Why I am confident For The Rest Of The Season (1 Viewer)

st john

Lets face it, December hasn't been a great month results-wise and it's easy to see why. Yes we have had key players out though injury and suspension, and had to endure some very poor refereeing decisions, but I think there is another, much more fundamental reason - the time of year.
Several of our key players are very young, away from their families and mates, and possibly even their girlfriends at Christmas, possibly for the first time in their lives. They see their mates going out and having a great time while they are having to knuckle down and train or play games.
They are professional footballers, I know, and they will have to get used to working away from home over Christmas, but just think back to when you were that age, and the fun you had at Christmas time (well, some of us anyway).
Social media doesn't help either, a quick look at some of their Twitter posts give a good clue, and I think TM was reacting to this with the changes he made yesterday.
Things will pick up, (or get changed) in January.

GaryJones

Plus - I just cant see Walsall and Burton keeping up this form although Im worried about the inevitable surge from the likes of Wigan and Sheff Utd. We just need to replicate the first half of the season and we will finish top 6 - Simples!

matesx

Yeah but our fans are fucking morons mate and will surely fuck it up by being a bit silly.

callumeast

Teams have worked us out a little, and in addition to that, we have a team of youngsters and it is Xmas. We've been poor at closing games out and being clinical, but perhaps with the rest after the festive period we can get that back. I'm confident, but we can't have extended periods of slump like this again this season really.

fernandopartridge

Plus - I just cant see Walsall and Burton keeping up this form although Im worried about the inevitable surge from the likes of Wigan and Sheff Utd. We just need to replicate the first half of the season and we will finish top 6 - Simples!
I'd be stunned if Sheffield United surged! They beat us but looked a poor side

stupot07

January is a huge month for us both in terms of recruitment and retention and the Walsall and Burton games.

We desperately need to turn the current form around and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

higgs

I think sheff utd have won 4 on d bounce now they prob have funds to strengthen in Jan and good manager adkins knows this division

covcity4life

seems obvious considering hes scored 2 in 2 but i think maddison is gonna be a huge x factor for us this second half of season. expect us to start flowing again upfront very soon

Adge

I think if Cole stays he could well have a major impact second half of the season aswell.

Gazolba

Lets face it, December hasn't been a great month results-wise and it's easy to see why. Yes we have had key players out though injury and suspension, and had to endure some very poor refereeing decisions, but I think there is another, much more fundamental reason - the time of year.
Several of our key players are very young, away from their families and mates, and possibly even their girlfriends at Christmas, possibly for the first time in their lives. They see their mates going out and having a great time while they are having to knuckle down and train or play games.
They are professional footballers, I know, and they will have to get used to working away from home over Christmas, but just think back to when you were that age, and the fun you had at Christmas time (well, some of us anyway).
Social media doesn't help either, a quick look at some of their Twitter posts give a good clue, and I think TM was reacting to this with the changes he made yesterday.
Things will pick up, (or get changed) in January.

Don't those issues apply to almost every team? So wouldn't all the teams pick up after Christmas and the New Year?

st john

Don't those issues apply to almost every team? So wouldn't all the teams pick up after Christmas and the New Year?
Well, we're a team with several very young players that are key to our performance, Arma, Kent, Murphy, Lameras are all away from their normal environment. I can't think of many other teams that have so many key players around that age who may be away from home. Our form has dipped recently and this could be why. It doesn't mean that all young players will suffer from being homesick to the extent that it affects their team's results.

No Way Back

We seem to have a lost a certain amount of pace & energy from earlier in the season.

Maybe we were an unknown quantity but other managers having now watched us play are taking steps to counteract us, or
Maybe its down to us changing players around too often, or
Maybe this is the sort of inconsistency we should expect from young inexperienced players.

We have definitely lost something & need to find a way to get it back quick if we're serious about automatic promotion.

Warwickhunt

We seem to have a lost a certain amount of pace & energy from earlier in the season.

Maybe we were an unknown quantity but other managers having now watched us play are taking steps to counteract us, or
Maybe its down to us changing players around too often, or
Maybe this is the sort of inconsistency we should expect from young inexperienced players.

We have definitely lost something & need to find a way to get it back quick if we're serious about automatic promotion.
I think TM has to change around a lot to confuse these teams who watch us constantly and we have to keep them guessing also we need a plan B and I think TM is doing that with these games over xmas

Macca

I don't buy this "teams have figured us out" stuff. I imagine most people have figured Barcelona out but it hasn't helped anyone

Kingokings204

I don't buy this "teams have figured us out" stuff. I imagine most people have figured Barcelona out but it hasn't helped anyone

Couldn't agree more.

Why hasn't anyone "figured" out Walsall and burton yet?

Macca

It's not a criticism of the team it just makes me laugh. It seems to be trotted out whenever we don't get a win. "Teams have figured us out"

lifeskyblue

Absolutely right. If you are good enough you will normally create the chances to win. I would still back our front and midfield players to break down most league 1 sides as long as our players are at the top of their game. I don't think sides have particularly Sussed us out but rather we are not as energetic/quick as we were earlier in season and we are more reticent in getting the ball forward quickly. AA looks a bit jaded...fleck has missed a few games and Kent hasn't yet learnt to take the right option consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazolba

I imagine most people have figured Barcelona out but it hasn't helped anyone

I think it certainly has helped their opponents. However, you picked a poor example because Barcelona and Real Madrid have by far the best teams in their League, so the advantage of studying them is muted by the fact they are so inherently superior. The value of studying your opponents is more relevant in a league like L1 where anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

Gazolba

Couldn't agree more.

Why hasn't anyone "figured" out Walsall and burton yet?

They have, but Walsall and Burton have figured them out too. You cannot deny that at the start of the season when every team is an unknown quantity, the better teams can easily dominate but as the season progresses other teams learn of your strengths and weaknesses. Of course, it works both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread