in the reserves, offers like that will always turn a players head.

It is too early to sell him from a footballing point of view. From a business stance though, if someone is willing to throw millions at a player, then it makes perfect sense to grab the cash.

As you say, look at Bigi. Maddison looks the real deal, but then people were saying Jose Baxter was going to be as good as, if not better than Rooney.

Players sometimes show so much promise but then don't go on to fulfill it.

rupert_bear

If it happened i doubt very much we would get him back on loan especially from Arsenal. He is coming up 19 and Arsene Wenger is very much a young player person and always ahead of the game. He has a host of top midfielders but if he believes a players out there has better potential than what he has he'll snap him up, he'll know who from his present crop who may be on their way soon Jack Wiltshire ? for example and will cover that base.

LB87ccfc

Maddisons very very early career would be effectively over if he moved to Arsenal, far too many on their books already who would be ahead of him.

CJ_covblaze

Loads of PL and Championship clubs were sending scouts to watch him, Harries and one or two others last season. Arsenal and Stoke had someone there at virtually every game. If Maddison was to go now (more likely next year) it would make sense for the buyer to send him straight back to us for the season and possibly have an agreement that he will be here again for another year if we get promoted so he gets a year at a level above. Young talent needs to be nurtured in the correct way. Kids go to big clubs and get wasted far too often. Keep them on their toes but comfortable until they're ready.

Gint11

If Arsenal off 3million or more and will loan him back for rest of the season then he has to go. We all want him to be a CCFC for long as possible but in reality it doesnt happen. We will see. Personally he needs to do more than play well in 5 games to prove his good for Arsenal? Remember Conor Thomas to Liverpool? He is a gem though and will no doubt go higher sooner rather than later.

Wrightdog

Selling our best players got us to where we are today! Taking your logic, we sold Keane, reinvested in a few players who we expected to be good (Bellamy for example) and look what happened! We need to invest on top of keeping Madison and the likes of, get up to the Prem and then sell if the player wishes to leave. Look at Calum Wilson's value now, £10-£15 million at a guess if he continues to prove himself in the Prem. Had we of kept Leon Clarke at Christmas the season before last, I feel we would've had a chance of the playoffs and then who knows. Wilson could've then fired us to the Prem as he did with Bournemouth with some luck and further investment. Having sold Wilson so cheaply, if I was the owner of this club, I'd be looking back now thinking that could've been us on Saturday.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Oxlade Chamberlain went to Arsenal following a season in league one for £12 rising to £15M. I guess that's a good indicator of market value.

rupert_bear

I bet Maddison wouldn't agree with that. Footballers want to play at the highest level and are usually very confident of their own abilities. Yes i agree another year or two would be ideal for him and probably us, but football doesn't stand still and players have to grab the opportunity when it occurs. Was an 18 year old Wayne Rooney too yound when he left Everton ? Not sure how old Theo Walcott was when he joined Arsenal about 18 i think and still not a first name on the teamsheet at 26, been a bit unlucky with injuries i know, but he grabbed the nettle at the time, he had too

rupert_bear

Selling our best players got us to where we are today! Taking your logic, we sold Keane, reinvested in a few players who we expected to be good (Bellamy for example) and look what happened!
That quote answers your question, Bellamy was a good player who went on to be as successful as Robbie Keane at a number of clubs, the problem here was who the manager was and where he played him mainly on the wing. Today we have a proper manager who i believe would sign the right players to progress.

Ashdown

Tell you what, why don't we just sell any of our young players with any promise right at the start of the season for whatever cash we can get for them without ever really seeing any major benefit to our own promotion hopes for at least a season. Continually doing this will consign us to forever staying at this appalling level, put off other players and managers from joining us and keep SISU in situ. Whilst they can run us without financial input with a chance of gaining interest payments and not declaring their accrued losses to their investors they will stay put. If you want a club that only survives but never achieves anything then fine but.............

rupert_bear

I agree Ashdown but how can you stop that, sisu hold all the cards and jokers. Until a real knight in shining armour turns up and gets us away from them that will happen all the time.

Captain Dart

As long as the decision to sell is driven more by Mowbray's footballing needs and not Waggots budgetary needs I think it would be acceptable.

LB87ccfc

Wouldn't get any more than 2m for Maddison at this stage of his career, a handful of appearances in league one and yet to break into International football for his age group or indeed add regular goals from midfield ( ie delle ali style) to go with his dazzling footwork.

Would be a waste for all parties involved, unless it was a 2 year loan deal plus the cash.

Sick Boy

If they offered 6 million with extra add-ons and loaned him back to us for this season and next I would snap their hands off.

Sick Boy

Selling our best players got us to where we are today! Taking your logic, we sold Keane, reinvested in a few players who we expected to be good (Bellamy for example) and look what happened! We need to invest on top of keeping Madison and the likes of, get up to the Prem and then sell if the player wishes to leave. Look at Calum Wilson's value now, £10-£15 million at a guess if he continues to prove himself in the Prem. Had we of kept Leon Clarke at Christmas the season before last, I feel we would've had a chance of the playoffs and then who knows. Wilson could've then fired us to the Prem as he did with Bournemouth with some luck and further investment. Having sold Wilson so cheaply, if I was the owner of this club, I'd be looking back now thinking that could've been us on Saturday.

How do you propose the club pays its operating costs? Individuals donating endless amounts of money and then quietly walking away when their money is gone? Are you going to stump up several million?

All clubs sell their best players apart from a very select few. Even Man Ud!

Otis

How do you propose the club pays its operating costs? Individuals donating endless amounts of money and then quietly walking away when their money is gone? Are you going to stump up several million?

All clubs sell their best players apart from a very select few. Even Man Ud!

So true. We are a selling club. This is the only way we are going to survive.

chiefdave

If, as we are told, the club is running self sufficiently now then there is no need to sell players to cover costs. So the reasons to sell would be the player wanting to go, TM deciding he'd rather have the money to spend than the player or SISU wanting to take money out to pay a debt from the period prior to self sufficiency.

rupert_bear

As i see it we need promotion, this season the gap between league one and the championship is getting wider and wider. A lump of extra cash giving TM a bit of extra clout for recruitment could be the key to getting out. The championship brings in over £4million in TV money i believe, less than half a million in this division. I also think with Mowbray at the helm we can go up with a squad that can compete in that league. Yes it comes a bit late for this window but come January having extra dosh might be the difference between going up or staying put.

Gint11

Tell you what, why don't we just sell any of our young players with any promise right at the start of the season for whatever cash we can get for them without ever really seeing any major benefit to our own promotion hopes for at least a season. Continually doing this will consign us to forever staying at this appalling level, put off other players and managers from joining us and keep SISU in situ. Whilst they can run us without financial input with a chance of gaining interest payments and not declaring their accrued losses to their investors they will stay put. If you want a club that only survives but never achieves anything then fine but.............

Your right but you know what happens in reality. Everything in football comes down to 1 thing, money. Always will now. If 1.5Mill + comes in for anyone, you think SISU will say no? NO club keeps their players all of the time. Not even Barca, Real or Bayern. Sweinsteiger? Pedro? etc

Gint11

If, as we are told, the club is running self sufficiently now then there is no need to sell players to cover costs. So the reasons to sell would be the player wanting to go, TM deciding he'd rather have the money to spend than the player or SISU wanting to take money out to pay a debt from the period prior to self sufficiency.

The club isnt running self sufficiently though is it? We are still losing money.

Astute

I would hope that if we did sell him it would be because TM decided to. I wouldn't like to think what would happen if TM wanted to keep him and SISU overruled him. He is supposed to have full control on who comes and who goes. And if it is in his contract as it might well be we could lose Madders and TM at the same time.

Astute

The club isnt running self sufficiently though is it? We are still losing money.

We are spending 60% of income on players wages at the most. So how much do you think we are losing?

Otis

As i see it we need promotion, this season the gap between league one and the championship is getting wider and wider. A lump of extra cash giving TM a bit of extra clout for recruitment could be the key to getting out. The championship brings in over £4million in TV money i believe, less than half a million in this division. I also think with Mowbray at the helm we can go up with a squad that can compete in that league. Yes it comes a bit late for this window but come January having extra dosh might be the difference between going up or staying put.

If we sold Maddison and got 3 good players in, into the bargain as well as a stack load of cash that could well prove to be a very good deal for us.

Sky Blue Harry H

So true. We are a selling club. This is the only way we are going to survive.

But if we challenge at the top of a division for once, the cash will come via the turnstiles (sell Maddison and the little bit of a spark that has been ignited within our fanbase at our club recently will extinguish). And as for TM, I think it may be a turning point, in a negative sense - will give him an easy reason to have his head turned.

Sky Blue Harry H

If we sold Maddison and got 3 good players in, into the bargain as well as a stack load of cash that could well prove to be a very good deal for us.

McQuoid, Coulibaly and Alsopp mmmmmmmmmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread